Can mechanical forex systems work?

"Wait, the market seems to be going consistently up, but my system expects cyclic, should I stop it running? But maybe it'll hit a cycle in the trend, and then I'd make money. Wait, how about I put a confirmation step into the trade entry using very long term Stochastics to ensure I'm not trading against oversold/overbought. Oh, wait, I could have made a good profit there if I'd just used a short SMA on the close indicator rather than one with the same period as my primary indicator. Is this even working anymore? Ack, can I afford to lose this money. No, it's fine, it works, you proved it works, even without human intervention. You're right. Wait, is that a resistance level? Oh, I think a see a trend! Hangon, I've got an idea on making a trend driven pattern recognition strategy..."

"Doctor, I think it's time to up his dosage"

Seriously though peeps, I'm shutting down the live system until about 9pm tonight, before I drive myself crazy. I'll tell you how paper trading did at the end of the day, though :)

Two trades, two losses, 7 pips down. Deep resentment for the universe.

Of course, Collective2's version manages to turn that into a slight profit because I'm manually entering trades and got better prices.

There's an irony to this.

For the folks still following; trade this morning merely didn't work. Totally to plan loss stuff, not an issue. Then, suddenly I spot a live trade on the market and my system hasn't told me, around 3:30. Ack, I go, that's not good. The market's moved a little against me since then, and I quickly copy the trade into Collective 2 (people have been promised a copy of my live trading account, and dangit they're going to get it, screwups and all). Kill the autotrade system before it goes mad and kills someone. Market's now moving fast against me. Next thing I know, I'm 14 pips down. I know, I think, I'll buy. I mean, my system works reliably, that's got to be a good plan!

Look, I'm auto-trading currencies intraday based on pure technical analyis, for a strategy I've named Catching Daggers. Ya think doubling down is going to make things worse?

So now I'm 18 pips down, and have extra stake at... err... stake. Flatmate starts looking concerned at my glazed expression, and tries nudging me from the computer. Can't move, shut down the auto trade, must stay 'til it closes.

Wait, 12 pips down, it's getting there. 14. 9. 10. GYAH! Eventually can't take any more of this at 8 pips down from original. The doubling down helped, though, and I close out at 7 pips and one nervous breakdown, down.

Paper trading for now until I'm absolutely sure it actually autotrades properly, again...

Edit: Naturally, the market peaks 4 pips higher, which would have made me a slight profit on the day, after the doubling.

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll get it cracked.

Have you tried applying your system to EoD bars? Might offer a less stressful trading option while you get the kinks in your auto-intraday trading ironed out.

rnicoll - wow I thought I got stressed but it seems I have nothing on you. I think it may be time for that rest you were talking about. Especially fo so few pips - is there any reason you are looking for so few? I would have thought a strategy called falling daggers was pretty risky - and so should you not be looking for some big payoffs rather small ones?

OK yesterday my system did nothing at all. I however made £350+ (so with about £3+ per pip average something in the order of 80+ odd pips)

So 1 nil to me so far.

Last edited:
No.

I trade on feel for price action, I do like to get back into a trend at reversal points as my system does - but I don't use the same criteria as it does - much more about how I feel the pattern has shaped up rather than a mechanical analysis. I will also trade against a trend occasionally when I think it is exhausted - something I haven't thought of a way to mechanise (although that appears to be what rnicoll has).

rnicoll - wow I thought I got stressed but it seems I have nothing on you. I think it may be time for that rest you were talking about. Especially fo so few pips - is there any reason you are looking for so few? I would have thought a strategy called falling daggers was pretty risky - and so should you not be looking for some big payoffs rather small ones?

OK yesterday my system did nothing at all. I however made £350+ (so with about £3 per pip average something in the order of 80 odd pips)

So 1 nil to me so far.

Its difficult to trade at the moment
seem to be a lot of support on prices
see how the price drops , and the recovers straight away
just waiting for the us markets to open

No.

I trade on feel for price action, I do like to get back into a trend at reversal points as my system does - but I don't use the same criteria as it does - much more about how I feel the pattern has shaped up rather than a mechanical analysis. I will also trade against a trend occasionally when I think it is exhausted - something I haven't thought of a way to mechanise (although that appears to be what rnicoll has).

So we have a proper competition of man vs. machine made by that man rather than just a reliability test of your system. I'm rooting for machine made by that man:p

So we have a proper competition of man vs. machine made by that man rather than just a reliability test of your system. I'm rooting for machine made by that man:p

Me too - then I can just leave the thing alone and go out and do something better instead. :cheesy:

OK yesterday my system did nothing at all. I however made £350+ (so with about £3+ per pip average something in the order of 80+ odd pips)

So 1 nil to me so far.

Psychology has always been a massive issue for me, and frequently wrecks what would otherwise be profitable trades. And yeah, I should be looking for about 10-20 pips per trade (it gets them right most of the time, too).

Making the point for me; it opened USD/CAD selling at 1.0022 this morning, I bought at 1.0020, I just go a text from the test version (which was started after this) saying it bought at 1.0007, so I basically threw away a 13 pip profit due to impatience.

I need to be able to accept that there will be losses, and that if I keep taking profits early then I won't have enough profit to weather the losses. I also need to accept that I could lose my entire trading account and considerably more and it wouldn't be catastrophic (it would really sting, but...)

No.

Fairly much. I'd offer to swap, but suspect it would be more than a little unfair on you :)

Edit: Specifically, I think you've got a better developed strategy than I have...

My own attempts to trade haven't gone well since about April, which is how this all got started, so I think I'll pass on manually trading right now :)

(That said, I can call trades and people can go against them, that could be worthwhile :cheesy: )

Edit: Computer: 31. Human: 2. Doh!

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you've got a good system and just need to trade it as you've set out.

Would you not be better spending your time getting the system automated properly (using the rules you have that you're confident work) rather than trying to trade it. I get the impression that you're making slower progress than you should be with the automation because you're too worried about trading right now.

Once you've got the system working reliably and applying your system rules I expect it'd be easier to sit back and leave it to work for you rather than interfering with it yourself.

It sounds to me like you've got a good system and just need to trade it as you've set out.

Would you not be better spending your time getting the system automated properly (using the rules you have that you're confident work) rather than trying to trade it. I get the impression that you're making slower progress than you should be with the automation because you're too worried about trading right now.

Once you've got the system working reliably and applying your system rules I expect it'd be easier to sit back and leave it to work for you rather than interfering with it yourself.

Yes... not aided by the fact that the market is completely messing with my system right now (it makes a profit, but less than it should). Automation is mostly done, as long as I stop adding new bits that might break or tweaking bits here and there. I just need to keep the paper trading version up and running until I'm confident in it, from forward testing.

Today's bit of experience:

Now, I'm paper trading until at least 5pm 'cos it's a heavy news day, but figured would be interesting to see how it goes. Currently only have my system set up for GBP/USD and USD/CAD. At 1230 GMT (13:30 UK time), some expected news came out in Canada, which was clearly bad 'cos USD/CAD took off like a rocket. Have a look at

USD to CAD Share Price Chart | USDCAD=X | | Yahoo! Finance UK

Now, I get this text saying my paper version bought a 1.0058, and by the time I can check the market has turned around and is dropping fast. Great... and then next time I look, it's at 1.0070. So I'm sitting here, fretting over what went wrong, when I notice something on GBP/USD:

GBP to USD Share Price Stock, Quote | GBPUSD=X | | Yahoo! Finance UK

Basically, my system got hit from both sides at once, and that knocked it way off. It caught the first peak, but didn't get out in time to trade the second. Not sure it _can_ be fixed without trashing a lot of the best profits, it's just an interesting side-effect of currencies. Figured it might interest people :)

Just an update quickly; market volatility's been blocking my system out. I had the paper trading version up all day, it did try trading mid-afternoon but Interactive Broker's client didn't like me (I _hope_ it's just an issue with the paper trading version). Apart from that, volatility's a blocker on my system so I just ain't doing anything. Haven't died and/or had a nervous breakdown yet :)

Interesting thread

Just an update quickly; market volatility's been blocking my system out. I had the paper trading version up all day, it did try trading mid-afternoon but Interactive Broker's client didn't like me (I _hope_ it's just an issue with the paper trading version). Apart from that, volatility's a blocker on my system so I just ain't doing anything. Haven't died and/or had a nervous breakdown yet :)

I have been following this thread with some interest and wanted to addres a number o points mad, as I have been looking recently at increased automation. I'm afraid it's a rather long look at the posts to date:

North5 - In order to do so I have felt it best to stay away from what others have done and work it out for myself.

I think this is the best approach because you will understand it and the market conditions in which you want to apply it better. If these conditions change you are more able to adapt to them.

Rossini - The drawdowns are very low and im getting conststant results, which I think is more important than high reterns followed by large drawdowns

Yes – consistency is important, as is creating a strategy that works in different market conditions or, where you know its limitations and exclude yourself from trading in those particular market conditions.

The Blades - Put some effort into how you will decide when your system has stopped working

Good advice and it should also highlight market conditions that you might not have anticipated and perhaps be able to factor these in during development

£10k loser - Back-testing over more years just gets further away from current market conditions your choice is: buy a monkey, buy a system or actually learn to trade.

Again various valid points – I believe that live testing under human supervision/intervention is the final true test of any strategy and system

Rnicoll – the NinjaTrader performance report is almost identical to the Tradestation version and I believe the 2 platforms are related historically. For anyone who uses Tradestation and has access to their forum, there is a nice webinar on how to interpret the performance report and strategy optimisation

North5 - Do you have any opinion on the idea of cutting stake by 30% after a loss and increasing it by 20% after a win

I’m not sure that this is the right approach. I think it is better to assess risk prior to entry and to adjust position size based upon that assessment. Such an assessment would include market conditons and timeframes used for trading

Chorlton - one can greatly increase the performance of a system by focusing on the Money Management,

Very important point

Rnicoll - do you ever find yourself staring at your system going "Why won't you trade?" when it seems to be missing obvious money?

If it is missing obvious money then it IS missing obvious money. This suggests that there is room for alteration of some of the parameters or adding more conditions/alternative indicators or patterns or looking at working with multiple timeframes. It should be possible to plug the obvious gaps
North5 - I just fix my limit and stop at the entry - it's hard enough trying to work out an entry let alone trying to work out a way to maximise profits from that entry.

Do you use trailing stops ? Have you looked at the use of Parabolic SAR for exits ?

North5 - I'm wondering if I should look into using a platform - but I'm not sure how well it would work in these as the idea behind it is a bit different to your normal TA stuff.

I think using a trading related language is easier as long as it is sophisticated enough. The beauty of such a language is that conditions such as cross above or cross below, plotting, handling the different types of prices and common indicators are automatically handled. One of my platforms is Tradestation and the Easylanguage syntax handles this kind of thing. Also the more sophisticated tools will generally have user forums where code is shared. The language is quicker to learn because it is more like English and trader’s speak.

North5 - Source control isn't my strong point either. I'm always changing stuff then when I want to change back or do something I've done previously I normlly have to recode it as I never kept a copy

This is so important. It is so easy to screw things up and need to return to previous code. Also during development you might often come across an idea that is discarded, but you might want to pick up again and incorporate along with other ideas, so a good naming convention for each code version or code snippet is handy.

North5 - I'm still going to get it to record the trades that I exclude - and compare if it makes a difference - just need to work out what I think I should be telling it....

Again – Tradestation’s performance report would allow this kind of thing. You create 2 strategies – one including the trades and the other with different conditions/input parameters that causes the trades to be excluded. Running the 2 scenarios against the performance report compares the results. Excluded trades could, if necessary, be sent out to a message log, along the lines of IF condition A is true then buy else print to log date, time, price, value of relevant indicator etc.

RNicoll - IB do a $500 "industry standard" interface

This, alongside Tradestation is another broker I use. Both have industry standard APIs. I’m not sure where the $500 comes from, because IBs comes with the platform. An IB account can be run with a bare minimum of monthly outlay, although Tradestation’s is substantially more if you don’t hit their min lots.

RNicoll - I'm nervous that EoD trading is too fundamental driven for a technical analysis to be terribly effective,

Both IB and TS enable strategies to include some FA, but whether or not it covers the kind of fundamentals that you require is something you would need to check out

North6 - spent quite a few hours over the weekend having look at MetaTrader. don't think I could get it to do what I want. It appears to be entirely indicator driven - There isn't really any way to record paterns like I do in my DB without a huge series of Arrays or something.

Vrothdar - For now my ability to use VBA/excel is doing enough for me. I may get the opportunity to learn SQL at work which I expect might help as well.

If VBA/Excel provide what you need then fine. I would just re-iterate my point above that languages incorporated in trading software is designed specifically for the purpose and the language is often similar to normal English, so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel to get it to do “trading things”. SQL is a language I know, but unless you are planning to create some database in SQLserver or Oracle, I don’t think it would be useful for trading, except to the extent that it helps to teach one to think programmatically

Rnicoll - my system expects cyclic

This is quite an important point. Sometimes you find code that works well in an uptrend, but give entirely false long trades in a downtrend, or you find code that works well in a trend but not a range. It may be necessary therefore to overlay a second tier of code that examines the general direction and behavious e.g. uptrend,
Downtrend, volatile, rangebound/ This may well use a different indicator or time frame and, once evaluated, this is fed into a second piece of code that determines entries and exits based on the initial market character evaluation.

Rnicoll - Psychology has always been a massive issue for me, and frequently wrecks what would otherwise be profitable trades.

One of the most important tests of a strategy, automated or otherwise, is what does it do for you psycholically. If it gives good signals that you feel you can really trust you are more able to sit it out letting profits run to fruition and ignoring minor retracements.

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting……

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings

To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

Rnicoll - market volatility's been blocking my system out

This is perhaps one of these “overlays” I talked about earlier, whereby you assess independently market volatility and then feed that assessment into the rest of your code e.g. if too volatile do not trade until assessment changes, or, if too volatile reduce position size

I will continue watching with interest

Charlton

Rnicoll - do you ever find yourself staring at your system going "Why won't you trade?" when it seems to be missing obvious money?

If it is missing obvious money then it IS missing obvious money. This suggests that there is room for alteration of some of the parameters or adding more conditions/alternative indicators or patterns or looking at working with multiple timeframes. It should be possible to plug the obvious gaps

The question is whether by letting some of these trades through, do I also let failed trades slip through?

RNicoll - IB do a $500 "industry standard" interface

This, alongside Tradestation is another broker I use. Both have industry standard APIs. I’m not sure where the $500 comes from, because IBs comes with the platform. An IB account can be run with a bare minimum of monthly outlay, although Tradestation’s is substantially more if you don’t hit their min lots.

Ah, the $500 is the FIX based API. Having run tcpdump over the network stream from their client, it's fairly clear what this means is you're sending the same stuff their client is, rather than the weird "simplified" mush that's their free API. Which does crazy things like passing times around as formatted strings.

RNicoll - I'm nervous that EoD trading is too fundamental driven for a technical analysis to be terribly effective,

Both IB and TS enable strategies to include some FA, but whether or not it covers the kind of fundamentals that you require is something you would need to check out

Looking over trades, I'm also realising that EoD does some rather interesting, but different, things compared to intraday. I think a lot of traders wake up the next day and realise they got carried away in one direction, for example. My strategy as is probably won't work, but I can see the starts to others that might do better.

If VBA/Excel provide what you need then fine. I would just re-iterate my point above that languages incorporated in trading software is designed specifically for the purpose and the language is often similar to normal English, so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel to get it to do “trading things”. SQL is a language I know, but unless you are planning to create some database in SQLserver or Oracle, I don’t think it would be useful for trading, except to the extent that it helps to teach one to think programmatically

I've got a propery MySQL database underlying my code because it allows recording of the complete internal state minute by minute. It's a massive amount of data, but makes analysis of what's gone wrong very easy. Same reason I'm writing my own platform; it's a pain, but I can step through it easily if there's a problem.

Rnicoll - my system expects cyclic

This is quite an important point. Sometimes you find code that works well in an uptrend, but give entirely false long trades in a downtrend, or you find code that works well in a trend but not a range. It may be necessary therefore to overlay a second tier of code that examines the general direction and behavious e.g. uptrend,
Downtrend, volatile, rangebound/ This may well use a different indicator or time frame and, once evaluated, this is fed into a second piece of code that determines entries and exits based on the initial market character evaluation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... at the moment, I'm turning it on and off by hand to avoid news, which is generally good enough to filter out the worst of the directed bits. Longer term, though, definitely needs pattern matching for trending/non-trending.

Rnicoll - Psychology has always been a massive issue for me, and frequently wrecks what would otherwise be profitable trades.

One of the most important tests of a strategy, automated or otherwise, is what does it do for you psycholically. If it gives good signals that you feel you can really trust you are more able to sit it out letting profits run to fruition and ignoring minor retracements.

I'm currently working on versions I can accept more easily. Spent last night working on stop-loss/profit target, but didn't find anything too useful alas. Trying to use Stochastics/MACD on much shorter timescales than my primary indicator is my next idea.

Rnicoll - market volatility's been blocking my system out

This is perhaps one of these “overlays” I talked about earlier, whereby you assess independently market volatility and then feed that assessment into the rest of your code e.g. if too volatile do not trade until assessment changes, or, if too volatile reduce position size

Somewhat, yes. It's worth noting that my system is a brutally simple approach, which gets most of its effectiveness through side-effects of the statistics it's all based on, so it's not an explicit check on momentum but a side-effect of its design. That make sense?

Last edited:

Surely it depends on whether or not it's missing trades that it should be entering based on the preset trading rules. I deliberately don't use charts as I feel it puts me at risk of trying to curve fit my system because it all looks so obvious with hindsight.

If you look hard enough you'll find lots of situations where your entry conditions are very nearly met, but not quite, with a favourable price movement following. These stand out in your mind and make you feel as though your system is under performing - unfortunately the same consideration is rarely given to your entry conditions very nearly being met, but not quite, and the price moving against you.

Surely it depends on whether or not it's missing trades that it should be entering based on the preset trading rules. I deliberately don't use charts as I feel it puts me at risk of trying to curve fit my system because it all looks so obvious with hindsight.

If you look hard enough you'll find lots of situations where your entry conditions are very nearly met, but not quite, with a favourable price movement following. These stand out in your mind and make you feel as though your system is under performing - unfortunately the same consideration is rarely given to your entry conditions very nearly being met, but not quite, and the price moving against you.

Talking of moving against you:

Computer: 0
Human: -40

This is why:

1. Why I don't trade by hand.
2. Following the recipe... err, system... is important.

As it stands, I'm having to back away from all this. Fundamentally, there's no way I have the confidence to trade the sorts of amount of money that are required to use any automated platform I've found so far. So, I'm going to be forward testing for a few months, see if I can get the confidence I need. Beyond that, I'm going to get a lot more sleep, and once I'm well rested, will be looking at trading by hand again. I've learnt a lot during this, and taking that experience and using it should help me make enough money to risk losing it on the automated platform.

Oh, and the Collective2 version will be hooked up to the paper trading system, so the curious can track my progress there.