Day Trade the FTSE

Ziff said:
No trades for me so far...............anyone done anything ?

Should have done...been preoccupied doing other things. Going to really get stuck in after the Dow opens.

not on FTSE, but took a bit out of the DAX, I've added to my bad Dow short (caught top about 15mins after US open on the second short :D )...still running both as I have a feeling this might :arrowd: into close

hobby said:
not on FTSE, but took a bit out of the DAX, I've added to my bad Dow short (caught top about 15mins after US open on the second short :D )...still running both as I have a feeling this might :arrowd: into close

If you looked at DAX before US open, you saw a complete trending day up till then... while many think the DOW is leading the DAX, I'm inclined to think vice-versa; as it is often the case that dow just continues the upmove... as it did today after a slight retracement back to finish +13000 on futures price. I hope you aren't short over the weekend!

firewalker99 said:
If you looked at DAX before US open, you saw a complete trending day up till then... while many think the DOW is leading the DAX, I'm inclined to think vice-versa; as it is often the case that dow just continues the upmove... as it did today after a slight retracement back to finish +13000 on futures price. I hope you aren't short over the weekend!

I agree with you....DAX is a leading indicator for the Dow (IMHO). i put the extreme strength of the DAX early on to 'catch up' (it had fallen chunkily the day before yet the dow held a gain after DAX closed). Also the DAX trend after the 16.3hrs bowled me a Googly...it fell from circa 7342 to 73420 in short order at a time when the Dow was looking as if could finally start yielding!)

re being short...yep, alas, I still am, though if truth be told I wasn't expecting that final 25 point push in the final 10 mins ito 21.00hrs!! (until then, I wasn't feeling that uneasy - I am now!)

In the light of the extremely strong close, I'd expect 13k will now go early next week *but& then a little bit of sobriety should resurface. (it just needs one hiccup it'll be violent)

FTSE & DAX

Hey Hobby,

how do you find trading the dax, in comparison to trading the FTSE. Are you spreadbetting ? and if so which company are you using ?

Good luck with that Dax short.

Dull Ftse

firewalker99 said:
I think 2 minute on FTSE is a bit slow... even for scalping... FTSE can be quite dull at times

Damn straight FTSE can be dull as hell. However, it generally doesn't whipsaw all over the place and I can take my 20 point targets, keeping my blood pressure and stress levels under control. I do enjoy trading Cable and Brent Crude Futures too.

Cast Iron Strategy

johnnyf said:
Does anybody actually have a cast iron strategy?
I have watched this forum for a few weeks and, am a bit concerned that everyone is concerned with analysis. I think it is much easier than everyone imagines.

I agree with you totally. I am not so much in to the analysis, although I do like to try and apply it. Working off a 2 minute chart scalping points the bigger picture is less relevant so to speak.

My strategy is far from cast iron but I do not generate too many false signals and acheive a Good hit rate trading. The 1 point spread helps me out though.

I guess it is all down to your approach. Ziff is successful using EMA crosses. I paper traded this method and called it wrong more than 50% of the time. So whats cast iron for one man, probably isn't going to be for the next man.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, here's to making some cash tomorrow morning.

Good Luck

I tried long rolling FT this morning at 0935 for 6470.8. Sold at 6477.8 at 1006. Used Fins. I mention this because of the stick they seem to get. The market came back very quickly, now it is 6468.8, and Fins could have messed about with the fill. However, it was very fast and no complaints.

Split

Splitlink said:
I tried long rolling FT this morning at 0935 for 6470.8. Sold at 6477.8 at 1006. Used Fins. I mention this because of the stick they seem to get. The market came back very quickly, now it is 6468.8, and Fins could have messed about with the fill. However, it was very fast and no complaints.

Split

I have a Finspreads account never used it though. I prefer Capital mainly because I get a 1 point spread on FTSE cash with them. Makes for more profit for me. Plus the margin requirements at Capital are pretty damn good too.

I never used to look at the FTSE. I used to think it was too slow. However, since the 1 point spread came in I figured I would try it. I haven't looked back.

Made a few trades today and am in profit. I managed to make 6 trades without a single loser ! Phew..

Good Luck for tomorrow guys....

ceydababy said:
I have a Finspreads account never used it though. I prefer Capital mainly because I get a 1 point spread on FTSE cash with them. Makes for more profit for me. Plus the margin requirements at Capital are pretty damn good too.

I never used to look at the FTSE. I used to think it was too slow. However, since the 1 point spread came in I figured I would try it. I haven't looked back.

Made a few trades today and am in profit. I managed to make 6 trades without a single loser ! Phew..

Good Luck for tomorrow guys....

One point is good. I live abroad, which is one reason for not changing. Can't be bothered with the aggro. As long as they don't screw me I shall stay with them. I'm sticking my toe into index trading after several months absence , when I swore I'd never touch them again :-0. Only morning trading as I work after 1330..

Good trading

Split

Desperately seeking pullback even if only intraday one off event.... ftse called at monday's lows by IG.
But we could get anything from 1-4d affair.....

Still not sure if 21/23 April timeline has worked .......yet!

Hook Shot said:
Desperately seeking pullback even if only intraday one off event.... ftse called at monday's lows by IG.
But we could get anything from 1-4d affair.....

Still not sure if 21/23 April timeline has worked .......yet!

There was your pull back !

Anyone still around?

Hi ,

I am also a new FTSE trader (wannabe). I trade using Finspreads as their 50p min suits my pockets :)

I am currently long from 6406 looking to close that massive slide down this morning from 6443.

Jay

What made you go short?

Is there an indicator you use strictly for entry and exit ie a moving average cross or something?

Stephen

I am scalping the 2min chart, with a 7 / 20 EMA with MACD confirmation.

Really basic but I generally look for 10 pips here and there.

Just moved my SL to BE so its a free trade anyways now

The above TA is something that I am experimenting with, so there are bound to be losing as well as winners, just need to see how good / bad it is.

Thanks

Last edited: