Boiler Room Scams

Hi looker1
If one refers to the various posts on VITOL CAPITAL MANAGEMENT late last year and into ths year one would note my ( bitter) experience, along with so many others ,of this particularly "successful" scam operation.
The reason for this reply is that during my experience in this scam I was in contact with the very "smooth " American accent of a Mr. Ron Jones who I would venture to suggest was the Ron Jones of your experience.He only came into the picture when I was in the process of attempting to withdraw funds from the quite professionally presented INTENX A/C I had ( on paper ).
I have moved on having given it my best shot to try to participate in any distribution from either the Funds frozen here in Australia by ASIC or the funds "available" through the judgement of the US Federal Court (Refer Attachment/s ).

I had a 'phone call back in Sept 07 from a Nathan Plonar (CFTC ) advising that whilst I was correct in my assesment that Non US Residents were able to claim against the judgement CFTC were not able to distribute any funds as they were unable to track down any individuals involved as they were operating out of Hong Kong & the Philipines and that they quote : " Too smart " and that jurisdictional difficulties determined that there was no hope of any satisfactory outcome.

This obviously, will come as no surprise to you from what i can assume is your experince and contacts in these matters.
But then again maybe there is a possible opening for an enterprising Bounty Hunter acting for the CFTC ??

Hi AWCX,

Interesting to read the items you posted there, It would appear something I have commented on before is now the case, which in turn also brings one of the largest known scammers of all time into the picture. Armand Pastrana, (AKA Ding) once quoted by time magazine as "the Henry Ford of Boiler Rooms" (google that quote and you should find 2 articles still) Ding Is Filipino, and responsible for in excess of 100 boiler room scams. Rumour has it that he has gone to the extent of a sex change, quite whether that is for his own pleasure or due to the inability to travel who knows. Anyway, Ding was rumoured to be setting up fake exchanges on the account of "paper" investments being too "transparent" for the average person to google and find out if they were real. Basically, set up an exchange website, link it correctly, make it rank well in the search engines by connecting it to real sites, then, when anyone does any checking, any complaints are way too far down the list for most people to see. The punter beleives its real, until as you found, they try to get their money out.

As to what recourse there is on claimimg funds, thats a long and painful process, usually one that the local authorities just wash under the carpet and have a habit of forgetting about. Although there is a lot of cooperation between authorites in the Vitol case, the differing of law in each jurisdiction is huge, one in particular being Malaysia, the Malays have never allowed external authorities to investigate in there country prior to invitation, this usually takes months to get, by which time the offenders have packed up and moved on. All that is likely to happen with the money there is that the banks with the money are not bound by law to tell a foregin authority who opened the account, and beings as most are opend with fake documents anyway, it still becomes impossible to track. as a result, the money sits there, either frozen by the bank or the government until its forgotten about. I cannot recall a case, where a boiler room has closed, moeny been frozen, and much returned to investors. If the room is still live when raided yes, there has been money returned in some cases. It goes to show, its not so much the scammers are clever, more the authorities need to sort their act out before issuing accounts, and organize more comunication between countries in a timely fashion.

To anyone who has sbeen scammed, as much as you can in to as much press worldwide as you can and shame the authorities and the banks in to taking responsibility for their actions, and keep the pressure up. Reporting to the police is fine, but they dont care if some guy has lost 100k here and there, the opinion tends to be "Oh well" and they forget about it.

Keep it in the press, you might stand a chance, you only need one polititon to take it up.

Hi,
newbie here,
Found this site after googling 'Linsure' to see what was happening with the proposed float.
The only contacts I have there are John Marsh and Martha Wilson. Last contact with JM said float was hopefully going ahead early '08 (looks doubtful with the economy as it is).
Shares bought after 'cold call' from 'The Roth Institute' working out of Milan.
Anyone know anything about this crowd?

Cheers,

Alec

Hi again,
anyone know anything of Dan white at Worldwide research group.com? Was flogging Neupara.com last Easter.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi,
newbie here,
Found this site after googling 'Linsure' to see what was happening with the proposed float.
The only contacts I have there are John Marsh and Martha Wilson. Last contact with JM said float was hopefully going ahead early '08 (looks doubtful with the economy as it is).

Cheers,

Alec

Hi smudgey,

Good to see this board is "googling" well again! best way to begin tracking these down is post the websites of all companies involved in full. This does 2 things, It means those of us that have been around can put up the registrations of the websites and servers, giving you a good idea if the company is likely to be there next week, and an idea if it is amateurs by the details they have used for the registration. The other thing it does, is when people google to check before they send money, there is a good chance this thread will show up, meaning that less money gets sent to them, making this "business" less worthwhile for them to do. Linsure I have commented on a few posts back, put the other details up and I will take a further look ad see if i can give you any insight, there are a number of regular watchers of this board, all of which will help if they can.

Hi smudgey,

Good to see this board is "googling" well again! best way to begin tracking these down is post the websites of all companies involved in full. This does 2 things, It means those of us that have been around can put up the registrations of the websites and servers, giving you a good idea if the company is likely to be there next week, and an idea if it is amateurs by the details they have used for the registration. The other thing it does, is when people google to check before they send money, there is a good chance this thread will show up, meaning that less money gets sent to them, making this "business" less worthwhile for them to do. Linsure I have commented on a few posts back, put the other details up and I will take a further look ad see if i can give you any insight, there are a number of regular watchers of this board, all of which will help if they can.

www.therothinstitute.com
WorldWideResearchGroup (web-site links to Neupara, an American wifi company hoping to set up wireless internet connectivity USA wide soon.

hi everybody,

does the the name templeton finance, located in quebec canada, sound familiar to anybody?
they offered me barrick gold shares for 36 bucks (market now around 50).
when i said i'm not interested they lowered their minimum req. to open an account from 5k to 1500 dollars!
what makes it really fishy is their homepage at Templeton Finance : HOME.
sounds like a huge company but have only been online since last june. one person contact for all site related stuff. no history. and if you do an alexa run you get an average of 3 page views per user average... wow ... big business huh!
their phone number is shown as a residential number at intelus.
there are a few more things that look pretty odd for a M&A company (like it says on the website).
whatever ... please let me know if you've heard from them or even did business with them.
tia
peter

hi everybody,

does the the name templeton finance, located in quebec canada, sound familiar to anybody?
they offered me barrick gold shares for 36 bucks (market now around 50).
when i said i'm not interested they lowered their minimum req. to open an account from 5k to 1500 dollars!
what makes it really fishy is their homepage at Templeton Finance : HOME.
sounds like a huge company but have only been online since last june. one person contact for all site related stuff. no history. and if you do an alexa run you get an average of 3 page views per user average... wow ... big business huh!
their phone number is shown as a residential number at intelus.
there are a few more things that look pretty odd for a M&A company (like it says on the website).
whatever ... please let me know if you've heard from them or even did business with them.
tia
peter

CCat
Hope you haven't sent them any money. Not heard of them but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. No matter what the deal is, don't be tempted.

Hi,
newbie here,

Cheers,

Alec

Smudgey
Don't know the Roth Institute but know Linsure very well. No chance of a float whatever the state of the economy. If you think otherwise, I suggest you ask them for more information about their property venture in Croatia and for some information about their activity in Litigation Insurance. Their $7 million 'asset' was being quoted years ago. I'm not sure which Croatia their property is in but I don't think it's the one in Europe. Hope you've not lost too much. Your later posting is suggests someone is targetting you. If you've invested once, your name will by now be all around the group of thieves who run these scams. I'd stay clear if I were you.

templeton finance .....

CCat
Hope you haven't sent them any money. Not heard of them but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. No matter what the deal is, don't be tempted.

hi droyston,
thanks for the note. no haven't sent them any money. i have to admit i was tempted.
but when i saw that the money would be forwarded to a bank in central america and the final recipient was NOT templeton finance i got veeery suspicious.
when he called today i confronted him all the things i didn't like when doing my homework he said he would call back later. yeah right ... haven't heard from him anymore.
as i am no canadian citizen and didn't lose any money it probably makes no sense to inform the authorities.

Hi,
newbie here,

Cheers,

Alec

Smudgey
Don't know the Roth Institute but know Linsure very well. No chance of a float whatever the state of the economy. If you think otherwise, I suggest you ask them for more information about their property venture in Croatia and for some information about their activity in Litigation Insurance. Their $7 million 'asset' was being quoted years ago. I'm not sure which Croatia their property is in but I don't think it's the one in Europe. Hope you've not lost too much. Your later posting is suggests someone is targetting you. If you've invested once, your name will by now be all around the group of thieves who run these scams. I'd stay clear if I were you.

Hi,
newbie here,

Cheers,

Alec

Smudgey

templeton finance .....

CCat

hi droyston,
thanks for the note. no haven't sent them any money. i have to admit i was tempted.
but when i saw that the money would be forwarded to a bank in central america and the final recipient was NOT templeton finance i got veeery suspicious.
when he called today i confronted him all the things i didn't like when doing my homework he said he would call back later. yeah right ... haven't heard from him anymore.
as i am no canadian citizen and didn't lose any money it probably makes no sense to inform the authorities.

Yes, one way to spot a boiler room is if they get you to pay money to an account which doesn't bear the firm's name with the account usually located in some ****ty country.

Pay money to one of those accounts and you won't see it or any return on your 'investment'.

Cheers Droyston, (and Looker1).
Since posting it seems The Roth Institute have shut down. There web-site is still there, but none of the telephone numbers or e-mail address function. The dealer I spoke with, one Mike Carter, a very well spoken bloke who seemed rerally genuine, has also closed down his 'Gmail' account. Hate to admit I got stung for pot loads in Linsure.

Haven't been able to get a response from World wide research group either as yet.
Anyone know anything about Neupara? WWRG tried to hit me with the double whammy, sending more money to buy extra shares ata preferential rate just prior to float. That was several weeks ago, and thankfully I resisted.

Cheers Guys,

smudger.

Frazer White Group

Hi smudgey,

Hi Looker1
Read your reply so thought I'd check if you know of Frazer White Group. fwgma.com. Another cold call - new one to me. Looked at their website. Doesn't tell me much.

I now find worldwide research group have also shut down, no doubt re-inventing themselves under a new name. Also Neupara seem to have gone tits up - no response from any e-mail address on their web-sites, and their tel numbers are no longer accepting calls.
Sites associated with this scam were
WorldWideResearchGroup dealer by the name of Dan White (American)
Neupara Phone number on one piece of correspondance from Neupara is now answered (by machine) in the name of i-wireless. Same industry, different name.
ring any bells out there?

cheers,

Smudger

The web-sites I listed above should of course be www. and com afterwards, but it doesn't seem to let me post that.

Cheers.

great thread, keep posting everyone.

We know it's a great thread and it only gets better as people continue to add VALUE to it, not post links with the sole aim of getting an affiliate link in :)

So how about adding something useful next time?

By the way, I've noticed a real trend among the scammers to use accounts in really weird places like Panama, Seychelles, Indonesia and Cyprus

Seems like (I hope anyway) that something is being done about the cess pit that is Hong Kong banking where any scammer could easily open an account with HSBC or Bank of China etc.

So two very good rules of thumb to stop anyone being scammed -

1) NEVER pay money to a broker that used a different name to pay money into. For example, if 'Morgan Goldberg' calls you saying that you can make easy money buying Oil/Crude/Wheat/Euro options etc but then asks for the money to be paid to 'ABC Ventures Ltd' 99.99% of the time your money will be stolen from you.

2) If 'Morgan Goldberg' calls you from 'Zurich' or 'Hong Kong' but asks you to pay money to a different named account in Cyprus for example then 99.9999% your money will be stolen from you.

Stay safe everyone and use your common sense.