Confessions of a local

who are these "locals" a local to me is a pit trader, not someone on the futex trading floor..

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thank you for all the positive comments I got on this thread.

Most of the PMs I get nowadays relate to either MMT or requests to carry on this thread which surprises me as I never thought it would be as popular as it seemed to be.

I wanted to carry on writing but usually its other stuff beyond trading that makes me do so. I started a blog for those of you that would like to stop by from time to time and catch up on things. I'm hosting it off site because I'm not sure how much of it will be trading related and T2W doesn't seem like the appropriate place. Mostly it will probably be ramblings on life, personal ambitions and happiness but of course there will be some mention of trading ;)

If you are interested in a link, drop me a PM and I will send it.

I'm not sure how often I will update it. I write as and when I feel. But I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks again for your interest.

Tom

Lessons at the oddest times

Sunday, 13th December, 2009: approx 22:00

My brother in law is the family hero.

He came over to the UK with almost no money in his pocket, speaking barely a word of English with no qualifications to speak of.

A few years on he speaks and writes English fluently, has worked his way up to the higher echelons of one of the biggest IT companies in the world, has married my sister, has bought a house and earns a six figure income.

Meanwhile, I've lost my girlfriend, live in rented accomodation and still "gamble" for a living. My outgoings are so excessive that if my income ever stalls, I'm going to be underwater quickly. Or that's how the comparison goes in my families eyes. I want to be be sensible. I want to be responsible. I should have probably thought twice before buying a new sports car when pretty much the only driving I do is the single mile each day to Costa Coffee.

I am round at my sisters house. We have had Christmas dinner. It is Sunday night and we are sitting around watching the X-Factor final. I've got one eye on the markets waiting for the open.

"Over ten million people have voted..." Dermot tells us.

"Ten million!", my sister gasps.

"That's five million pounds for ITV", my brother in law says.

"And this years winner is...." Dermot continues. And then begins the interminable silence.

Thoughts are running through my head. How did he get five million? Does he actually know that ITV receive fifty pence from each call or is this an estimate? Why did Cheryl make the mistake of choosing red eye shadow? Will the Dollar gap?

Both contestants look sick.

"That tension can't be good for you", I say, with one eye on the television and one eye on the Dollar/Yen. IG are calling a gap down.

Joe McElderry has won. He looks shocked. My sister is crying. She is actually crying.

I'm contemplating whether to take the Dollar long.

"Cheryl really has a thing for Joe" my sister is saying between sobs.

While I am secretly willing her to f*cking pull herself together I am wondering whether Joe and Cheryl are having sex. I don't think they are.

McElderry is making his winning speech. He is thanking everyone. Predictable.

"If I won that, I would tell Cheryl I love her. I would ask her out infront of a live audience of millions", I say.

"And that's why you wouldn't win", my brother in law immediately replies. "You're not focused".

I am still thinking about this for a long while after.

Last edited:
Re: Lessons at the oddest times

Sunday, 13th December, 2009: approx 22:00
Meanwhile, I've lost my girlfriend, live in rented accomodation and still "gamble" for a living. My outgoings are so excessive that if my income ever stalls, I'm going to be underwater quickly.

Hardest thing for a starting out trader is living expenses prevent the trading account from compounding.

You need to leverage the power of other peoples money.

I hope there were no donuts involved.

Two! is that all you can manage! :)

lol!

The coffee tastes better in Starbucks but the atmosphere sucks. Nero is another option. Always seems to be too many little kids though and you can't hear yourself think.

Round here it's all coffee shops and yummy mummies :)

I was serious about the car.....if there's space, sleep in it. Alternatively, sell it - it's an asset and with petrol prices going up and "global warming" you can make an ethical decision to cash in and score some more gambling money.

I was serious about the car.....if there's space, sleep in it. Alternatively, sell it - it's an asset and with petrol prices going up and "global warming" you can make an ethical decision to cash in and score some more gambling money.

I saw it last week outside Costa's.

Attachments

• 3wloo.jpg
    3wloo.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 158