dbfx - Market maker or ECN?

THEY didn't call it that at all - which is precisely my point. It's rank amateurs that called it that, and rather than rising above such sloppiness they're just going with it. Why don't they just fill the website with bad English and street slang while they're at it. They're buying an off the shelf solution to try and engineer a quick route into a market they didn't give two hoots about before the events of two years ago.

They're buying an off the shelf solution to try and engineer a quick route into a market they didn't give two hoots about before the events of two years ago.

G J

I hope their off the shelf solution does not include the Refco blood and genes , and
the customised dealer plug in aimed at maximum slippage infliction (if such software exists).The metatrader platform would have been cheaper and easier to use , with its dealer plug in aimed at cleaning customer's accounts faster with bucket shop tactics.

This is the end of the bucket shops , if DBFX get their act together.

O D T

using limit orders on a single bank platform like DBFX won't help you. You won't get given at your level ususally till the platform's offered there. All it does is automate to increase speed and mitigate 'fat finger' risk.

A true ecn will allow you the opportunity to earn rather than always cross the spread. But only if you're set up the right way. If, for example, you have a currenex platform, but the only liquidity you see is a bunch of aggregated streaming bank feeds it's not a true ecn environment, it just looks a bit like one. Common misconception.

GJ

I have just looked at the currenex via Berkeley futures and ODL's live account fx spreads .They are much better than DBFX and execution is instant.Dbfx spreads on cable are 3.5 ,usd chf 3, usd yen 3 whereas ODL cable is 2 , usd chf 2 and usd yen 2.

The execution on ODL is great and they introducing metatrader proactive , and Alpari is introducing STP, ECN via currenex

Things are getting rosier for traders and DBFX will need to gain another edge

O D T

I don't know why so many retail traders obsess about spread above all other things (even high end traders), and why people get so hung up on getting a currenex platform or similar. REALLY not what it's all about.

I don't know why so many retail traders obsess about spread above all other things (even high end traders), and why people get so hung up on getting a currenex platform or similar. REALLY not what it's all about.

What is all about?Do tell us !

Analysis were done from 2001 to 2008, using mechanical systems ,31571 trades produced 104,519 pips ,an average profit of 3.3 pips.

Same tests were applied to a currency pair with 2 pips more spread , profit per trade dropped to below 1 pip and draw down increased.

Execution being equal , spread make a lot of difference to bottom line.

O D T

Well I always thought DBFX was a white label of FXCMs liquidity. You trying to tell me this isn't so? Just because it has the DB badge on it, doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be the same as autobahn but in miniature. It doesn't really matter to me as I don't trade retail FX but you may want to check your facts. Alternatively, if I'm demonstrably wrong I apologise.

Maybe all the fxselect currency traders trade on Autobahn or Fxselect?

http://www.pamfx.de/fileadmin/publikationen/FX_Select_Brochure.pdf

Darn Why is Refco's blood spilling ?

O D T

Does it really matter?

************************************************************************************
Anyone with experience with Deutsche Bank's dbfx?
Are they any good? Are they a Market maker or ECN?
Does the luxury of having the name Deutsche Bank associated with it imply that they are legitimate and will not go stop hunting, etc?

TIA.
**********************************************************************************
Does it really matter what position they take on FX? If you are trading large, huge amounts, e.g., 150 Million into the market then you wouldn`t be doing that on their platform anyhow but on the phone to them and into the real inter-bank market!

They probably act as MM for one particular currency and ECN for others? So really its just another platform among many - all much of a muchness at the end of the day!

At least thats my thoughts on the subject and of what I have been learning about the operations of te FX markets over the months.

************************************************************************************
Anyone with experience with Deutsche Bank's dbfx?
Are they any good? Are they a Market maker or ECN?
Does the luxury of having the name Deutsche Bank associated with it imply that they are legitimate and will not go stop hunting, etc?

TIA.
**********************************************************************************
Does it really matter what position they take on FX? If you are trading large, huge amounts, e.g., 150 Million into the market then you wouldn`t be doing that on their platform anyhow but on the phone to them and into the real inter-bank market!

They probably act as MM for one particular currency and ECN for others? So really its just another platform among many - all much of a muchness at the end of the day!

At least thats my thoughts on the subject and of what I have been learning about the operations of te FX markets over the months.

The spreads seem better on Euro /usd with as little as 1.3 pips for retail clients.

Execution is likely to be great ,with no hanky panky like requotes ,no execution delays via dealer plug ins ,no dealing desk , no bonus freaks trying to screw traders for extra spreads etc.

Access to Deutsche banks liquidity of 20% of daily fx volume of $4 tn.Great platform and API

FX poll 2009: Embattled banks boosted by performance in booming FX markets May 2009 weeklyFiX

Deutsche

THEY didn't call it that at all - which is precisely my point. It's rank amateurs that called it that, and rather than rising above such sloppiness they're just going with it. Why don't they just fill the website with bad English and street slang while they're at it. They're buying an off the shelf solution to try and engineer a quick route into a market they didn't give two hoots about before the events of two years ago.

Are you not doing similar - trying to make money in a market in which you could not get a peep inside before computers became cheap.
DB is better than Citibank and BOA and JPM and Merrill and others where Harvard-trained MBAs screw the unwary behind indecipherable "structured products".

Vilas.

dbFX

G J

I hope their off the shelf solution does not include the Refco blood and genes , and
the customised dealer plug in aimed at maximum slippage infliction (if such software exists).The metatrader platform would have been cheaper and easier to use , with its dealer plug in aimed at cleaning customer's accounts faster with bucket shop tactics.

This is the end of the bucket shops , if DBFX get their act together.

O D T

I agree with you 100 %. Problem is lots of "would be suckers" would rather be gypped by bucket shops than deal with someone like DB. I think it has something to do with their ego - they can make silly comments about others but no one would give them credence if they speak ill about the likes of DB.

Vilas

I agree with you 100 %. Problem is lots of "would be suckers" would rather be gypped by bucket shops than deal with someone like DB. I think it has something to do with their ego - they can make silly comments about others but no one would give them credence if they speak ill about the likes of DB.

Vilas

There is hidden agenda by the bucketshops to defame DBFX and use message boards to misinform the public.These bucket shop owners are going around forums posting lies about DBFX .Just google DBFX and read the lies on the internet.

The bucketshops fear DBFX .The end is near cause the business model of bucket shops is dissapearing , as traders realise the 2/3 extra spreads of bucketshops are eating trader's profits, and do not forget the deliberate slippage profits of bucket shops.

OILDAYTRADER

dbFX

There is hidden agenda by the bucketshops to defame DBFX and use message boards to misinform the public.These bucket shop owners are going around forums posting lies about DBFX .Just google DBFX and read the lies on the internet.

The bucketshops fear DBFX .The end is near cause the business model of bucket shops is dissapearing , as traders realise the 2/3 extra spreads of bucketshops are eating trader's profits, and do not forget the deliberate slippage profits of bucket shops.

OILDAYTRADER

I agree 100% with you. DB is DB. It is a pity that even some seniors have joined in this misinformation campaign - not good for newbies as they get easily misled.

Vilas.

This plattform is well the charts are like Gain Tradestation Marketscope 2.0 .....
The new spreads are well for me in YEN pairs GBP/YEN = 3 points ....:cheesy:
I open a real account now .....

Please monitor live spreads and post here on
Aud/yen
Cad yen
Nzd yen

Good trade on oil today

O D T

Also well is the transaction and withdrawal with DBFX ....
Only one day and for me in Germany no fees ....:)
London Brokers take 35 € for withdrawals .....:(

Please monitor live spreads and post here on
Aud/yen
Cad yen
Nzd yen

Good trade on oil today

O D T

Well, I guess this is as good a place to start for me as any here on this forum.

To the OP: I too have walked the same road over the years. Starting out with FXCM, I learned the hard way that not all Forex Brokers are the same - in fact, I learned that most all Forex Brokers are scam artists of the highest (or, lowest - depending on perspective) order. So, I dumped FXCM.

What did I do next? I did some homework, or so I "thought."

I looked at the landscape of Forex "intermediaries," a firm that could carry my "retail trade" to the so-called "real Interbank Market" (what a joke - I was delusional back then) and came across little outfits like Oanda, CMS, GFT, and the list is endless, literally. Completely frustrated at the total lack of clarity within the business itself (I used to trade Equity Derivatives - Options), I thought to myself; 'Self, wouldn't be a great idea of some of the larger Banks got involved in the Forex business!' Just like that, in they came. CitiFx, dbFX, just to name two. I was very happy!

So, I went to the dbFX website, read it thoroughly and then downloaded their "trading platform." Lo and behold, I was hit smack in the face with an unbelievable reality! The were using something that looked very much like the old FXCM retail platform that I knew and "loved" so well. So, I contacted dbFX directly and asked some pointed questions. I asked them if they were using a White Label version of the FXCM platform? They said to my amazement, Yes! My stomach sank. I could not believe that a reputable "Bank" like db, would climb in bed with a poor outfit like FXCM.

So, I dug a little deeper, having background in technology and all. I asked whether or not dbFX was using FXCM as an ASP. They said, Nooooo! We provide our own "liquidity and price feed." Knowing a little about how the technology works in the back-office, I said; "But, my question is whether or not they are your ASP source for delivery of services to your traders/customers?" I was told by the dbFX "Technical Support Representative" (another joke) that they did not have that "information available at this time." RED FLAG number one, went up in my mind right then.

So, I probed just a little bit deeper, ya know, knowing just a bit about how this technology works. I then said; "Ok, help me out here cause I really don't understand this 'technology' all that well. If I were to deposit fund with your Bank and began trading the market through your trading platform, when I logged into my account, would I be logging in through an FXCM Server or through a dedicated on-site dbFX Server?" I was told; "You would be logging into a dbFX Server, Sir." I said, "ok" and then went away for a while.

I began using the dbFX demo and took my initial $50,000.00 demo money up to a nice $190,000.00 in about 2 weeks. Not bad, but not all that good either. Well, today (22 January 2010), I had two Entry Order trades that I entered the night before. One net approximately $16,000 and the other net approximately $22,000.00, for a nice daily net/net of $38,000.00 to close out a very yeoman's kind of week for me.

Well, having my dbFX trading platform still open from the night before (21 January 2010), I could see both positions Closed in the Closed Window at the bottom of the application, but I saw no price action. Well, I went over to my InterbankFX data-feed and noticed that that market was running as usual at about 9:30am. By 9:50am that same morning, I tried to click on my dbFX platform and got a dialog box telling me that I was not logged on. I thought to myself; 'Self, that's odd.' So, I did what any normal human being would do, I attempted to log back into my dbFX trading platform and lo and behold I was hit with a dialog box that told me Trading Hours Must Be Over, etc.

Well, at the very top of the dialog box guess what else I saw? I saw these words: CANNOT CONNECT TO HTTP://DBFX.FXCMCORPORATE.COM.

Well, completely confused by now, I called up my chat window immediately for some answers through my "dbFX" trading platform. I was told by dbFX that they had a "Technology Licensing Agreement" with FXCM. Well, technology licensing could mean just about anything, so I asked whether that was Software only, Hardware only, or both. I was told FLAT OUT: "Software only." So, I drilled the question home by asking: "When I connect to my dbFX account in my dbFX trading platform, am I in anyway connecting through an FXCM Server?" I was told FLAT OUT: "No. You connect to dbFX."

So, the next time somebody tells you that dbFX uses different connectivity, different servers, different hardware or even different software and different buildings (physical office space), you can politely inform them otherwise. :D

Bottom line: dbFX had a wonderful opportunity to get it right and they blew it. If it were not for this Server Failure today, I would have continued to think that my actual connectivity was being handled by one of their physical servers. The truth is far from that. When you log on to your dbFX account, you do indeed log into a dbFX database containing your account. But, rest assured that your account is merely being Segmented and Partitioned on an FXCM server.

And, that is the plain truth about dbFX's relationship with FXCM. If they had not lied about using FXCM as more than merely a White Label, then that would be a horse of another color. But, they insisted that they were not using FXCM as an ASP, which I now know to be untrue. It is the closest thing to an ASP Model that I can imagine and that means that FXCM has IT control over the dbFX machine and that is definitely NOT what I want. I want nothing at all - EVER - to do with FXCM.

Huge mistake on the part of dbFX, IMO.

BTW- For those of you that don't already know it by now, get this:

The FXCM Servers went down today (1/22/10) at precisely the same time and for precisely the same duration as the dbFX Servers, both for Production (live) and for Demo accounts at both entities.

Now, that is either one heck of a coincidence, or when you fund your dbFX account, you are logging into your trading platform which sits directly on an FXCM Server. The big question is: WHY LIE dbFX? Why? You said that you were a separate entity using completely different hardware and data-feeds. Well, thanks to the massive outage at FXCM today (11/22/10) we now know that to be a total LIE. Access to dbFX accounts (either Live or Demo) MUST be authenticated against FXCM Servers. Now, that tells me that you are sharing the same Firewall AND the same inbound Gateway, at the very least.

Why on earth (folks) would a massively successful Bank like db, get involved with a Hanger 51 organization such as FXCM? This entire thing sinks. If dbFX is lying through its teeth on this, then WHO else is lying through other openings in their body here?

I need a straight-up BANK that does not have its head in the sand to do business with. I've got a dollar waiting on a dime and playing games with the likes of Saxo and DeutcheFXCMBank are not my most favorite things to do with my time or my money. I'm tic'd off because I was counting on dbFX (a so-called "real Bank") to be the 'goto' intermediary until I could start trading in Yards on the Institutional level (not very far away for me).

I'm sick and tired of all the B.S. out there folks.

Is there a REAL freak'n BANK in the House of Currencies that the public can trade through, or not? This is almost getting as bad as my old Ameritrade nightmares of years long gone when I traded equity derivatives - what a joke that was.

I need to move large scale lots for a so-called 'retail trader' and fooling around with Oanda, FXCM and the rest, is a real pain in the butt.

I need a BANK! A REAL BANK. I'm tick'd!!!

Is there a REAL freak'n BANK in the House of Currencies that the public can trade through, or not? This is almost getting as bad as my old Ameritrade nightmares of years long gone when I traded equity derivatives - what a joke that was.

I need to move large scale lots for a so-called 'retail trader' and fooling around with Oanda, FXCM and the rest, is a real pain in the butt.

I need a BANK! A REAL BANK. I'm tick'd!!!

It really is very difficult to find the true intention of posters wit one post.DBFX is currently gobbling up competitors, it is understandable why competitors would want to smear Deutsche bank.

Is anybody else really having problems , other than competitors having problems?

I find out , that the plattform is instabil and show wrong nummbers , add contracts not
and is too big and old fashion .
When I look at my positions , he don`t show me closed positions well , all numbers are
wrong .....:cheesy:
I remember 6 years ago , as I started trading with OTC options plain vanila ...
DB always give no price or no fill , when my position come in win ....
I need 3 times selling to close my positons .
So I lost huge summs of money and close my account .
Now DBFX is a copy of FXCM and I believe things will not getting better ...
Also the German Market is not so liquide as you mean ...I believe London Banks are
better paying then Frankfurts JunkSellers ...:LOL:

It really is very difficult to find the true intention of posters wit one post.DBFX is currently gobbling up competitors, it is understandable why competitors would want to smear Deutsche bank.

Is anybody else really having problems , other than competitors having problems?