Best Thread Capital Spreads

if anyone can get a good deal off us then they are welcome to give it a go.

Is that official company policy?

Because I find that if you make more than around £100 from an "incorrect" price, the SB company I have been dealing with will just reverse all your trades and debit the money automatically from your account.

Does Capital Spreads honour any mistakes it may make even if the client makes a lot of money trading them?

Ibex..

Any update, Simon, on how you're getting on with an Ibex offering within your trading platform ?

Nick

Capital Spreads

If I place an automatic order and the price spikes to my order level for a split second do you honour the order?

Regards

bracke

trader dante

no that is not quite what i meant

if a client trades on incorrect prices and we spot it ..as per our terms and conditions we will reject the trades.... but if we dont see it (and given that we take about 15k trades a day there is a good chance that we wont) then that is our tough luck.

bracke

if the spike is a true spike then all orders (stops, limits and new) will be filled . If the spike is incorrect then, any filled orders will be subsequently cancelled and reinstated as orders again.

nruger

sorry will have to ask the dealers when i get back from hols.

simon

ps given the price action over the 09.30 number 2.0070 looks like an outstanding fill (i will have to ask my desk how they managed it!!)

Capital Spreads

How would I know if the spike is a true one, other than being told so by yourselves?

Regards

bracke

bracke

we must be able to reference our quotes to activity in the underlying markets... in markets such as the indices and commodities these will be referenced to the futures exchanges.. with equities versus excganges such as the LSE and the NYSE

for FX it is slightly more difficult because there is no individual exchange but a spike would be an obvious move that was not visable on any of blomberg/fx signal/currenex etc etc ( we are not talking about the odd tick here or there , we are talking about obviously incorrect prices)

simon

chart and price discrepancy

Hi Simon et al,

When trading a fast moving Dow the price displayed on the chart is not the same as the price displayed on the execution window .. which in turn is different to the price displayed next to the instrument on the stake entry page. Is this a technical difficulty that can be solved? It would make things a bit easier.

Talking of technical issues has there been any progress toward allowing the user to set a user defined default stop size? (for each instrument). I would find this invaluable.

cheers,
Shortorlong

My GBP/USD buy order during GBP Retail sales today was held by CS for 7 minutes before I got a trade confirmation and then again I was slipped 12 pips. It was only when they were sure that the market was moving against me that they let the trade appear in my open positions. Quite poor, I think.

Simon,

Having been with capitalspreads for over two years i have noticed a Marked improvement in every aspect of your platform.
my one gripe would be on speed of execution especially on the FX,i do not trade the news just the technicals but i have to say it is annoying to not know whether you are in the trade or not,although i agree if you are confident in your trade is does not matter.

Over the last few trading days many Fx brokers have had enormous spreads and freezing platforms and throughout all of this although your spreads have widened slightly the platform has been steadfast.....

Can i ask will you publically agree that you do not trade against positions and that if you fairly make the trade or scalp in the correct direction and profit on a regular basis ,the account will not be penalised in any way.

gawster

i am happy to state that if you are a profitable client then we do not penalise you at all. If we feel that you are attempting to 'scalp' on a regular basis then we may put you to dealer confirm.

Thank you for mentioning that (in general) we have held our FX spreads quite firm, a small adjustment was made on Friday due to the ridiculous market conditions. My dealers were very annoyed by the fact that even the quoting banks appeared to have gone 'absent from the front line' on most of the trading platforms and we were dealing with situations where the quote on even majors was widening to 8, 10 even 15 pips wide whilst we were quoting around 3 or 4 wide.

Pipstar

in the recent market situation I am afraid that even we were swamped on occasion. Unfortunately our major upgrades on the processing speeds are only due to go live in early september. I notice that many exchanges were as swamped (the LSE went down for a while, data feeds from the states became ever more unreliable and tended to depend on which provider you were with, LIFFE has been less than perfect etc etc).

we are giving a very good service in the circumstances and it will get better and better as we upgrade more and more in the coming months.

Simon

Simon,

If you are entering the maket and banking 20-25 pips per trade over a period of 10mins to 1 hour ...does this constitute your definition of scalping ? .A few pages back on this thread it is mentioned that you do not care how long a client is in the market...Please advise.
Thanks

If we feel that you are attempting to 'scalp' on a regular basis then we may put you to dealer confirm.

Scalping is not a legitimate way to trade?
can you define scalping please?
I know that when I see a few points profit and I am not sure what will happen next, I have to take them.

scalping

there is no absolute definition of scalping but .... from our viewpoint scalping is when a client continually attempts to trade on slightly delayed prices in fast moving markets.. by continually i mean every few minutes....
if you see a quick profit and want to take it that is entirely your decision...if you hold positions for 15 seconds or 15 minutes then that is your skill against the market (not against us) you can trade 50/100 times a day it is all the same to us, if your trades are done on fair prices then good luck to you because you are beating the market not capital spreads.

We just quote market prices to our clients... we have continual two way business all the time in FX markets and we look (in the main) to just try to make the spread overall. If we have a client who makes good solid profits using whatever trading systems he/she has developed then we may just back his/her bets in the market we certainly do not stop them trading.

Scalping is watching a bank feed move and then trading on the fact that our prices may be fractionally delayed (although this delay is getting almost infintesimal now).

simon

CS: dealer interventions, unfair fills, and eventually poor customer service

i am happy to state that if you are a profitable client then we do not penalise you at all. If we feel that you are attempting to 'scalp' on a regular basis then we may put you to dealer confirm.

There seems to be differing opinions here on what constitutes scalping. Definitions have varied from holding short intra-day positions to deliberately trading on latent prices. For those clients who have been selected for "dealer confirm", would it be policy to be honest with them about this, or would they be told that their slow fills were due to volatile markets? Further, when a punter notices that every trade is going to a dealer, and they ask your staff about this, would it be explained that you do not like the stlye of their trading?

It is certainly possible, although not easy, to make consistent profits by making extremely short term trades in index futures, looking to take a 5-10 point move net of spread, and having the discipline to cut losses short immediately. This style of trading may involve short bursts of activity, including placing multiple trades inside of five minutes. This style of trading does require fast executions, and when your account is put on dealer confirm and you need to wait around 20 seconds or longer for fills, it can be somewhat more difficult. Regarding penalising clients, I have a query about "dealer interventions".

If every trade a client makes is referred to a dealer, and the dealers are busy, it can take some time to get orders filled. In a volitile market, 20 seconds is enough for the price to have moved outside your quoted spread. It is my personal experience that whenever I have had a trade go to a dealer and there has been a delay in filling the order, I am only filled if the price has moved against me.

To clarify; if the price is 20 points higher on a buy order when your dealers eventually take a look at it, the order is not filled. If the price is 20 points lower on a buy order (and therefore outside your spread of 4 for the Dow) it is filled. Deals are only rejected with a message "price no longer valid" if the market has moved against the client. This, combined with the time it takes your dealers to fill orders in busy markets, makes dealer intervention a severe penalty indeed! I would challenge some of the best traders to make good returns against that handicap. The delay in executions may be acceptable to those who do not trade on small timeframes, but only filling orders that are already losing? That is fairly impossible to get around.

I am expecting references to be made to the fact that it is easier to sell into a rising market than buy it, etc. I am not terribly interested in this, simply because there is an apparent bias. If your dealers rejected all orders which were outside the spread, including the losing ones, this would appear fair. Alternatively, you could pass the change in price on to the client, and this would also appear fairer. Clients are advised by your dealers in cases of discrepancies when orders are not filled that we trade against "your quote", in which case I would suggest that we should be able to trade it. Your computer dealing program can give good executions at the price you see on the screen, so the vast majority of clients won't have any problems with your firm in that regard until they trade too frequently, or win too much, or whatever your definition of scalping is and get this "dealer intervention". The price is correct at the time the order was made, however clients suffer due to your dealers decision to reject an order 20 seconds later because the price has moved in that period of time.

Other firms handle the matter differently; CMC requote in a fast market, and I have experienced both requotes in my favour and against me. This seems fair. It appears that what your firm can do is take a buy order in the Dow at 13560, wait 20 seconds to have the order confirmed, at which time the price is 13540, confirm the order and put any applicable hedge on at the lower price, and pocket the difference.

As an aside, to those of you who still trade with CS and are having this problem; the solution to the poor and delayed fills appears to be to take advantage of telephone trading. The dealers at CS are usually efficient and professional, and if you call them they are happy to quote a price in any market which they will let you trade at instantly. (one of the last times I tried this, the dealer entered incorrect orders and it took 15 minutes to clear the situation up - this would be the exception rather than the rule though - I simply gave up at this stage due to other issues with my account)

I understand that in fast moving markets executions may not be good, and in many cases your dealers do better than may be expected. I do however have issues with the honesty and transparency of your firm: you will admit here that you select suspect accounts for dealer confirm, however when my account was selected in the same manner your staff fobbed me off and would not even suggest it was my account which had been selected for this treatment. One of your dealers remarked that he could see how delays with the fills would affect any short term trading, and apologised for the unfortunate volatility in the markets. I did not realise it was my account which had been singled out for this treatment until I personally witnessed another CS client place a similar order in the same market and get filled instantly. I was rather appalled to discover I had been deceived.

When I had called your desk, I had been told that the slow fills were due to market volatility. I explained the style of my trading, and how being unsure of a fill for several seconds could be disadvantageous. Your dealers did not tell me that I was "scalping" or that this was an unsuitable way to trade, however somebody somewhere had made the decision to place my account on dealer intervention without telling me. Your dealers were not honest about the situation, to the extent that they would not admit that my account had been singled out in this way, and made several excuses as to why dealer intervention was being used (including that it was happening to all clients on certain markets, or that it was due to volatility in certain markets). At this point, I was able to independently verify that it was my account which was subject to this policy by watching one of your other clients trade the same markets at the same time with the same stake size.

Could I ask you to respond to the above issues about scalping, dealer intervention, and your fills policy? Further, could you state whether it is your policy to inform punters who are put on dealer intervention of this fact, or indeed is it your policy to offer alternate explanations if they happen to notice a change in the quality of service provided?

It is with regret that I must advise I am extremely disappointed with your firm. In addition to the dealer intervention / poor fills issue, one of your dealers made several mistakes transacting an order which took around 15 minutes to clear up, I have had funds erroneously debited from my account due to payment processing problems at your firm, and I further note that your FX prices were once again manifestly incorrect on Thursday evening. I had been advised that the FX issue was fully resolved.

To be fair, the funds were returned to my account after I was able to persuade your staff to have your accounts department look into the matter, and your mistake was discovered. Your staff were helpful in explaining and rectifying this matter. Your dealer did reverse her erroneous transactions (eventually) and my account balance was returned to what it should have been, but I did feel that I had to insist somewhat in order to have her correct the issue. In general however, I did feel that your staff were becoming less accommodating, to the point of declining to acknowledge correspondences relating to the manual fills issue.

I've read some of this thread, and noticed that you appear direct and frank in response to any queries. While I am not affected by these issues as I no longer trade with CS, I do feel it would be helpful if you could clarify some of the points I have made for the benefit of your (prospective) customers here.

Thank you for providing the Charity Trading Account - I feel that is a most laudable act. While my experience of your firm may have been somewhat unpleasant in the end, I am sure you have many happy clients. I never had any serious problems with your firm before my account was selected for dealer intervention, and always received very good executions prior to this.

I will not trade with a firm who have taken to shifting the odds further against me without having the courtesy to explain why, or to respond to my queries. I will not tolerate dishonesty either. The situation is most unfortunate. I only hope that you are able to clarify here how your other punters can expect to be treated. Perhaps you should include a section in your literature where you define "scalping" and expressly warn clients not to do this?

Wasn't trading a delayed price, still got dealer intervention

there is no absolute definition of scalping but .... from our viewpoint scalping is when a client continually attempts to trade on slightly delayed prices in fast moving markets.. by continually i mean every few minutes....
if you see a quick profit and want to take it that is entirely your decision...if you hold positions for 15 seconds or 15 minutes then that is your skill against the market (not against us) you can trade 50/100 times a day it is all the same to us, if your trades are done on fair prices then good luck to you because you are beating the market not capital spreads.

We just quote market prices to our clients... we have continual two way business all the time in FX markets and we look (in the main) to just try to make the spread overall. If we have a client who makes good solid profits using whatever trading systems he/she has developed then we may just back his/her bets in the market we certainly do not stop them trading.

Scalping is watching a bank feed move and then trading on the fact that our prices may be fractionally delayed (although this delay is getting almost infintesimal now).

simon

Simon, it appears you have defined scalping while I was busy with my tirade. All my index future trades were done on a correct price at the time - I did not notice latencies in your feed with the exception of one day a few weeks ago where as soon as I noticed this your market was put on telephone trading. After my account was put on dealer intervention, your dealers decided that they could wait 20 seconds to decide whether the price was right, and reject the order if the price had moved in my favour. Sometimes I do trade every few minutes, and other times I watch the screen and trade twice in an hour. If you truly do not mind your clients winning, why was my account (and I understand if you cannot comment specifically, just in terms of policy) placed on manual intervention just because I was trading frequently on correct prices? Further, why would your desk try and deceive me when I suspected that may be the case?

Oh, and for the record I know the last lot of deals I did in the Dow were on fair prices (ie the price within the spread of the underlying) because I had a live price from the CBOT up next to the CS price after I realised your dealers were only filling orders which moved against me. Watching the live YM price confirmed this suspicion - the price could have traded at the level I wanted for 10 out of the 20 seconds, and I would still get a trade rejected if the price later moved in my favour.

This matter is increasingly irrelevant to me as I have gone elsewhere, but I am still a little irked by the way I was treated, and would like to know if this is a policy or an unfortunate exception.

Lurkerlurker...

For what its worth I think quite a few of the spreadbetting firms have struggled with prices and executions over the last few weeks given this massive increase in volatility. I feel that some of this is down to inadiquiate hardware (ie slower computers / lack of bandwidth) and some of it is pure economics. I noticed that on Friday, after the Fed rate cut, I was only really able to trade with one of the spreadbetting accounts that I have. Finspreads struggled to even issue me with a quote whilst other accounts kept refusing orders on the grounds that "the price has moved" or "the price is no longer valid". When you think about it the spreads are irrelivent in fast moving or volatile markets as the spreads take up so little percentage of the swings. This is especially true on markets like FTSE and Dow which were moving so very fast and also trending. If clients catch trends in any great size then the firms are onto a loser from the start as all they can do is lock in a loss or hope the market reverses.

Personally I'm not unhappy with Capital although I have had a fair few trade rejections recently. To be honest, in some of the recent moves, it's been impossible to establish what the exact price is at any given point in time. This is a possibly a potential failing of spreadbetting although I'm not sure that 'failing' is the right word. If you use direct access then you will find that you will always be able to get an 'instant fill' if you use a market order but the chances of getting the price on the screen (in sharp trends) is highly unlikely. Personally I've been filled 10 points away on YM's before. This means that the average spreadbetter wants a bit of a free lunch on fills in fast markets - instant fills at the screen price with no slip represents value which is not genuinely available in the real market.

I'm not taking sides here but I do see both sides of the coin.

Steve.

Steve, thanks for the reply. I would not have a problem with that in general, however the point is that we are not talking about the odd order. All my trades were referred to a dealer for confirmation, which slowed my executions drastically. The CS dealers were nothing short of deceptive about that, and tried to cite other factors - they simply would not admit that my account had been selected for dealer intervention - they tried to tell me that only some orders went to dealers during periods of high volatility (fair enough), and then told me that all Dow orders were going to dealers. I then saw another client get automatically filled at the same time in the same market as I was getting referred to dealer. To clarify, they told me it was nothing to do with my account, all Dow orders were going to dealer intervention because the Dow was volitile, and I then witness another client get an automatic fill on a Dow order while a similar order I place at the same time gets delayed for 20 seconds and then rejected.

Also, I note you have had a few trades rejected due to volatility. I understand that may happen, and provided the rejections are balanced again I do not have a problem. If any order which reaches a dealer and is outside the spread at the time the order is received is rejected, that would be fair. My objection lies when they fill orders when the market has moved 20 points against my position, when they would reject the same order if the price had moved 20 points in my favour instead.

I appreciate that a large volume of SB complaints are a result of punters who either don't understand the underlying markets, or seem to think that they should get a good deal at the expense of the firm (for example complaining about a 10 point forex stop slip over a major number). I do not believe this to be the case in this instance. I would have been happy to be patient with CS due to the volatility in the underlying market if I felt they were being fair and honest. As it appears they were being deceptive about putting my account on manual fills. Further, this was not the first issue I had with CS, and decided that since they were fairly unwilling to address my concerns I should trade somewhere else.

Hope this clarifies some things. CS appeared to be a good company at first, and I am somewhat disappointed with what has happened. I am sure that most of their clients who have been with them for years would have been happy enough with the service. However, in the last few weeks they seem to have had a myriad of IT issues which they have been unable to deal with, and their staff appear to be getting more and more frustrated with handling queries.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things. I can see both sides of the coin, and there have been some times when I have had nothing short of exceptional service from spreadbetting companies in adverse market conditions. I've had a few fills from CS dealers over the telephone which have either been generous, or represent an incredibly rare amount of skill in getting certain prices. While it is nice that sometimes they would go the extra mile for clients, I'd just prefer honest reliable and consistent service. The markets are stressful enough without having to chase your broker.

Questions for Simon

Question for Simon.

Hi My name is Jim. I am very much a small part timer at this. While I appreciate your 1 point spread on the FTSE, why does it change to 4 points at 5.30pm. Just wondered. Also, I read that you don't mind having winning clients as, have I got this right, for every winner, there are more losers. Is there ever a situation where when a client trades at a higher level, you pay closer attention to that client and when they trade, you "lay" there bet off and if so, what is that level.

By the way, I understand that in times of high volatility, it can be tricky getting trades on. I have had some rejected but to me it is just something to be dealt with. Your platform I find, in the main, works well and I am sure that you are always looking for ways to improve things.

Regards Jim

lurkerlurker

i am very sorry that you have experienced problems over the last week or so but you must realise that the trading environment has not been normal... as mentioned in an earlier message we are generally at the mercy of our data suppliers and under the pressure many of the exchanges simply gave up the ghost. This meant that quite frequently the price being displayed on our feeds (and therefore the feeds to our clients) was simply out of date.

In these times it is difficult to give a perfect service but I can assure you that the dealers do not 'sit on' a price for some time before filling them. You have to remember that if you are trying to trade these markets then so are probably half our clients all at the same time. The dealers just pick up the trades in the order that they are received and when we have thirty/forty /fifty trades every few seconds this will inevitably mean delays. Much bigger exchanges/spread betting companies than us felt the strain and went down under the load.

We continually strive to increase the speed and functionality of the whole platform and our new upgrades are due to go live in just a few weeks which should solve many of these issues.

In times of extreme volatility ALL clients go to dealer acceptance not just a select few. If a client goes to dealer acceptance then that is a desision taken by Capital Spreads alone.

also I must appologise if you felt my staff were being less than their normal sunny selves but, please, if you can for a moment put yourselves in their shoes over the last two weeks. With everyone and his dog trading massive volumes just when half the office is off on well earned summer breaks has meant that there is less time for each individual problem.

Jamebk

the reason that the FTSE widens after 5.30 is because that is the time that the FTSE futures on LIFFE close and from that point onwards we are quoting a calculated price based upon the movements of the other major indices that are still open (dax/dow/s&p) this inevitably means that our price is merely an educated estimation not a precise price based upon an exactly correlating underlying market.

Simon