Day Trade the FTSE

Tuesday

Charts indicate a significant move south today, so lets be ready for it, with my guess being that the index will get back to 5911 at least. As always, you never know, so trade what you see, not what you believe.

Hi Datav,

Was the chatroom ok today? I came in late, said "hallo" to everyone and got answers but, after that there were a few comments about trading and I seemed to be by myself. No one said a dicky bird. When I opened two long trades and closed them, still no comments and so said goodbye. After signing off, I saw, on the other page, where it gives times and comments made, that several comments were made but mine were not to be seen.

I mention this, here, because all the faithfulls, you, Ian, Zigger and Don_h were there and chatting for a few minutes after me.

So, how did you all get on? I made 13 points on two long trades in the a.m. but you must have all made a good killing in the afternoon!

Split

Splitlink said:
Hi Datav,

Was the chatroom ok today? I came in late, said "hallo" to everyone and got answers but, after that there were a few comments about trading and I seemed to be by myself. No one said a dicky bird. When I opened two long trades and closed them, still no comments and so said goodbye. After signing off, I saw, on the other page, where it gives times and comments made, that several comments were made but mine were not to be seen.

I mention this, here, because all the faithfulls, you, Ian, Zigger and Don_h were there and chatting for a few minutes after me.

So, how did you all get on? I made 13 points on two long trades in the a.m. but you must have all made a good killing in the afternoon!

Split

Split, the same thing happened to me as well, felt in limbo so logged out and came back later and things were ok. my internet was going loco I think.

ian said:
Split, the same thing happened to me as well, felt in limbo so logged out and came back later and things were ok. my internet was going loco I think.

I didn't notice that there was anything wrong until i logged off. It was work time for me by then, anyway. Don't know what your hours are but hope you all made a good profit.

Until tomorrow, Split

Splitlink said:
Hi Datav,

Split

Morning Split

I think you must have been billy no mates in there because after you entered the room you said hi to everyone, commented on missing the action, asked me if I was having a go, I think, then commented on datav's scaling out his trades, then disappeared without trace, lost in space your name was not in the list :confused:

anyway good trades another good weeks points haul is on the way for you I think. keep up the good work :D

Morning datav

Could you elaborate for us a little more on your comments in the room on your stop strategy, I quite understand if you don't wish to.
interesting stuff here and in the chatroom, well done on your trades, good calls.

cheers

don

Last edited:
wednesday

It seems that we have had a few technical problems with the room. These java applications can be a bit flaky, so I think the answer is to give it a bit more margin. I for one do not always have the window visible as Im often looking at charts etc and I need the desktop space.

We had agood day yesterday with 2 short trades catching the majority of the 2 down legs that occurred. I averaged 36 points for the day. However, I'm sick as a parrot for missingh the up leg at the end. Its intruiging to me how the psychology works. As we had 2 successful short trades, and were generally talking the market down, I was unable to see a clear reversal and long set up that occurred at 3.30pm (UK). In fact I tried to short again and lost 8 points, while the market continued to move 50 points up in an unbroken curve.

This demonstrates once again the dangers of having a fixed idea, and how, if you think something is red it will be red, no matter if everyone else sees it as blue.

Try this: Look round the room and notice everything that is red. just 10 seconds or so. Now close your eyes and try and count anything that is blue. Open your eyes and see how well you did.

Ive done this exercise several times, and it always floors me.

Stops
Don, I'll try and talk about them in the room

Charts? well lets not get hooked on any ideas :)

Hi Splitlink I had similar problems to you and down loaded mIRC software which runs alot better.

Interesting posts - I too was wondering if the chat room was not quite fully functional.

don_h said:
Morning Split

I think you must have been billy no mates in there because after you entered the room you said hi to everyone, commented on missing the action, asked me if I was having a go, I think, then commented on datav's scaling out his trades, then disappeared without trace, lost in space your name was not in the list :confused:

anyway good trades another good weeks points haul is on the way for you I think. keep up the good work :D

Morning datav

Could you elaborate for us a little more on your comments in the room on your stop strategy, I quite understand if you don't wish to.
interesting stuff here and in the chatroom, well done on your trades, good calls.

cheers

don

Today was better. 39.5 points minus one 7.2 loss, I think it was. You really must have a go with a Fins account because they do have a very good chart system. They are alI I use.

Unless you are with someone else, of course, but you did mention that you were using Yahoo so I suppose not at the moment.

Stops? I use the bottom of the low bar and, also, if the reason for going in to the trade has failed I get out. For instance, a 123 situation that does not want break out and looks dodgy, I get out. There are plenty more situations coming up.

Thanks for the support, by the way.

Split

Splitlink said:
Today was better. 39.5 points minus one 7.2 loss, I think it was. You really must have a go with a Fins account because they do have a very good chart system. They are alI I use.

Unless you are with someone else, of course, but you did mention that you were using Yahoo so I suppose not at the moment.

Stops? I use the bottom of the low bar and, also, if the reason for going in to the trade has failed I get out. For instance, a 123 situation that does not want break out and looks dodgy, I get out. There are plenty more situations coming up.

Thanks for the support, by the way.

Split

Great trading again today , excellent stuff, well done. I stayed in the room for as long as I could keep my eyes open (busy night at work :( )
I have been trialling my strategy using yahoo charts because they are the most real time I can find thats free :cheesy: regarding stops im going to use the bottom (or top) of my signal bar thanks for the pointer there.
I am really tempted to jump in and have a go so Im off to fins to have a gander.

datav
Thanks for your comments in the room on stops, certainly helped me out there, cheers :)

I hope everyone else had a good day. I cant make it for the whole trading day so would be really interested how you all did.

cheers

don

Friday

A difficult day yesterday with no clear direction after the initial gap up open. tight 20 point range all day with several false breakouts. We managed to keep on the right side of the market more or less, but for me at least it was a break even day. Lets hope we see some better trends today. This week has certainly been one of the most difficult to trade in the last few months. With the Dow closing at a new all time high, charts are indicating a good chance of a rise today.
lets hope we can catch the wave. Any questions, comments, ideas and contributions to our humble group very welcome on the T2W chat room.
Safe trading

datav said:
This week has certainly been one of the most difficult to trade in the last few months. With the Dow closing at a new all time high, charts are indicating a good chance of a rise today.
lets hope we can catch the wave. Any questions, comments, ideas and contributions to our humble group very welcome on the T2W chat room.
Safe trading

Well, that makes me feel much better because I've traded profitably (yesterday- just) except for today when I lost over 18 points in two trades. If it goes badly, I think it is best to chuck it in for the day. As far as I am concerned, it must be something that I have not got right from the start.

Havea nice weekend (and good trading this afternoon)

Split

The FTSE's moving within a small price range with no clear indication from the charts. Best sit and wait. And I wouldn't recommend scalping as there's too much toe dipping.

UK

ukhero said:
The FTSE's moving within a small price range with no clear indication from the charts. Best sit and wait. And I wouldn't recommend scalping as there's too much toe dipping.

UK

Thanks for the post. The Dow rising to new highs fooled this Footsie follower. I am up 36 points on the week so can't complain, just moaning about today!

Split

Monday

Still in an up trend, but watch out for dive. Runours od N Korea nuclear test could send markets into a tail spin.Retrqacement is on the cards. But lets not get married to the Idea!.

As always running commentary abd ideas in the T2W chat room.

There's nothing in the pipeline at the moment to jossle the market down, so yes, we're still in an uptrend. But the FTSE won't make giant leaps upwards towards the 6100 mark without US support, and as we can see, the US markets have turned from a snorting Bull to a deliberating snail. In all, a difficult period for FTSE followers to get the daily direction right prior to entry, and scalping for a profit can also be a tad thin.

Me, I seen this before, nothing leaps out this way or that. So I'm happy to sit back and watch. And some of the readers, here in the forum, may do the same, adding at the end of the day, 'I knew it would go that way!' - But its amazing what you see when you don't have yer gun!

Yours, and good trading

UK

Tuesday

Yesterday was a sharp lesson and reminder of the maxim "trade what you see, not what you expect" Despite the excellent post by UK and even my own post prior to that, I tried to short the market on the expectation of a drop. Not just once either! That put me in a hole for the rest of the day and I spent the rest of the day having to dig myself out. I was fortunate to end the day at about even. (Maybe I'll remember it now till the next time)

So no more predictions about market direction from me. Suffice it to say that we are in an uptrend and so I will be favouring long positions.

Wednesday

Another day of pain yesterday waiting for the short that never happened. Generally a very slow market with only a 30 point range and no decent set ups. Still in a strong up trend, while USmarkets and DAX are consolidating. Either for the next push up or the long expected pullback. The NKorea test while causing a big stir on the political stage did not affect the market in any noticable way. All market way into oversold territory...so be on our toes for a pullback, but take the long set ups as well if we get them

Attachments

• Daily Z.JPG
    Daily Z.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 249