dbfx - Market maker or ECN?

I
Now DBFX is a copy of FXCM and I believe things will not getting better ...
Also the German Market is not so liquide as you mean ...I believe London Banks are
better paying then Frankfurts JunkSellers ...:LOL:

U K and all other german , U S etc etc banks trade the same fx markets,they go into the main markets only when they have large risk to cover, otherwise you trade their books.

DBFX is London based

dbFX is Deutsche Bank’s online margin forex trading platform for individuals and small institutions. Based in the United Kingdom, dbFX is FSA regulated and covers over 82 countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBFX

Last edited:
It really is very difficult to find the true intention of posters wit one post.DBFX is currently gobbling up competitors, it is understandable why competitors would want to smear Deutsche bank.

Is anybody else really having problems , other than competitors having problems?

I've read through many of your posts here on T2W. First, I am not new to trading. Second, I am not new to trading forums. Third, I am an individual trader managing his own capital and not a paid shill for anyone, for anything nor for any reason.

Yours is not a problem of intellect, its a mere problem of slight narrow mindedness. I don't mean that personally - as many things can be taken out of context when reading one's writing on a forum such as this - I mean that in the context of having read many of your posts regarding (in specific) dbFX.

Did you actually read my post?

In my view (and I've re-read my own writing to be sure), it does not read like one who is being paid to write. It reads like one who has been lied to by yet another FX intermediary - is there anything new about that concept - I doubt it.

I worked at Oracle, when the Enterprise Software Industry was in fact, still, THE Enterprise Software Industry, before Silicone Valley turned into the virtual Software dust bowl that it is today. I worked in SV during the peak - at the boom of technology in this country. I was there, when things were really good - when Systems Engineers (pray tell) were making half a million per year, doing - well, Systems Engineering. I know Enterprise Technology. Many of the systemic systems running today throughout much of G100 and G1000 community are systems that one way or another, I had my hands on - in some fashion, either in part (mostly) or systemically. From financial institutions to hospitals, to the Federal government, to the U.S. Supreme Court, to DoD, to national retail chains, to aerospace, to higher education, to scientific institutions, etc., there are precious few mainstream industries and/or institutions whose IT department and/or Datacenter would be unfamiliar territory to me. Many sky miles still un-used.

What I can tell you about the systemic and simultaneous failures of both dbFX and FXCM at the Server/Gateway/Router/Network level on 1/23/10, would not be anything surprising to those that suffered through it - for they already know that what I've reported is true. What I find most interesting about the dual failure, is that it happened in the first place! No TRULY mission critical enterprise system should ever be exposed to a single fault interruption that cascades systemically - if it does, then it is not truly enterprise, nor is it truly mission critical and that bring up my next point.

If a business entity decides to enter the mainstream of a market that trades on average $3.4 Trillion per day (in the aggregate) where there is no central clearing (in the aggregate), that doing so absent a truly enterprise schema for hardware, software and network, is like playing Russian Roulette with the very deposits that make your business model work in the first place. But, that is a technical discussion for a different kind of forum, quite possibly.

My main point (jumping into the tail end of this thread at the last minute) is that dbFX should NOT ever LIE to me, or to any of its other customers. When I am told that my physical account sits on a physical server installed on the physical grounds of the physical building housing the physical business entity known as Deutsche Bank and that when I login to my physical account, that I do so through the physical Gateway (read: Firewall in most Corporate schemes) and to a physical Server owned, operated and maintained by Deutsche Bank, only LATER to find out (by way of a failuire) that my actual TCP/IP Network path is being routed through an FXCM Server (at any level of the logon sequence - regardless) - THEN - I realize that I have been LIED to.

Here's more proof:

dbFXisFXCM.jpg

I took a quick screen snapshot of the dialog box upon failure to login to the dbFX Trade Station. The first line reads: Cannot Connect to: http://dbFX.FXCMCORPORATE.com server.

Open a windows command line by typing "CMD" off the windows primary menu: Run > Start. Type cd C:\ to get to the root. Then, from the root, type the string: Ping http:\\dbfx.fxcmcorporate.com (then hit enter or return).

You will obtain ping stats from a server called: 208.87.149.250. Now, for those of you with dbFX accounts, go logon to your dbFX Trading Station and let the application run. Then go back to the command prompt (c:\>) and type the string: netstat (while logged into your dbFX Trading Station).

This will show you a list of all your active network connections. Notice that somewhere in that list you will find the Server called: dbdemo.fxcorporate.com.

Now, from the root (c:\>) type the string: Ping dbdemo.fxcorporate.com.

What you will get is the IP address of: 204.8.241.13.

Now, note the difference between 208.87.149.250 and 204.8.241.13.

Next, go back to the root (c:\>) and type the string: tracert 208.87.149.250, then run the same string for 204.8.241.13. You will find that 208.8.241.13 will resolve to itself but BEFORE it does, the very last hop it makes is a system called: fxcorporate-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.69.26].

That "gw" stands for Gateway, folks. And, that is how the cookie crumbles. When you logged into your dbFX "Server" you had no idea that you were doing it through an FXCM Gateway.

Thus, dbFX has no physical differentiation in its software, hardware and network technology, from FXCM. So, how on earth can they claim to be otherwise?

I'll leave that question up to the technology experts on this forum to decide. ;)

So, all of this looks much more like an ASP Model to me, than anything else. However, when you ask BOTH db and FXCM whether or not dbFX is using FXCM as its Application Service Provider, BOTH entities tell you flat out - No.

Then what the heck is their relationship if not born straight from the ASP Model?

The problem here is that Deutsche Bank FX tells you flat out that when you establish an account with them, that you are accessing their data feed and their pricing model. Well, if I'm logging on to an FXCM Server, maintained by FXCM, controlled by FXCM and housed by FXCM, then how do I know as a customer that FXCM's data feed and pricing model is NOT what I interact with as a customer of dbFX? Answer, there is NO WAY for me to know that given the IP addressing and the Gateways being used by dbFX - which just happen to belong to FXCM.

Therefore, dbFX MUST be leasing not only the Software, but the Hardware AND the Network as well. Well, by any definition that I am aware of after spending almost two decades in the Enterprise Technology Industry, such an arrangement is common and it IS called and ASP Model. Which means, that when I login to my dbFX account, I do so in NAME only for the most part (given the business model in focus here - others will vary). And, I have no guarantee that the data (pricing streams) I access belong to dbFX. None, whatsoever.

Until I can go on-site and visit the actual Datacenter or IT Division where the so-called stand-alone dbFX application server is installed, configured and running, then I cannot believe the hype that I've been sold when dbFX tells me that they are using their own data feeds for pricing and dealing. Not to mention TRADE EXECUTION folks! Where the heck is that taking place when I open a dbFX account? Hello!

So, please, understand that I am a trader with a technology background (there are PLENTY of us out here, no doubt) and that you cannot merely tell me that you are using your own data feed for pricing or that you are handling your own trade execution when each time I logon to my trading station, I do so through an FXCM piece of hardware and through an FXCM network architecture.

Again, the only sane question that remains is WHY? Why would a serious Bank like Deutsche Bank, get involved with such a sleazy cheesy outfit like FXCM in the first darn place. Sure, db had enough capital to invest in a serious trading platform housed under their own roof.

Barclays is looking SO much better right now! Heck, against FXCM, even CitiFX is looking good right now (ouch!). I had a lot riding on Deutsche Bank FX being the real deal, but I've obviously been proven flat out wrong.

Any intelligent rebuttal to my analysis?

And, no - I do not have a Barclays or CitiFX account and never have. However, I will be on the phone first thing Monday morning to talk to Barclays about what they have to offer, but it looks like the only support Institutional Accounts. Depending on the opening balance requirements, I could be a Barclays user by the end of next week.

Other than that, all I have left is CitiFX and I already know that I will have to hold my nose to pull the trigger on that one, given the platform they have decided to use for their offering, the Saxo Stank Trading Complication. Sorry, I mean to say, the Saxo Bank Trading Station. No offense.

Come on Barclays! Roll me a 7 - just be the real deal, please.

Sorry, dbFXCM. You lied to me and you only get to do that ONCE per lifetime. This is not a joke dbFXCM. My financial future and security depends on my ability to trade and trade with a reputable entity. Integrity means everything to me and you've demonstrated that you have NONE.

A lying Bank? Geee, go figure that one.

Have to agree with number7. And why does a German bank (and I am German) have a New York contact number for fx.

Any intelligent rebuttal to my analysis?

I once installed a dbfx platform , and subsequently installed a fxcm platform.The FXCM platform overwrote the dbfx platform,which disappeared from my computer.

I deleted both the platforms and reinstalled the DBFX platform, never again had any problems.

Your problem is similar to spyware.You are using demo I presume, and many demo accounts from different brokers use feeds from one source like metatrader.

I know all the outfits like Boston Technology that support both FXCM and DBFX.Some outfits may go out of business ,if the new DBFX pricing model is as good as it appears.

I once installed a dbfx platform , and subsequently installed a fxcm platform.The FXCM platform overwrote the dbfx platform,which disappeared from my computer.

I deleted both the platforms and reinstalled the DBFX platform, never again had any problems.

Your problem is similar to spyware.You are using demo I presume, and many demo accounts from different brokers use feeds from one source like metatrader.

Sorry, been around the technology business too long for that. I've also been around long enough to know when to open of the windows registry to remove keys. But, the most telling indication was the very fact that my dbFX client was attempting to login through an FXCM Server - game over. The fact that I went through the network verification process here in writing, not withstanding. She connects to an FXCM piece of hardware and unless you had access to the error message, you will never know that until you run a netstat test from your command line. The can mask the name of the box, but they cannot hide the network path - not to be confused with a file path - they are not the same concepts.

I know all the outfits like Boston Technology that support both FXCM and DBFX.Some outfits may go out of business ,if the new DBFX pricing model is as good as it appears.

None of them are Enterprise Technology Companies - not one. That notwithstanding, however, the dialog box thrown by the 32-bit fat client sitting on my HDD when it failed to connect to the FXCM host-gateway server, tells me everything I need to know.

Under what Software Agreement (and I've dealt with many an ESA in my day) would company (A) sends its customers logon sequence to company (B) and through a NAS protocol that did not belong to company (A), where said Software Agreement as not born straight from an ASP Model? I'd like someone to tell me how drawing the Spyware analog compares to that.

dbFX = FXCM. Or, put another way, just simply: dbFXCM.

The math is incredibly easy at this point, I just don't know why it took me so long to run netstat. Wait - yes I do. I never ran the network connectivity test on my computer because I TRUSTED what Deutsche Bank was telling me on the phone and during chat sessions prior to installing their product on my HDD. That's why I never checked it out and that was purely my fault - it will never happen again.

Always, run a network connections test on ALL Client Server Applications running on your HDD to verify the source and routing. I should have known better - of all types of people - I should have known.

Remember the Alamo: fxcorporate-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.69.26] A Gateway to total disappointment.

I'm not a shill - I'm a trader and a pretty good one, too - as well as a former technology consultant/engineer. The facts speak for themselves much the same way that hexadecimal 77.67.69.26 speaks for itself. Or, the way that Hex 204.8.241.13 speaks for itself. These systems sit behind FXCM firewalls - period.

The End.

Last edited:
Have to agree with number7. And why does a German bank (and I am German) have a New York contact number for fx.

Well, I'm seriously considering Barclays right now - in fact, I can almost all but guarantee that I'll be using them, and they have New York contact number for FX. However, I'm 100% positive that Barclays is not using the FXCM front-end and 100% positive that they are not using the FXCM originated feed for their pricing engine and that singular fact makes me more at ease. Looking (from a distance) at some of the functionality of their trading platform for FX, equities and others, I don't see them all of a sudden going on the cheap when it comes to their FX data feed, claiming the need to run their customer accounts through an FXCM gateway server.

From the outside looking in, thus far and with qualifications (no doubt), Barclays is looking pretty good to me at this stage. I'll know more on Monday.

Check this out Claudia:

powerfillplus.jpg

They call it PowerFill+ and one of the cooler things about it, is the fact they it allows you to set Time & Date Stamps on trades at various levels of your choosing. When I stop and think about all of the possibilities that having such a tool enables in my own trading system, I blush. :eek: It allows one to actually execute trades through Excel (which is where my trade signal engine sits) with price feeds into Excel, no less - and it also has a order type logic called If Done which means that you should be able to link some logic into the actual trade execution side of your normal trade signal generation.

You can also trade plain vanilla options as well, but like in any FX Options environment, one must always pay attention to market depth and liquidity. PFGBest also has the ability to trade plain vanilla style options, but when you do, you trade on their books - not much liquidity there.

So, overall, based on what I can tell from the outside looking in thus far (the homework done at this stage), Barclays looks at least "decent" if that's not too bleachy a word. Again, can't wait for Monday to learn more details.

Trading Platform looks somewhat impressive as well, but there is no demo download - maybe that's by design.

http://www.barx.com/fx/index.html

Well, I'm seriously considering Barclays right now - in fact, I can almost all but guarantee that I'll be using them, and they have New York contact number for FX. However, I'm 100% positive that Barclays is not using the FXCM front-end and 100% positive that they are not using the FXCM originated feed for their pricing engine and that singular fact makes me more at ease. Looking (from a distance) at some of the functionality of their trading platform for FX, equities and others, I don't see them all of a sudden going on the cheap when it comes to their FX data feed, claiming the need to run their customer accounts through an FXCM gateway server.

From the outside looking in, thus far and with qualifications (no doubt), Barclays is looking pretty good to me at this stage. I'll know more on Monday.

Check this out Claudia:

powerfillplus.jpg

They call it PowerFill+ and one of the cooler things about it, is the fact they it allows you to set Time & Date Stamps on trades at various levels of your choosing. When I stop and think about all of the possibilities that having such a tool enables in my own trading system, I blush. :eek: It allows one to actually execute trades through Excel (which is where my trade signal engine sits) with price feeds into Excel, no less - and it also has a order type logic called If Done which means that you should be able to link some logic into the actual trade execution side of your normal trade signal generation.

You can also trade plain vanilla options as well, but like in any FX Options environment, one must always pay attention to market depth and liquidity. PFGBest also has the ability to trade plain vanilla style options, but when you do, you trade on their books - not much liquidity there.

So, overall, based on what I can tell from the outside looking in thus far (the homework done at this stage), Barclays looks at least "decent" if that's not too bleachy a word. Again, can't wait for Monday to learn more details.

Trading Platform looks somewhat impressive as well, but there is no demo download - maybe that's by design.

http://www.barx.com/fx/index.html

I tried Barx from Barclays stockbrokers.This was a retail version ,but I don't believe they provide the BARX used by instituitions..The spreads on cable put me off 4 pips.

Last edited:

]

I don't know whether they limit the size at all for the retail market, but as far as the actual institutional platform, you can trade very decent size on there. Doesn't even go to dealer intervention until a certain threshold (in common with almost all bank platforms). I think your concerns regarding liquidity are a little unfounded and not necessarily based on a genuine knowledge of how the process works (as differentiated to how the downstream pricing of spot fx to the retail world works). Not the same animal at all.

Hope that helps.

GJ

I tried Barx from Barclays stockbrokers.This was a retail version ,but I don't believe they provide the BARX used by instituitions..The spreads on cable put me off 4 pips.

Just got off the phone with Barclays.

The 212 number shown on their website under the Barclays Capital web-domain is for its Technical Support Department. A bit odd that they would post their tech support number as the initial contact for outsiders. I'm not sure why they would route incoming new business that way.

I was told that I would get a call-back from "someone" that could handle the call and that their offering was for Institutional Accounts. The tech rep did not tell me what their definition of "Institutional" means (initial account balance level) but I was promised a call back, so I'll post my findings then. I guess my call back will be from their Private Accounts division.

The upfront question I will have for them is who wrote the object model for the trading platform they offer and whether or not they actually support retail AND institutional traders and of so, at what initial funding (account size) level. I'll also want to know whether or not they offer a watered down version of their institutional platform to their retail traders, or if both sides are using the same technology (spreads, access to depth of market, etc., not withstanding).

Regarding the 4 pip spread on dbFX. I often times see 4-5 pip spreads on GBPUSD through the dbFX platform, so I'm not sure about the emphasis on "4 pips" as I see it regularly during medium to heavy volatility on that particular pair. I like the GBPUSD because of its volatility, whereas, some traders would shy away from it. If you study the data on the GBPUSD as I have, then you will note that its movements are typically 1.35 times that of the EURUSD, on average (for the most part). That extra volatility can work for you, or against you, but you can compensate for the downside by using proper money management technique and leave the upside potential in place. Thus, I favor large volatility pairs over lower vol pairs, expressly for that reason. The newbie trader won't yet understand how to compensate for volatility running against their trade.

I'll post more when I hear back from them.

Just got off the phone with Barclays.

The upfront question I will have for them is who wrote the object model for the trading platform they offer and whether or not they actually support retail AND institutional traders and of so, at what initial funding (account size) level. I'll also want to know whether or not they offer a watered down version of their institutional platform to their retail traders, or if both sides are using the same technology (spreads, access to depth of market, etc., not withstanding).

Regarding the 4 pip spread on dbFX. I often times see 4-5 pip spreads on GBPUSD through the dbFX platform, so I'm not sure about the emphasis on "4 pips" as I see it regularly during medium to heavy volatility on that particular pair.

It may be

http://protrader.net/protrader-support/downloads/

I don't know whether they limit the size at all for the retail market, but as far as the actual institutional platform, you can trade very decent size on there.

How do you define "decent?"

At the top-end of my trading, I'll be looking at moving between 20,000 to 50,000 lots per week. That's far to many individual trades on any retail platform that I know of, nor would I want the headache of trying to manage that many open positions during the course of one week. So, I'll need access to a platform that allows me to trade in Yards. This language does not apply to Options, I know, but I use it here just to give you the dollar volume concept that I'll be dealing with on the top-end of my trading. I'm not there yet, but it should be sometime this year when these lot levels become a weekly reality. I do not believe that there is any Options platform right now in FX that can handle that level of notional value. So, defining "decent" helps.

Doesn't even go to dealer intervention until a certain threshold (in common with almost all bank platforms).

"A certain threshold" - yes. They all have to protect themselves to some degree. But, again, in my case that threshold might be well beyond the current limits of FX Options liquidity.

I think your concerns regarding liquidity are a little unfounded and not necessarily based on a genuine knowledge of how the process works (as differentiated to how the downstream pricing of spot fx to the retail world works). Not the same animal at all.

Options liquidity in any market is always less (by mathematical definition) then the underlying instrument from which the derivative obtains its value. If I'm going to be pushing 1-4 Billion notional value around weekly, which translates (under my model) to an account balance of between 20 to 100 Million inclusive of margin requirement (depending on leverage - which is another issue, as no one will most likely allow me to trade at my current 100:1 that way - but that's another post entirely).

So, the size of my future options trades does have a liquidity issue attached as far as advertised trade execution goes. All the talk that intermediaries do regarding "fastest execution" is concerned, is based to a large degree on the "speed" with which they can take the other side of your position from within their own deal book - their specific, in-house pool of liquidity. Your trade execution times AND fill accuracy drops-off with most intermediaries when you start trading larger sizes.

The trade who already trades large enough positions already knows this is true and should understand why. The dealing desk (regardless of those that tell you they have none - they lie) sees your position coming through the platform and either they manually or through an automated route, "realize" that they will not be taking the other side of your position in-house. At that point, you get finally get routed outside of their proprietary pool and into the real interbank market, hopefully, if not a secondary pool (larger) that they never told you about when you opened your account.

Well, this stuff takes one thing: TIME. And, the time that all this takes is why you have the problem of Slippage, Re-Quotes, Partial Fills, Non-Fills, and all the other horse pookie (did I spell that correctly?) that people run into all too frequently in this business.

Now, as far as the exact details on precisely WHO is providing the liquidity is concerned, then hopefully you can educate me. But, knowing how my order is being routed, re-routed, screwed and urinated on, is mostly known by now.

They way I see it, when Retail Forex came out and was made available to the public (by definition - retail), that created (in broad spectrum terms) two currency markets. Most individual traders never have their trades executed against the real interbank liquidity pool and instead, unannounced to them, get filled inside their intermediaries book - their trade, never leaves their brokers domain. This is where and WHY all the manipulation is possible against individual positions related to the common in-house spread on a particular pair (if I've done my homework correctly and learned my lesson well).

Manipulation of the spread is real and is no joke, when you trade with a broker/intermediary within their domain - deal book. If you can actually get executed by your intermediary against the real interbank market, then such manipulations are for the most part forestalled because the spreads are more closely aligned with what the real players on interbank are dealing with. In this way, when we look at the 1 minute chart, we can better understand why there are such quick/rapid price extractions (called spikes) from one extreme to the other (long and short).

There is a lot of talk right now going on about the CFTC placing limits on leverage and restricting it for U.S. based traders down to 10:1. That idea is now being floated as a possibility. The silly unintended consequences and ramifications of doing that notwithstanding (more bureaucrats messing up yet another fine industry), the distillation from such an idea might lead to the concept or the notion that the entire International Currency Market should now have a Global Currency Exchange System - essentially turning the entire thing into a sort of Global Area ECN - or what I call, a GAECN.

I'm not entirely ashamed to admit that such a Global Area Electronic Exchange System would be a supremely bad idea, as it would go a very long way in eliminated currency price extractions (spikes) that are being caused precisely for the reasons outlined above (and other reasons). It would provide Global Transparency and a Price and Time concept currently missing from our Industry. Bad brokers would be gone (not all but most) and it would then turn the focus for Forex Intermediaries onto building genuine trading applications with built-in trade execution logic as a way of differentiating themselves from one another. Thus, we would all benefit from more robust, flexible, logical and creative trading platforms.

From 2004 to 2007, this market has grown by more than 60%. From just over $1 Trillion to $3.4 Trillion daily in transactions within the same time-frame. If the same growth rate is seen for 2007 to 2010, the next report should show the Currency Markets now producing more than $5 Trillion daily transactions and by the year 2016, it will produce almost $14 Trillion daily turn-overs, which is on par with the current U.S. GDP. With an industry growing that rapidly, it will attract many forms of scams and schemes. Thus, not placing the industry under something like a Global Area Electronic Exchange System, could have deleterious effects on the global economy itself.

The title of this tread is: "Market Maker or ECN?"

Clearly, one should be able to see where my vote would go on the question itself. Private ECN? No. A Global type ECN with global regulatory authority at the helm? Most likely, yes. Will it take a G7 meeting for something like this to get done? I don't know - but, I'd certainly like to be the one who gives the presentation to the G7 if and when it does happen.

Just my 2 pips worth.

Regarding the 4 pip spread on dbFX. I often times see 4-5 pip spreads on GBPUSD through the dbFX platform, so I'm not sure about the emphasis on "4 pips" as I see it regularly during medium to heavy volatility on that particular pair. I like the GBPUSD because of its volatility, whereas, some traders would shy away from it. If you study the data on the GBPUSD as I have, then you will note that its movements are typically 1.35 times that of the EURUSD, on average (for the most part). That extra volatility can work for you, or against you, but you can compensate for the downside by using proper money management technique and leave the upside potential in place. Thus, I favor large volatility pairs over lower vol pairs, expressly for that reason. The newbie trader won't yet understand how to compensate for volatility running against their trade.

Who am I to argue against such masterly anylysis, thats why the pros don't trade euro/usd?.:cheesy:

EL support and the PT Visual Advisor direct integration to EA development (as a quick way to get started on visual cues while researching new ideas), was especially interesting. Drawbacks: .Net, I prefer a flat-out C++ IDE and I did not see some of the larger (top tier) liquidity providers listed.

Overall first impression: Nice! But, need to learn more about PFSoft in general (homework). At some point, creating a separate business entity to trade through will be necessary, as I take the role of "Fund Manager" over my own capital (private/not public - I'm not interesting in managing anyone else's capital) - so, eventually, something like this will come into better focus for me by the end of this year, or early next.

I've thus far looked at things like HotSpot, Currenex, Autobahn, etc., but have ended up disappointed more times than not. The latest being db - I'm really sad about that as I had big plans around db - but, being flexible is the key in trading well.

Very interesting - thanks. :)

Are you still with Barclays? If not, why - was something done that was not to your liking, or did you simply find a platform that works better for your method of trading?

Are you still with Barclays? If not, why - was something done that was not to your liking, or did you simply find a platform that works better for your method of trading?

I got the same reply as you did from Barclays,an offer from their stockbrokers to use retail and pay silly spreads.It was unattractive.

I find ODL's stp using metatrader quite adequate for my automated systems.It is working very nicely.

For manual trading I like the DBFX platform,the low spreads(yet to test on live) ,high liquidity (yet to test on live) and the double click trading mode with pre-set stop and limit is just brilliant.I am practising the 1,000 % a year system on it,its working for my manual style of trading on dbfx.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gen...easily-make-1000-per-year-17.html#post1033742

Click on foreign exchange demos.These are the spreads I was quoted.

http://www.barx.com/demos/index.html

I think if you are going large enough, you get the better pricing - no different than most that offer the dual services of retail and institutional. CitiFX, for example, says that it offers tighter spreads for its commercial accounts and more flexibility in sizing per trade. Most everyone I've seen leaves something on the table for the commercial account holder.

I should have no problem "qualifying" as an "Institutional" account, so If I see bigger spreads during normal market conditions, I'll certainly post the same - especially, if I am told to expect tightness.

But, in the final analysis, with the way I trade, even a 10 spread won't stop me. They have to eat, I get that, but they don't have to be greedy either, I get that too.

Where the spreads the only thing you found unsatisfactory about Barclays? I still have not received a phone call, which I find a bit interesting given the hyper competitiveness in their line of business. But, maybe that's a good sign - not to be in a hurry to "sign-up" another "victim" could be a very good indication of their ethical baseline - not sure, but we shall see.

As far as db is concerned - hey - they told me that were stand-alone 32 bit client/server through their own systems and I found out last Friday, that such a statement was untrue. So, I'm applying that Jury instruction you get here in the States where the judge instructs the Jury that if they find a witness taking the stand and lying about one are of testimony, they can discount ALL areas of the witnesses relevant testimony - or, something close to that anyway. In other words, my Mother used to say that if person will lie, then they will cheat. And, if they will cheat, then they will steal. And, if they will steal, then they will kill.

Why they got hooked-up with FXCM (I understand the cost of entry to the Retail business storyline) is something I will never fully understand, but why they lied about what their back-office relationship was, is unrecoverable for me personally.

However, I wish you well with them and I hope you don't run into any FXCM type behavior. I started out with FXCM, so I know how they can be at times.

I was told that I would get a call-back from "someone" that could handle the call and that their offering was for Institutional Accounts. The tech rep did not tell me what their definition of "Institutional" means (initial account balance level) but I was promised a call back, so I'll post my findings then. I guess my call back will be from their Private Accounts division.

It probably means just what it says - institutions. May have nothing to do with what size your account is, or what size you're typically trading, and be more about the fact that credit and operations wise you're set up as an individual by the sounds of things. You're not an institution.

GJ