Best Thread Capital Spreads

Hi Vorbis, as opposed to trading there and then you can enter orders in the normal way by clicking on the ORDER button from the front screen (next to TRADE button). Is that what you mean?

Yes, if you place the order in advance rather than entering at the market, no trail option is available.

Ok, a little help, please :smart: You tick the box for the trailing stop and it defaults to 10pts. What if I want to make it 20 or any other other figure? :help:

Ok, a little help, please :smart: You tick the box for the trailing stop and it defaults to 10pts. What if I want to make it 20 or any other other figure? :help:

I just got the email from CS which pretty much answers my question. If I've got this right, 10 is the figure - take it or leave it. What I was looking for was not 20 or 30, but 1 (ideally) thereby locking in every point gained in favour of the trade. Not to worry - let's see how it goes... :D

And Merry Christmas to you guys :)

outa my gourd

a trailing stop of 1 is virtually worthless as it would stop you out almost immediately. Just a 1 pip reversal would close the position, that kind of micro management is probably better handled manualy.

it would guarantee that you never got on the back of a good move in your favour as even the best moves have the odd down print.

just my opinion of course

Simon

Hi Simon- there was mention on another thread that you opened FTSE-daily today and based it on the DAX? Is that correct and have you done this before, or was it an experiment, etc.?

c6ackp

yes we opened the FTSE today. as in the past our 'out of hours' markets are based on the moves of other 'comparable' markets (in this case the DAX and CAC) over the period from when they close on their market price. the market information pages explain this.

we did indicate in our 'holiday opening hours' table that the FTSE market would be open

i am quite surprised that our competitors did not do the same (as they are fully able to quote such prices) and any clients with short positions will suffer quite badly tommorrow, as they would have been totally unable to close out. And those of our clients with long positions will also have been able to take profits just in case the expected move does not actually happen tomorrow. With Capital Spreads our clients will have been able to trade as per normal (admitedly on the wider 'out of hours' market spread). We expect the FTSE to open over 100 points higher tomorrow.

i might also point out that even in the very low liquidity markets in the FX we still quoted the Eur/Usd on our permanent fixed spread of 1 pip. i.e not 'spreads as low as' or 'spreads from' but spreads AT 1 PIP 24 hrs a day from Sunday night to Friday night.

Simon

Last edited:
thanks Simon - yes I noticed the 1 pip on EU : OANDA had 2.8 today - could be some january-effect on the cards next week...

c6ackp

watching the 'premium provider' who crow about spreads from 0.8 i have not seen a spread under 2.0 for the period i have been monitoring (occasionally 2.2 or more) ...

watch out for those 'spreads as low as' they are seldom what they claim !

all Capital Spreads FX markets are on fixed spreads and, barring some apocalyptic event, these are permanent

Simon

c6ackp

watching the 'premium provider' who crow about spreads from 0.8 i have not seen a spread under 2.0 for the period i have been monitoring (occasionally 2.2 or more) ...

watch out for those 'spreads as low as' they are seldom what they claim !

all Capital Spreads FX markets are on fixed spreads and, barring some apocalyptic event, these are permanent

Simon

Yes, I wonder how that well-known SB gets away with it. Perhaps because following the true spread at every instant is almost impossible?

Agree with you about the lack of FTSE quotes today, too, particularly because I'm one of those unfortunates who's going to lose a load of points on shorts at the open.:(

our final quote last night on the ftse was 5671 the first print on the FTSE at 08.00.01 was 5679 but down at 5671 within a minute

not bad considering by this time the DAX had moved some 280 points ! it seems that our pricing model performed pretty damned well

Simon

our final quote last night on the ftse was 5671 the first print on the FTSE at 08.00.01 was 5679 but down at 5671 within a minute

not bad considering by this time the DAX had moved some 280 points ! it seems that our pricing model performed pretty damned well

Simon

Yep, filled at the worst possible price and a nice fat loss for me, as expected... It's enough to make me want to try CS again, if only you'd offer 1pt spread on US30! As a matter of interest, at what time and level did your DJ quote open?

ross

i am afraid that we joined the other companies in closing the US markets until 11am this morning (just too random to extrapolate a price from just the DAX, CAC) our opening price on the Wall Street 30 market at 11.00.01 was, I believe, 12435-12437

simon

Yep, filled at the worst possible price and a nice fat loss for me, as expected... It's enough to make me want to try CS again, if only you'd offer 1pt spread on US30! As a matter of interest, at what time and level did your DJ quote open?
Yes I am also waiting for CS to join in with 1 point spread on the Dow. I like the company, and have been trading with them for many years. In the meantime other SB will have to do, and the latest addition promise good. When finally IG joins in the choir I guess CS cannot stand outside anymore.

Hi Simon

The CS iphone app stops working (prices stop updating) when I'm logged in for about 15 minutes. I also get the occasional crash (i.e. the app exits when I click on an instrument). Is it not compatible with iOS 5, which is what I'm using? I've set the timeout to 59 mins 59 seconds.

Thanks.

I opened a demo acct before Christmas, wanted to try a spread betting platform and liked the 1 pip spread on the eur/usd. The problem I found was the order ticket seldom if ever worked on the first click when exiting a trade. I tried it again today hoping it would work better but found it was worse, I made a few trades and it never filled on the first click, had to always press the back button, on exit on a couple occasions more then once, very frustrating even though it was only a demo acct. The result was a greater loss. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be with a real account.

Someone that has used both the demo and has a real account did you find that the real account worked better, or was it the same as when you used the demo, whether good or bad?

Thanks

hacks

i will get IT to look into this.

gle

i happen to agree that we ought to go to 1 pip (unfortunately i cannot yet carry the day!)

i think you can safely assume that if this was happening on the live accounts then this thread would be filled with such comments. To be honest though i have never seen this comment about the demo account either so i will get the techy bods to see if something is going wrong with it.

simon

gle

i happen to agree that we ought to go to 1 pip (unfortunately i cannot yet carry the day!)

simon

FWIW, DYOR, etc, I think all SBs will be offering 1pt on US30 sooner or later. If you changed now and the platform can handle it your volume on this market would probably double, which would have a knock-on effect on business generally.