Crude Crude Crude

OK so as suggested I closed 75% of position at about 70 points and moved stop to BE. Quite pleased with that for today. Might pay for my trip to bulgaria in couple of weeks. Trying to decide if I need my laptop and internet access when I get there.

1/2 closed at 133.68, 1/4 closed at 134.10 and final 1/4 still running and stop now at break even.

OK so as suggested I closed 75% of position at about 70 points and moved stop to BE. Quite pleased with that for today. Might pay for my trip to bulgaria in couple of weeks. Trying to decide if I need my laptop and internet access when I get there.

Me? I'd take the laptop and I'd also leave that final chunk running for another 100pts or so.

but thats me and my trading style

I'm pretty green [new] at this so dont be shy with the advice. I'm a bit confused by the prices today as I've used a different site for my bets because it has tighter spreads and quicker execution. However the charts I look at are for US light crude and the one I'm betting on is called NYMEX light crude. They appear to move the same but the prices are different.

Check the month your betting on. You could be betting on the front month ( July ) and using charts that show light crude August delivery = different price but the same movement

I have been trading oil for a while now and find it a fairly interesting trade. Huge vol at the moment, but is tough to pick it day to day. I work for an Inv Bank, so pretty plugged into the data, however, find the whole geo-policitcal events side quite difficult to manage. You can think you have a good view of the market, i.e. overbought, tankers sitting full of oil in the gulf, G8 pressure, Saudi's red faced at amount of cash coming in the door etc...everything macro screams going short, then boom, a site gets knocked out in Nigeria and you are stopped out in a heart beat. I think oil is a great trade, however, you need to get your head around the fact you will be stopped out on a relatively regular basis. My view is that we are headed south, however, nobody can rule out a super spike to 150+.

TD

If you have any technical reasons to be short [or not long] on oil can you share them please. I'm a newbie so any help I would appreciate.

They say an image is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• crude.gif
    crude.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 249
what do you lot reckon to this chinese fuel price hike?

although there have been whispers about the price hike, I guess most people will be surprised by the timing. Can't see it dampening China's appetite for energy though.

completely unsurprising i think.....attempt to drive oil prices down. talk that it will reduce chinese demand by 33%

agree but another way of looking at it is in the short term atleast chinese refiners import more oil to bolster sales = oil price goes up

yeah but theere is a problem in that china don't have a great infrastructure and we already know there is a bottleneck in refining. for me this is bearish news.