CMC - are they for real?

I forgot to mention, it's much safer to straddle the S&P for NFP. Let's see what happens...

Occasionally when straddling you can get shafted from the back... -32 S&P, +9 cable.

cmc

You phone sales to ask the spread on an instrument.

They ask you if you're a client. If so, can i have your name & account number.
I refuse to give them this info as i don't see it as relevant because my question is purely sales related, so lets pretend i am not an existing client, but just a new potential customer enquiring about a product.
After being transfered to 2 other desks, with all 3 desks asking me the same questions, the last person says just as i have a right to not give them such info, they have a right to ask for & demand that info, and because i've already said i have an account, he isn't willing to tell me the spread - A PURELY SALES RELATED ISSUE, which i had phoned sales to find the answer to.
Next thing, the guy hangs up.

How they can expect to keep one single customer, i don't know :rolleyes: .

I asked them how they calculate their pivot res and supports but they just cut me off cos they are all thick and they know they have problems with their updated crap platform which was far far better before.

I've alway had problems with them, here is my story ...

in a nut shell, the customer help are absolutely useless, they havent a clue about how the trading software works. It takes over 5 min for them to reply!!

Thants just the support!, HOW MANY TIMES DOES MY PRICE GET REQUOTED!!

I've lost ALOT of money because of 2 things

1. Kept requoting me
2. the system is slow, I waited over 5min for an action to work, in that time I lost alot of money, made a complaint to the head people there, they said the same old cr**, were having problems with our system. I mean how many time are you going to use that STUPID excuse? You've spent over million pounds developing a system, and you get problems EVERY day!

I'm now thinking of going to IG Index, do they requote like cmc ?

surely no other SB company can be worse then this horse ...p of a company

Try GFT

I've alway had problems with them, here is my story ...

in a nut shell, the customer help are absolutely useless, they havent a clue about how the trading software works. It takes over 5 min for them to reply!!

Thants just the support!, HOW MANY TIMES DOES MY PRICE GET REQUOTED!!

I've lost ALOT of money because of 2 things

1. Kept requoting me
2. the system is slow, I waited over 5min for an action to work, in that time I lost alot of money, made a complaint to the head people there, they said the same old cr**, were having problems with our system. I mean how many time are you going to use that STUPID excuse? You've spent over million pounds developing a system, and you get problems EVERY day!

I'm now thinking of going to IG Index, do they requote like cmc ?

surely no other SB company can be worse then this horse ...p of a company

Try GFT, i have just opened an account, very helpful and only 1 point spread on ftse and dax, trailing stop, free sms price alert.....

Have you seen there ad here on T2w?

The guy looks like he's been drinking Whisky all night, then started his morning with 3 Bong hits, lol.

wow 100 points!!

What is IG Index like, are they the same, i.e. they keep requoting you. Bascially i want to stop using cmc, but my problem is, I think most SB companies will requote.

no not 100, several 100 :)

only briefly used ig index, didnt like them the web based platform was for ever conveniently locking up if you get my drift..

Hi there,

I am just having a nightmare experience with CMC at the moment and they after replying to my first e-mail, just ignoring me...

I have an account with them for a while now. Made some trades bbefore, got used to their platform, which i found much better then the web based ones.

On wednesday morning i decided to go short on FTSE100 if goes below previous day close. I placed a Sell Stop order £1/p at 4245 in the morning. It got filled but for some reason it opened a £2/p position. It went in my direction and moved my stop just below my entry at 4244 £2/p to cover the extra £1 opened strangely by the system.

The stop has been hit and my balance showed £2 profit as the stop was one point below my entry.
Then in the afternoon seeing the market going in my direction, i opened an other short at 4223 with a stop at 4243. It started to move in favour and moved the stop to 4235, then 4223 to at worst break even. the market retraced to 4223 hitting my stop and wnet down again. I didn't have time to join in again so i just checked my account and quit for the afternoon.

When i logged in yesterday evening, i seen that my account (only £200) has went down to £94 and CMC closed an open long trade to liquidate at minimum account size.

It was a bit of a shock to see that. I wrote an e-mail to their helpdesk an got an answer that i only had a £1/p short and when i closed it with a £2/p order, it left me with a £1/p long, so when i opened my second short at 4223, i just closed my exiting long. Then the stop i moved to 4223 got triggered as a long....

They haven't replied back to my second and third e-mail yet.

surely they can see what has really happened can't they?

Thanks,

HW07

Last edited:
finally i got response from CMC helpdesk.

They were most helpful and investigated the issue i described in my previous post.

here is the answer to my query:

"I have now had a chance to look further into your trade query on the UK100 Cash. It appears that your account has been subject to a bug in the system. The cause of this is the cancellation of your If-Done order, which then reverses in your Position Keeping, but not in reality. This is a bug that we are trying to resolve, but at present we have no fix for it. It happens very rarely, and only happens if you are cancelling an If-Done order, and even then, only very occasionally. If you do cancel an If-Done order in the future, then please check your Executed Trades blotter, to double check that your Position Keeping window is showing correctly, or alternatively call the Helpdesk on the number given below and we can check this for you. "

They are refunding my account back to how it was.

Well done CMC.

HW07

Nice one :)

Wish they were that helpful with me.

Quick question to all guys having problems with cmc (arrgh)

When I get requoted EVERYtime, is this because I dont have a limit set? i.e. I I said for instance buy a market order, then create a new order and say if google went up $2, take the profit. What Im trying to say is, if I do this BEFORE I trade, will it mean, I ** defitnatly ** will get stopped out?

- dont know if this make any sense?

Thanks

Nice one :)

Wish they were that helpful with me.

Quick question to all guys having problems with cmc (arrgh)

When I get requoted EVERYtime, is this because I dont have a limit set? i.e. I I said for instance buy a market order, then create a new order and say if google went up $2, take the profit. What Im trying to say is, if I do this BEFORE I trade, will it mean, I ** defitnatly ** will get stopped out?

- dont know if this make any sense?

Thanks

I withdrew all my funds from CMC the other day (£7K) becuase they were constantly requoting me whilst trading on the UK100 market. Sometimes my orders were taking up to 2 minutes to be requoted, effectively making the system unusable for me.

I now have a futuresbetting.com account. The platform is stable (if not a little quirky in places), order execution is lightning fast, there are no requotes, and they automatically hedge any bets directly against the futures market. Effectively it's like dealing real futures, tax free. I can not recommend them highly enough. The only issue compared to standard spread companies is that they deal with minimum 1 lot sizes, so £10 per point on the FTSE futures. In these volatile markets that can prove very costly.

Thanks Fortune500, I'm going to open an account with them, cant wait to get rid of cmc!! the cr**** software is taking up too much of my harddrive!!

Thanks Fortune500, I'm going to open an account with them, cant wait to get rid of cmc!! the cr**** software is taking up too much of my harddrive!!

How much space does it take up?

Are you talking about their web based or Java based program?

Atilla

I'm just being an idiot ;-) i hate them sooo much, the software is not worth any MB on my machine

Nothing is more amusing than order fillers at SB companies, especially CMC. They take themeselves way too seriously.

I am on the scout for a permanent spreadbetting company to stick with. At the moment i'm trying out IGIndex and they appear ok. Well, i opened an account with CMC yesterday, and they have phoned me asking me to put funds in the account. I said i will once i have had a chance to properly look at their platform. They didn't really take that for an answer, and i was forced to fully explain myself and why i should not immediately put funds into the account.

I know they are just trying to do business, but really- heavy handed tactics don't cut it with me. I have since had a chance to look at the platform, and it does look OK. Unsure about putting money in the account still though, going to do a bit of research first.

They're fine. Compared to a year ago I rarely seem to get requotes and are quick at filling orders. Much better that cantor, spreadex, cap spreads. Can't comment on IG. Good luck.

I trade with CMC Spreadbet.

They are not as bad as some people will have you believe, however they do have some serious problems you need to be aware of, not limited to the following:

1. The software can be SLOW, it is java based and if you have more than a couple of windows open it really strains unless you have a very fast pc.

2. Order fulfilment can be problematic! Get used to dealing with the re-quote ticket. Pending orders can occasionally take forever to fill (allthough most of the time you get the price you asked for, this can cause problems on very short trades because you have no clue as to whether you are in the market or not and therefore don't know whether it is safe to set a stop to exit!). Stop orders have to be set quite a distance from the market price.

3. The new updated charts seem to be worse than the old ones (e.g. how do you apply more than one EMA??!!, how come when I switch between 1min and 1hour charts and then back again later there are lots of 1 min candlesticks missing??, why do the minute charts sometimes show a different hourly high than the hourly charts for the same period??)

4. The helpdesk are less knowledgable about trading than my grandmother. (If anybody needs the address for London Zoo its Customer Services, CMC, 66 Prescot Street, London, E1 8HG)

5. The prices quoted are only 'indicative' of the price they might wish to give you.

6. I have been told by CMC that the charts are provided by a third party and as such cannot be relied upon and again are only 'indicative' of the price CMC chose to honour clients at the time.

7. MarketMaker:Web is prone to going down.

Having said this I trade with them and make money. I get more enjoyment from beating their system than I do from making the actual profit. I just don't get it why they could be so good, but choose to throw it away due to a terrible infrastructure and a few monkeys in customer services.

I should also mention that I have used their telephone dealing desk and the person I spoke to was very fast, pleasant and polite.

Do I think they stop hunt etc? No, not on purpose, but with their system it can sure feel like it at times.

Does anybody disagree?

R.O.B