Computer Madness

I like the theory actually - when option writers or anyone else get caught out by their "clever" models I can't help but feel some extreme schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude is a feeling, which is based on negative emotions ;)

A trader should not feel that :clap:

BTW

IF, then I could understand you in the case, the seller would have met an HUGE ICEBERG at 114,01 :D just leeting him eat his bull**** :LOL::LOL::LOL:

If one does not want one's orders executed, one need only not place marketable orders!

jj

Actually, that was a morally neutral statement. It is a simple fact that marketable orders can be executed.

jj

Hi DaxDestroyer,
When that spike occurred, I wasn't holding a position so perhaps my views will be tinted by that experience (or lack thereof).
However, I tend to agree that if it is out there, it is fair game. It is upto the exchange of course, to prevent the minnows from becoming fodder. If things continue the way they do, people just might abandon or atleast reduce their stakes in the Eurex (a la the Chicago meat pits albeit for different reasons).

Regards,
Kobeyashi

can you explain to me what was unfair about the order. just because some locals may have been hit by it doesn't make it unfair. you place your order-you know the risk. i think there is always a sense of injustice from certain areas in the market when they get hit with a large order. it has happened to me and i got smashed-thankfully i survived it......that's how trading is.

And in fact if this institution lost a lot doing all this selling, locals will be net winners on the bund.

Hi DaxDestroyer,
When that spike occurred, I wasn't holding a position so perhaps my views will be tinted by that experience (or lack thereof).
However, I tend to agree that if it is out there, it is fair game. It is upto the exchange of course, to prevent the minnows from becoming fodder. If things continue the way they do, people just might abandon or atleast reduce their stakes in the Eurex (a la the Chicago meat pits albeit for different reasons).

Regards,
Kobeyashi

Not everything, what is possible or does not draw litigation is fair :)

And as you say, it destroys the market.

The biggest problem as we know is the lack of trust and confidence. Look at the creditcrunch :) THIS IS PART OF IT! Rome fell :) The Americans and the English ;) are about to experience the same. Better: The Americans, as the English only ride on their backs :cheesy:

I hope, you don't disagree :innocent:

can you explain to me what was unfair about the order. just because some locals may have been hit by it doesn't make it unfair. you place your order-you know the risk. i think there is always a sense of injustice from certain areas in the market when they get hit with a large order. it has happened to me and i got smashed-thankfully i survived it......that's how trading is.

If you find it fair, then I can't explain it as your values are different to mine :cool:

Some years ago, this would have been impossible as trading happened on the floor :D

If you find it fair, then I can't explain it as your values are different to mine :cool:

Some years ago, this would have been impossible as trading happened on the floor :D

simple question dax-what is unfair. someone submitted a massive sell order and hit every bid until order was filled.

I know of one guy who made over 1m eur.

The biggest problem as we know is the lack of trust and confidence. Look at the creditcrunch :) THIS IS PART OF IT! Rome fell :) The Americans and the English ;) are about to experience the same. Better: The Americans, as the English only ride on their backs :cheesy:

What makes you think that the recession when it comes (not necessarily quite yet ... even dead cats bounce) will only affect the US and England? Germany, Italy, France, China, India, SE Asia, & Australia will all suffer severely if the US goes into major recession. That's one of the advantages of globalisation.

simple question dax-what is unfair. someone submitted a massive sell order and hit every bid until order was filled.

I know of one guy who made over 1m eur.

You are right :) Exactly THIS is the question :D

IMHO he MANIPULATED the price :) not more, not less

Good for your friend! My respect!

What makes you think that the recession when it comes (not necessarily quite yet ... even dead cats bounce) will only affect the US and England? Germany, Italy, France, China, India, SE Asia, & Australia will all suffer severely if the US goes into major recession. That's one of the advantages of globalisation.

:) I was talking about moral values and the lack of it ;)

And the leadership on the planet, which is shifting :)

Hello DaxDestroyer,
I agree that not everything that is legal, is fair. Just like every legal move, may not necessarily be ethical.
When it reaches boiling point, the powers that be will do something about it. I think these issues go around in cycles, and no matter which nation or exchange, there will always be a set of individuals who will try and exploit the system. It is human nature to do so. And if what they do (manipulation) is within the rules of the game, then so be it. We will just have to adapt.

Kobeyashi :)

Hello DaxDestroyer,
I agree that not everything that is legal, is fair. Just like every legal move, may not necessarily be ethical.
When it reaches boiling point, the powers that be will do something about it. I think these issues go around in cycles, and no matter which nation or exchange, there will always be a set of individuals who will try and exploit the system. It is human nature to do so. And if what they do (manipulation) is within the rules of the game, then so be it. We will just have to adapt.

Kobeyashi :)

Maybe I think different because I have kids :)

And maybe why I saw too much sick stuff in my life :(

But plenty of things used to go on when the floor was open that would also be described as questionable at best.

GJ

Certainly yes, but I worked many years on the floor and there was always a way for fair solutions. You could decide, with whom you traded. They knew you for years and many trades were done because they had faith and vice versa.

This changed dramatically as they started electronic trading.

But anyway :)

I feel better being fair and honest. And unfortunately this is a minority point of view.