Cash for clunkers

theseeker123

I heardn that car sales have rose so this is good for car companies...etc
But does anyone agree with me this is bad for the economy because we are destroying working cars and making new ones.

Cash for clunkers is just more smoke and mirrors.

Imagine some ****** with an old banger, who will deffo need credit, gets 2k off a new car...well wowee....anyone can negotiate a 2k discount regardless of the clunker....so what is it all about ?

Bloody govt keeping everyone completely up to the eye balls in debt and beyond...more fool those that fall for it.

The thing is that most economies are based on the manufacture of cars. Cars are the be-all and end all of most industrialised economies. Take away the desire of the human being for wanting one and those economies are up the creek without a paddle.

Look at leading world economies. What does Germany do, apart from VW, BMW?
France? Spain? Unless these industries stay afloat the countries concerned are faced with millions of unemployed.

I have a clunker, 22 years old. It's beginning to get a bit expensive, now, on repairs and I am turning it in, before the next test. If my mileage requirements increase, I may buy a 2nd hand one but, otherwise, public transport and Avis.

I agree with you. But in the end, taxpayers ( us) are paying for this scheme.

It's a scheme to help the economy, Don't you agree? Any impression we have that anything done to keep people employed is paid for by capitalism is erroneous. Before the crisis Honda and other foreign car makers threatened their withdrawal from a country if the governments did not subsidise their factories.

In Spain that is very common, especially with SEAT. Volkswagon,only stayed in Spain by buying SEAT, which has always been threatend by factory closures if the company did not receive state help.

Because of cheap labour, these companies went to Eastern Europe and China. US immigration policy has always been based on this. It is the Mexicans who are, now, getting all the work and annoying American unions.

About 8 years ago Ford's (at least the the one's in Essex) were doing £1000 min part exchange anyway, what's the difference now other than headlines?

A bit of lateral thinking....if all this £2k part ex stuff is all over the press do the car companies need to spend as much on advertising when they're getting it for free from the Government???

About 8 years ago Ford's (at least the the one's in Essex) were doing £1000 min part exchange anyway, what's the difference now other than headlines?

A bit of lateral thinking....if all this £2k part ex stuff is all over the press do the car companies need to spend as much on advertising when they're getting it for free from the Government???

I think half of the £2K comes from the car co. the other half from the govt. so dead right - there's no difference as far as the car company goes. And some free press too!