Boiler Room Scams

Phoned me too, very persistant. Cannot be sure but there is a very good chance this is a new name for an old boiler room Hartford Management Group based in Barcelona. Similar tactics and sales speel.
If it is them then they are in Barcelona and have never been near Dubai. If its not them I would hazard a guess that they are equally dodgy!!

Reading a great book at the moment called:

The City Share Pushers,
a dossier of coericion,insider dealing, sex,drugs and malpractice in and around the City.
Before and just after "Big Bang"

By Alexander Davidson,
1st Published 1989

It would seem that almost 20 years on not much has changed.

Aston 1st...Ferrari 2nd...It's nice to see someone has their priorities in order!

Book sounds good. These guys are characters and certainly entertaining, I mean nobody watches a TV show about a good builder doing a good job, they'd much rather watch a cowboy botching a boiler change, it's just more entertaining. Which is why I imagine the book your currently reading is interesting. One thing to remember is that yes a large number of stock spanks were set up on the back of the tech boom, but that was a while ago and they're still spanking people everyday. What I really love about these guys is that they have the cheek to call themselves brokers, quite funny though, some of them actually think that that is what a broker does....

Tell me, do all if not a majority of the firms mentioned have very well-to-do company names?
This is standard.

These guys are punting such ****e, I'd say anyone that invest with them is a total retard, but having said that I have experienced the hard sale tactics they employ and it really is nasty case of bullying in some instances. I now have the phone set up so I don't receive any unsolicited calls from certain areas, but prior to that I was hounded by spanksters, I used to let them talk for ages and then I would rip them to shreds, then I would tell them a little about me and what I do, they soon realise I won't buy, because they know that I know that they are a total idiot and they are trying to punt ****e to someone who'll just laugh it off.

They work like so:
1st call= Introduction to them and their posh sounding spank-op, they are so busy, but they'll send the brochure to you, somehow those ***** have your address.
2nd call= Trying to warm up the potential victim, they'll try not to let you speak at all, they'll send you an email or post information about the actual stock in question, beware of the private equity rabbit especially.
3rd= 'THE SMASH' They have it in their minds that you are a weak little bitch at the end of the phone who's going to pay their rent this month, they don't give a ****, but at this point they are sure, totally positive that you'll buy. This is when you 'DROP THEM'.....

Rip into them ruthlessly, none of them know a bloody thing about finance or economics, but they'll use sales tactics to get around that. Just kill them! If that fails make it really clear that you are talking to the DTI and that their name has been mentioned, they'll ****-it big time.

After all they are only spank-artists......not human beings!

I got some interesting Info on the sites used by the Cambridge Capital Crowd

www.cambridgecapitatyrading.com
Cambridge Capital website is shutdown News Now Back Up
Webserver is mis configured if you hit the IP address
looks like it was hosted in Malaysia
tiger1.sshtunnelhost.com [203.121.69.241]

www.uaecfb.com
is hosted in Malaysia
Routed Via Japan and The USA
server1.efaizent.net [72.249.45.62]
efaizent.net is a domain hosting outfit out of Malaysia.
Server could be in The States

www.dubaiex.com
Routed via the same places looks like it is hosted (possibly on a hacked server in the states)
ns5.xoservers.com [67.15.206.9]
Belongs to a Domain Hosting and IT Consulting.
Got Shutdown now moved to Malaysia.
Server Update
Noiw it is hosted with the same mob that hosts the cambridge capital website.

I probably should have done these checks earlier but it only just dawned on me to look up their site addresses.

Sadly Darby I think your hard earned cash has gone south. I am truly sorry for your loss. Better Luck next time. And let me thank Trade2Win for this forum. It saved my bacon on this occasion. Also thaks to the Person who strted the CambridgeCapitalTrading postings. I think You guys have saved a few people a lot of bucks evn if it was not everyone at least it was a few.

darby.thomson said:
Thank you Arbitragear for introducing yourself. I am not crying into my pillow, I just want to get even. How do we put these people out of business?

Last edited:
hasse said:
These guys are punting such ****e, I'd say anyone that invest with them is a total retard, but having said that I have experienced the hard sale tactics they employ and it really is nasty case of bullying in some instances.

yep - was a 3-4 call process where I worked (where I worked briefly that is - since I resigned in disgust) - except for one guy who was a complete natural and would pitch people on the first call

First call was often a follow up to a free stock report they'd requested or could be almost completely cold - or sometimes could be to a lead who'd been called by about half the office already.

Basically the first call would go through the stock report - have a brief chat with them - find out a bit about them - get in a few power punches and yes tags & drop a few anchors about AIM but don't tell them you're a small cap broker at this point - tell them you'll send them a brochure in the post - don't hesitate to call me etc..

Second call would be a follow up - to confirm they had got your brochure - if you'd noted down some of their blue chip holdings in the first call you'd give them some news about them (normally pulled straight from cityAM!!!) + give them a brief market update (courtesy of the yahoo finance page!) + you'd try to find out a bit more about their portfolio, what they do for a living, income etc.. - not in a pressurized way - just dropped in naturally in conversation. - You'd also start to gear them up towards spanking them - ask them what their best performing stock was then say "well knowing what you know now would you have invested in XYZ when it was a small cap - course you would you'd have made a killing" (you also ask them what their worst performing stocks are - which comes in useful later) - tell them they might need to take a look at some good capital growth opportunities in the near future to really make their portfolio perform

First and second call you'd get some initial objections - and so you need to come up with a variety of canned responses

examples

objection "I've already got an accountant/financial advisory"

answer - "thats great, I've got two - thing is they sell me packaged products & give me tax advice - they know nothing about equities"

objection "I've already got a broker/ I want to run this past my broker - see what he thinks"

answer - "Would you tell your wife you're going to see your mistress, No! - course you wouldn't - plenty of people have other brokers - the brokers don't need to know that..". "your broker hasn't been performing for you etc..etc.." "I just want to look at 10% of your portfolio to give you some capital growth opportunities etc.. etc.."

objection "I've been burned before, Reg S stock etc."

(there is a broker in London that was bad for spanking people with Reg S - so you can guarantee they were a former client with them)

answer "was that with XYZ.. oh thats terrible a few of my clients have had trouble with them, let me assure you we are FSA registered etc...etc.."

you may need to do a third call with them to get them to properly open up & clear their objections

Basically you get plenty of info about them and gear them up a bit - "Jon I've got to go now, terriblly busy etc..- just a thought my analysts were looking at something this week that we are going to put forward to some of our top clients - now I'm not sure if I'll be able to get you involved but I do like like you and think you're a guy I could do business with - there will be a limited allocation of the stock but if I can get you in on it I'll give you a call - you understand it does have to go to my existing clients first though - I'd need you to move quickly on this though so If I came to you next week would you be able to get (10k/20k etc..) to me"

objections - "not sure etc.." -

"well of course you're not sure I've not necessarily got anything for you - but you're a business man jon & if I can come up with a business opportunity for you and you like it.... and I like it... then you can move on it yeah!"

"want to run it past my wife"

"come on jon - do you phone your wife from work and ask her to help you make business decisions - course you don't - this is a business decision what do you want to involve your wife for?"

"no money"
(recall his worst performing stock)
"what about your XYZ stock - they're doing very badly now - I really wouldn't hold on to them etc..."

or

"your a business man jon - if you see a good idea that you know makes good business sense you'll find the money for it"

the next time you call them you give them a T-up - very quick call - no time for them to chat - make it sound like you're rushed/excited -

"great news jon - the analysts have looked at something and we're ready to move - I wouldn't normally do this as your not an existing client but I've managed to secure you an allocation on this provided we decide to move on it tomorrow - analysts are just crossing the t's dotting the i's as we speak - no time to talk - clients to phone - will call you tomorrow"

then the next day or 2 days later - "Ok jon this it.....(go through fantastic pitch the best company ever - looking for 300% return etc..etc.. blue chip contracts, have met the management etc.. going to be the next cairn energy etc.."

shouldn't get any objections at this stage if you do the first few calls properly - though the main problem is people agreeing on the deal then not sending the cheques in. The brokers that work at these places are complete oxygen thieves - most of them are from essex & half of them don't know any different - they actually think they're 'working in the city' as a 'stock broker' when they are basically doing a telemarketing/sales job - only selling equities as opposed to mobile phones/second hand cars etc...

If you want to really **** off/wind up the spank merchants then act as dumb as you can on the phone - pretend you're ultra wealthy & the stupidest investor ever - tell them you'll invest 100K just to try them out & make out that you've got millions in your portfolio - you could even try to blag a free lunch off them while they are trying to pitch you - then when they come to recco day & try to spank you just don't send the cheque in/or hang up on them - & when they phone back asking for it etc.. - laugh down the phone at them - they'll think they've bagged an elephant - everyone in the office will think they're a hero for about a day or so till they realize you've been winding them up - you will get to waste a load of their call time but building them up and making them think they've bagged their biggest client then knocking them back down again. Laughing at them after a blow to their ego like that will probably depress them for about a week and lower their enthusiasm when they're speaking to other clients. A lot of the people in these places are under constant pressure to perform by senior brokers/managers etc.. many of them will be on the edge of quitting - something like that could actually be the last straw for a few of the weaker ones.

thaji78 said:
Hi Bob,

I just checked out uaecfb.com and dubaiex.com :

1. being skeptical of anyone who cold calls you is the right thing to do from my experience.

2. I was going through their websites and what they were saying seemed kind of convincing except that I live in Dubai and I follow all local business news and I never heard of these two entities!

3. I switched to the Arabic version of the UAECFB.com website --> http://www.uaecfb.com/legal2/

and all it gave me was a very poor translation of a legal english document. Usually, the Arabic version of a legitamate UAE website is as good or better than the English version, not just a single page of rubbish. Seems like they used a primitive translation tool to make it look authentic for the Non-Arab speakers.

4. The "contact us" page has no landline number or physical address of these two entities.

My verdict: Keep clear of these two companies for now.

Regards,
Tareq

well i got this from the web sit in english. what do you think

Dubai
Al Attar Business Tower,
30th Floor Sheikh Zayed Road,
Dubai United Arab Emirates

Phone : +97 143696554
Fax : +97-143696548

Hi Tareq,

Hi Tareq,
Canbridge Capital Trading and Dubai Options Exchange.

Since you live in Dubai,
Are these two companies listed in a local phone book?
Do you know if the addresses actually exist or if the companies are at the address nominated.

I've been phoned 4 times and have replied that I would never get involved with a company unless I knew for sure they were bona fide.
I said I would contact FSA since they were also in UK. The woman said she was happy for me to do that and would get back to me.
Your thoughts please.

Kev

thaji78 said:
Hi Bob,

1. being skeptical of anyone who cold calls you is the right thing to do from my experience.

2. I was going through their websites and what they were saying seemed kind of convincing except that I live in Dubai and I follow all local business news and I never heard of these two entities!

3. I switched to the Arabic version of the UAECFB.com website --> http://www.uaecfb.com/legal2/

and all it gave me was a very poor translation of a legal english document. Usually, the Arabic version of a legitamate UAE website is as good or better than the English version, not just a single page of rubbish. Seems like they used a primitive translation tool to make it look authentic for the Non-Arab speakers.

4. The "contact us" page has no landline number or physical address of these two entities.

Regards,
Tareq

Hi Tareq,

Hi Tareq,

Since you live in Dubai,
Do you know if the addresses actually exist or if the companies are at the address nominated.

I've been phoned 4 times and have replied that I would never get involved with a company unless I knew for sure they were bona fide.
I said I would contact FSA since they were also in UK. The woman said she was happy for me to do that and would get back to me.
Your thoughts please.

Kev

thaji78 said:
Hi Bob,

Regards,
Tareq

Kevandkim said:
Hi Tareq,

Since you live in Dubai,

Your thoughts please.

Kev
Have you got names of any of the people phoning you, are any of them Yanks?

If you look at previous posts I think it has been established that they are not at the addresses they claim to be...
I lost money last year to Hartford Management Group ($10,000) and they operated in exactly the same way. Tried to get me to invest more with a big city trader just flown in..a Yank guy,(wish I could remember his name) but the other guy was Ray Melizzero.

bigbobby

There was a woman who called herself Glen Lynch and she said that a Mark Henry would ring me to assist.
She said she was from Dubai but she definitely was not from the states.
Kev

bigbobby said:
Have you got names of any of the people phoning you, are any of them Yanks?

If you look at previous posts I think it has been established that they are not at the addresses they claim to be...
I lost money last year to Hartford Management Group ($10,000) and they operated in exactly the same way. Tried to get me to invest more with a big city trader just flown in..a Yank guy,(wish I could remember his name) but the other guy was Ray Melizzero.

May I issue a warning now. I invested in a company called 'first commodities ltd' and it now seems I have been the victim of a boiler room scam - it has cost me £1700 and I nearly invested more. These guys now have disappeared! their office was in Woolwich - London but the company is registered in the british virgin islands.This company was formerely known as 'Quest commodities'( I have seen this company in another post on this board). What can I do?Is there any way I can get my money back?

Kevandkim said:
Hi Tareq,

Since you live in Dubai,

Your thoughts please.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Ok, I just got off the phone with my brother who actually lives in the address provided earlier by Smurta, but on a different floor! He told me the building is mostly residential and there are NO offices on the 30th floor except for two which are still not open and are currently undergoing renovation. One is a Korean trading firm and the other has no signs yet.

I tried the number also provided by Smurta, but as another contributor stated, I only got a voice-mail instantly which is quite odd.

I couldn't find them in the UAE yellow pages:
http://www.yellowpages.ae/uae/

Again, I never heard of them in Dubai even though I follow most, if not all, business news.

Enough said.

Regards,
Tareq

Thanks Tareq,

I appreciate your help.

Kev

thaji78 said:
Hi Kev,

Ok, I just got off the phone with my brother who actually lives in the address provided earlier by Smurta, but on a different floor! He told me the building is mostly residential and there are NO offices on the 30th floor except for two which are still not open and are currently undergoing renovation. One is a Korean trading firm and the other has no signs yet.

I tried the number also provided by Smurta, but as another contributor stated, I only got a voice-mail instantly which is quite odd.

I couldn't find them in the UAE yellow pages:
http://www.yellowpages.ae/uae/

Again, I never heard of them in Dubai even though I follow most, if not all, business news.

Enough said.

Regards,
Tareq

Hi, Just want to share with you guys.

I've been called by Cambridge Capital Trading for the last few days. The guy who first called me was Justin Perry. He presuaded me to buy the US/AUD Option, because it's the "best" time to enter into the market. I made an account with them after he persuaded me many times and decided to give it a try by putting 3 options ( US$3000 ). I made a transfer application with my Bank to AI Global Resources, but to found out soon afterward that I was unable to login back to their account. Being sceptical about it, I instructed my bank to delay the transfer, luckily it's just about the time when my Bank about to transfer the money. I searched the web and found out about this forum. After reading this, I decided right away to cancel the transfer and make the bank aware about the scam ( because I had sent the proof of transfer to the England fax no ).
I'm very grateful that this forum gave me a second chance, otherwise I had lost my money to them.

Just for your information, they used this name to persuade me :
- Junior Broker : Justin Perry
- Senior Broker (multimillionaire ) : Robert Watermann
- Compliance officer from dubai ex : Bob Dugem

It's very strange for me to find out that actually cambridge capital know all my correspondence with the "Dubai Exchange", that's when my suspicion first took place.

Last edited:
Nothing much you can do. Report to the FSA and eventually they will issue a warning which generally comes out top on any search engine. Try putting what you know on Mottley Fools also, to warn as many people as possible.
Lucky escape for you.

ATS Specialists

anley said:
Sorry JR but the fact you've had to ask means that you've been scammed and your money is long gone. And if they or anyone else calls you up in the future offering some deal to get your money back you're being setup again.

Have worthless shares like JR and have just been approached by Globex International Group Inc, Singapore with a deal which requires more cash and quoted US shares in return.

Have you heard of them? I assume another boiler room outfit as I can't trace them and they don't appear in the Singapore phone directory.

Elsa said:
Have worthless shares like JR and have just been approached by Globex International Group Inc, Singapore with a deal which requires more cash and quoted US shares in return.

Have you heard of them? I assume another boiler room outfit as I can't trace them and they don't appear in the Singapore phone directory.

Sounds 100% a scam. I can't find their licence from the Monetary Authority of Singapore on the MAS website. Singapore companies are very rarely 'Inc' - sounds like it could be in the Phillippines. Save your money.

Hello everyone,
I also have been contacted by Cambridge Capital Trading, by a chap named Richard Green. He then had Bob Dougan contact me and assist with how to fund my account.
Imagine his surprise when I told him I havnt any money. He agreed to contact me next week,as did Richard Green. In the meantime I am trying to find out as much as I can about Cambridge Capital Trading and Dubai Options Exchange.
All input welcomed

Cambridge Capital trading

Hi,

Just wanna share a pitch by Cambridge Capital trading...called me a couple of times....a guy with Phinoy accent claimed that they are partners of Dubai Options Exchange...blah..blah & says that USD will weakens as they funded the Iraq war, thus many pple are parking their $$$ into safe currency like AUD...to cut the whole story short...just wanted to lead you to open an account, TT money to them.

While looking through the website..guided by them...i did a IP trace & realised that they are hosted from Malaysia...red flag...

I cut short the call, saying tat options are too risky...& i am chickened....LOL...

Beware...u have been warned..... :LOL: