Best Thread COFFEE - The next big bull?

direct order routing to a coffee broker

the platforms that oatman provided a link to are not direct access platforms. in order to get your order routed directly to a floor broker you have to use one of the NYBOT's hand held systems such as their EOR system. Let me know if you would like additional info.

Cheers.

Coffee
KCN05 [30] Coffee Jul '05 11:51:58 99.00
KCU05 [30] Coffee Sep '05 12:30:00 100.10

down to 100 (almost) - damn - wish I had stuck on that short now :)

mmm...Dave you have gone a bit quiet here - any insight, looks like a technical downturn i.e. cant see any fundamental news through the newswire to explain this sharp drop.

Technical vs. fundamentals

I was certainly impressed with some of Dave's analysis....however, I am always wary of "fundamentals"....there is far too much deliberate "misinformation" for my liking, which is why I stick to technicals....

but there is another debate....technicals vs. fundamentals

I agree sticking to Technicals. How accurate can it be counting coffee bags in the mountains?

Pippppin said:
I was certainly impressed with some of Dave's analysis....however, I am always wary of "fundamentals"....there is far too much deliberate "misinformation" for my liking, which is why I stick to technicals....

but there is another debate....technicals vs. fundamentals

surley if there was ever an asset class that would favour fundamental analysis it would be commodities? however I guess its an issue with time-frame as well - i.e. over the next 5 years (assume constant growth in supply) the price will be significantly higher (if figures of world demand growth are anything to go by..)

Hi guys -

Yep, the NY Coffee market has now retraced MORE than 50% of it's 2004/5 rally.

I have put on a few swing trades since the March top, but small positions, nothing major. Did very well out of the rally from December- March, though. :cool:

This retracement is reminiscent of several markets in the last few years, which peaked EARLIER than most fundamentalists would have thought. - Cocoa and Wheat in 2002, for instance.

Although the top comes to pass long before many traders are prepared to believe it, what we have seen is simply the natural laws of the market - futures ANTICIPATING S/D tightness (small crop,big demand) and then going on to ANTICIPATE easing of S/D tightness (crop harvest, low demand seasonal)

In the absence of any weather scares, the dominant bearish seasonal has taken over, and funds are selling. I will look for a seasonal low from now thru August.

Fundamenttally, the balance sheet still points to increasing tighness going forward.

Technically, we need to see a reversal on the weekly/monthly charts, or a good base formation.

Often , it stikes me that the 'easy' money is made in the first breakout of a multi-year base such as we have had in Coffee. From now on it could be choppier.

IMHO.

The market will head higher, now. (click heels)

There. That should do it. :)

Attachments

• kchigher.GIF
    kchigher.GIF
    34.7 KB · Views: 213
LOOKIN' GOOD!!
I expect the market to move up at least to that resistance line I drew on the weekly chart. Once that resistance line is broken, hold on to your hats. If you like looking for chart symetry, look at the monthly...

(edit): There's a downtrending resistance line on the daily chart that I don't have on this thumbnail. It has to be cleared first, of course. On tomorrow's bar chart, it sets resistance somewhere around 107.50 or 108.00.

Attachments

• KCdawkmo.GIF.jpg
    KCdawkmo.GIF.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I'm in :cheesy:

Long 25 Z5 Nybot contracts @ 101,3

Seasonal pattern is my drive

Nikk

You still in Nikk? - If so, that must be quite a drawdown you have (on 25 contracts?) :-0

Seriously, I do see Coffee bottoming soon - Yes, seasonals, fundamentals, etc are good. Roaster buying should kick in during September, and the new crop flowering season begins by October - weather concerns etc.

As I am a TA man, I always look first at the Monthly Chart - preferably the CONTINUOUS LOG charts.

See the DECEMBER MONTHLY LOG CHART below:

1) The Long-term trendline is approching (around 9000-9100)

2) An Important support line is approaching (also 9000-9100)

3) The 50% retracement of the 2001-2005 rally = 9425 - (ie 4150 low to 14700 high)

Monday Sept 5th is Lobor Day holiday in US. Markets often make a significant turn just before or just after a public holiday.

Perparing for initial LONG entry on evidence of successful test of support.

Attachments

• dec monthly KC log.gif
    dec monthly KC log.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 186
Yes I'm out, stopped at 96 :(

A huge loss, probably I jumped in too early...but I learned a big lesson "Is danger to be contrarian in a strong mkt like coffee, and try to pick up bottoms".

I'm still short soybean from 730, target at 550......at least to offset this loss

I think you are right sayng that after the holiday the pit mood can change (new month, new cycle), but be in a long position (close to stop area) whit a gap danger behind the corner..... could kill my account.

Now I'm thinking to include options (as an hedge) in a synthetic position, do you use them?

Sorry for my poor english, Nikk

There are coffee warehouses in New Orleans. I'm wondering what affect the hurricane news will have on the market Monday morning.

Katrina blows up storm in a coffee cup for US

Consumer goods

August 31, 2005

Katrina blows up storm in a coffee cup for US
By Daniel Murdoch

FLOODING from Hurricane Katrina has placed about 8 per cent of the world’s coffee supply, which is stored in warehouses in New Orleans, under threat.
Coffee experts gave warning last night that severe and rising floodwaters threatened to destroy the city’s stock of coffee and hit supplies.

Néstor Asorio, executive director of the International Coffee Organisation, estimated that the loss of the 96,000 tonnes of coffee stored in New Orleans would take a year to replace and would raise the price of coffee.

The New York Board of Trade said yesterday that “no further delivery notices may be issued for coffee to be delivered in the Port of New Orleans until the condition of the warehouses and the coffee located there can be determined”.

New Orleans stores both Arabica and Robusta green coffee valued at between $100 million (£56 million) and $160 million. This represents 27 per cent of American stocks and 8 per cent of total global supply. The United States is the world’s largest consumer of coffee.

However, the impact of the loss of the stock is likely to be small beans when it comes to the price of a lattè or espresso sold in cafés on the high street. Retailers such as Starbucks and Caffè Nero say that they spend more on labour, rent and milk than on coffee.

Gerry Ford, chairman of Caffè Nero, said yesterday: “We mostly get our supplies directly from Latin America and Central America. We buy in advance and we have stocks in hand so the implications of this are minuscule.”

Katrina threatens cost of cup of java
New Orleans, a major port of entry for coffee, is assessing damage to warehoused stockpiles

Katrina threatens cost of cup of java
New Orleans, a major port of entry for coffee, is assessing damage to warehoused stockpiles.

Related articles
• Fuel shortages, refinery damage could hit wallets
• Katrina whips up gas supply woes

Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:
• Asian Tsunami Disaster
• Drink
• Coffee