Day Trade the FTSE

Predictable sell off ......... and rallied to 77/78% retracement.
The set up although called bullish by many with new highs expected........
I'm not so sure................................ tomorrow is one month since the swift move south...remember that.
But I think 6000 should be pretty solid

Ziff said:
Is there no regularly updated thread for intraday FTSE traders ?

Welcome Ziff, I think this is as good as it gets for FTSE that im aware of im sorry to say - perhaps you could add something to get something going.

I'm not surprised LMQ - it's hard to buy ftse close to highs of the last 4 yrs.

I'm looking at Queen's Birthday/St George's Day time frame it's often significant...
Ftse topped bigtime Apr 21 last year.... and previously US has bottomed around this date..

Last edited:
Lightning McQueen said:
Welcome Ziff, I think this is as good as it gets for FTSE that im aware of im sorry to say - perhaps you could add something to get something going.

Thanks LMQ. Having had a look round I thought there would have been a similar thread to the weekly FX one for FTSE and Dax.

Maybe start one next week and see if there are any other ftse traders out there :cool:

This 13th -16th window gets some nice time hits like 21 TD from the low ect.....

It will also be the 3rd lesser (delta) high in a row....Were not in an inversion zone, so we all know what that means..;)

Same with the Dax :)

Anyone on the FTSE today ? I have not taken anything so far this morning but currently favour a short..........

Just signed up to Trade2win. Been trading for about 12 months so am not a trading guru. Trade FTSE and occasionaly take a look at the dow. It would be neat if we could revive this thread with some FTSE ideas.

mmicham said:
Just signed up to Trade2win. Been trading for about 12 months so am not a trading guru. Trade FTSE and occasionaly take a look at the dow. It would be neat if we could revive this thread with some FTSE ideas.

Sounds okay.......... :LOL:

See you here tomorrow !

Ok....My opinion on the FTSE tomorrow....Following the US Data released this afternoon the FTSE gapped almost 20 points, breaking through 6480 where I took an inital long position. Short term Support appears to be pretty strong in the 6480 area with resistance being formed in the 6500 area. I will be looking to sell under 6480 tomorrow and buy over 6500. Longer term from the hourly chart, the FTSE appears to be entering a consolidation period. A hold above 6500 will hopefully see a test of the 6521 high seen earlier this year. However I feel a break of 6450 could see further reversals back toward 6400. There is a batch of UK economic Data released at 08:30gmt tomorrow including BOE Minutes and Payroll numbers. Once that is out of the way it appears all clear until the oil number later in the afternoon. Thanks and Good Luck

I think I will sit aside until the news is out of the way at 0930.

What do you trade mmicham - the cash or the futures ?

Well - anyone made any points yet ? 1 BE trade for me so far.................

Is there anyone else out there :?:

FTSE is slow today ; think I will need to go and post some incredibly low scores at the T2W arcade if this carries on.............

Hi

I trade near month FTSE futures on LIFFE via interactive brokers.

I would seriously suggest anyone with the capital (£2,500) and time to fill in the forms heads of to Direct Access from spreadbetting if they are looking for shorter time frames.

I know it seems a little daunting at first and everything isn't as easy to understand as spread bet with comms and fees but I went from struggling to break even with Cantor to making decent money using direct access mainly through smaller spread and less 'skew' on the price.

If anyone on this thread wants more info in to how to go about doing it then please feel free to email me at [email protected] (PS I don't work for IB!) just saying I found it easier to make money intraday using direct access than spread bet.

Incedentally my style of trading is to use bollingers set around a 9 period exponential lag on the 5 min chart and look to buy dips to the lag when market is trending higher and sell rallies to the lag when the market is trending lower.

My win rate is doing well although profits might be as small as 2 points per time (£17.94) after commisions on one contract, if you can do this six or seven times a day net of losers it isn't a bad start.

I don't tend to trade longer views now but if you were to want my view the market reversed exactly at previous high yesterday and we are testing it again today (around 6450 on the cash I think?) if this holds again it's back on up, if it breaks I expect a lot of fast downside.

Stephen McCreedy

smccreedy said:
Hi

I trade near month FTSE futures on LIFFE via interactive brokers.

I would seriously suggest anyone with the capital (£2,500) and time to fill in the forms heads of to Direct Access from spreadbetting if they are looking for shorter time frames.

I know it seems a little daunting at first and everything isn't as easy to understand as spread bet with comms and fees but I went from struggling to break even with Cantor to making decent money using direct access mainly through smaller spread and less 'skew' on the price.

If anyone on this thread wants more info in to how to go about doing it then please feel free to email me at [email protected] (PS I don't work for IB!) just saying I found it easier to make money intraday using direct access than spread bet.

Incedentally my style of trading is to use bollingers set around a 9 period exponential lag on the 5 min chart and look to buy dips to the lag when market is trending higher and sell rallies to the lag when the market is trending lower.

My win rate is doing well although profits might be as small as 2 points per time (£17.94) after commisions on one contract, if you can do this six or seven times a day net of losers it isn't a bad start.

I don't tend to trade longer views now but if you were to want my view the market reversed exactly at previous high yesterday and we are testing it again today (around 6450 on the cash I think?) if this holds again it's back on up, if it breaks I expect a lot of fast downside.

Stephen McCreedy

All views welcome Steven...................

I also trade off the 5 min though with a simple MA cross - it works for me.......................currently short on the future form 6480

Which smas do you use?

I have never got on too well with crosses to be honest.

Do you hold overnight?

Who do you trade through?

Stephen

smccreedy said:
Which smas do you use?

I have never got on too well with crosses to be honest.

Do you hold overnight?

Who do you trade through?

Stephen

I meant simple as in simple for me to understand.......... :eek:

I use 7 and 20 EMA on a 5 min chart, using CMC and no, I dont hold overnight.

Fresh start each day !