Crude Crude Crude

another 1/4 covered at 133.61 so 150 pts on that 1/4

final 1/4 running and stop still at b/e - shotting for aug brent $135

Final 1/4 closed at 134.70 so 249 pts on that chunk of contracts.

Flat now ahead of the summit on Sunday so all finished for the week. Another great day and looking back a great week with big moves some serious pts.

I have been looking at Daily US Light Crude, can anyone tell me the best times to trade from and until? Looking at the charts it seems to be from 1pm GMT to late

Cable and Ftse are the best between 8am and 12pm imo so just looking for what people think best times for US Crude.

(Please no sermons I know this thing is an absolute beast!!)

Having been trading it for a while, it has life from 8-8 gmt, with some action occasionally occuring south of the Rockies and in Asian trading. Although you tend to get the big swings when the guys are on the Nymex floor in the open outcry session post 1pm as you say.

Great thanks! Helps to know when I should be at my desk watching the charts. Working on a system that looks pretty good one that I adapted from FX to FTSE as well but as I can't look back more then 2 days on my IG charts I got quite alot of chart watching to do. Thanks guys

Great thanks! Helps to know when I should be at my desk watching the charts. Working on a system that looks pretty good one that I adapted from FX to FTSE as well but as I can't look back more then 2 days on my IG charts I got quite alot of chart watching to do. Thanks guys

You can go back more than 2 days. Try opening the spearate charting package in tools - real time charts

HTH

Thanks!

In my defence I have been using Metatrader for 3 years :eek:

**edit** oh still won't let me but it's because I'm looking at 2 minute charts, still big thanks though, these are the charts you can now trade off with IG**

**edit** And I can check out some tic charts!! Very cool!!

You boys seem to be having alot of fun cashing-in on the old crude at the beginning of the post..,
using my giant stoploss style i see. ;)

Part of me really does want to ravage the **** out the oil and my account back over £800, andn then £1000, from the £500 its at now.. :(

But the 1 biggest danger using the ginat stoploss on oil is the 1s you boys are using just aint big enough for a start, and 2ndly oil isnt a range trading market normally.. :whistling

But if you can cash in enough now while it is ranging, you could always slap the old hedge on just before you think its going to rocket or collapse either way, and then just wait for the pull-back after that though to null the losing position, while having cashed-in the winning one.. :cheesy:

You boys seem to be having alot of fun cashing-in on the old crude at the beginning of the post..,
using my giant stoploss style i see. ;)

Part of me really does want to ravage the **** out the oil and my account back over £800, andn then £1000, from the £500 its at now.. :(

But the 1 biggest danger using the ginat stoploss on oil is the 1s you boys are using just aint big enough for a start, and 2ndly oil isnt a range trading market normally.. :whistling

But if you can cash in enough now while it is ranging, you could always slap the old hedge on just before you think its going to rocket or collapse either way, and then just wait for the pull-back after that though to null the losing position, while having cashed-in the winning one.. :cheesy:

Morning Spanish. On Friday 6th June, you sold while everyman and his barrel of oil was long or closing out sell postions. Say no more.

Also you can't ravage oil or any market with £500 in the pot. Rabbit in headlights.

Last edited:
Morning Guy and Girls,

Well i thought i would say hi , i am new to all this until last week when i started to take an interest in brent oil.

last week i made a bit of a killing in my standards so i have to say i am hookied now, i have been read all sorts of blogs and different forums trying to get as much info in what other people think the market is gonna be doing, so to tha end i have put a spread on to sell today at 136.38 so we will have to see how it goes.

If any one thinks i have made a total novice error please tell me where i am going wrong like as i said i do need a little guidance and it would be appreciated by the more experinced trader

cheers Andy

Love your losses and hate you gains

what was your reasoning for selling given what OPEC are saying today/yesterday?

I'm looking for it to drop to 134.00 but set my stop at a generous 140.50, but i put this down to being new to all this and not having the balls to keep my stop loss tighter

i was reading on the bloomberg website that alot of oil companies were buying up shares in their own companeis in hope that it drops to maximise their profits,

Gooseman, do you think i jumped the gun a little early, like i said i appreciate all comments to help me stop making silly mistakes in the future, also do you know any good sites that has uptodate info on all current oil situations

Andy

i think shorting oil at the moment is an accident waiting to happen. there is this will they/won't they coming out of saudi on terms of them upping production. everything seems on edge and any rally through the current high will more than likely set off stops and carry it higher. use bloomberg, bbc, everything you can to try and keep up with information.

do you know the primary drivers fo oil?

for SB'ers I can't help thinking that trying to punt oil is like picking up pennies off a railway track.

Like i say i am new to all of this and have taken on board what you have said. in regards to do i know who the primary drivers for oil are, the answer in no, each day i am finding out more and more .

Andy,

I think it is very tough to call at present. It would seem that the market has reacted to the Jeddah summit with a degree of 'so what'.

``At the end of the day, the Saudis pretty much told us there was not much they could do immediately,'' Peter Beutel, president of New Canaan, Connecticut-based Cameron Hanover Inc., said in a Bloomberg Television interview. ``We already had a 200,000 barrel-a-day increase built into the market.''

This coupled with supply issues in Nigeria from Chevron and Shell offshore are putting pressure on the market. There is now a ceasefire in place in Nigeria, although this is often shakey to say the least.

I would be very tight with my stops if you are short at the moment, as a stop that loose could see you out of the money for a prolonged period.

that was my thought after what Gooseman replied, well my spread is on i am gonna let it run today, maybe it might teach me a valuable lesson ( the hard way )

Are you trading today? if so may i ask what you are looking for?

Andy

Last edited: