Are Quants just a bunch of retards?

Are Quants just retards?

• yes

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • no

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
Dax: Care to mention said employer?

From this thread I'm getting the opinion that I've met different quants to all of you.

One more thing. As I happen to know some of them, even some cared trying to test their findings using me. Most of them don't realize, that markets are sometimes ILLIQUID and some of their cornerstones (i.e. retrace to the mean) are NOT VALID.

This thinking got us the credit mess. Anyway :) I pray that exchanges stay open, so I can keep earning money :D

Just one of the biggest banks in the world. Maybe you have been lucky ;)

Indeed, obviously the banks I've been at are doubly so.

I'll dip my hat and say I've been lucky, just don't tar em all with the same brush, it's not as if there aren't traders which are ********s out there!

Indeed, obviously the banks I've been at are doubly so.

I'll dip my hat and say I've been lucky, just don't tar em all with the same brush, it's not as if there aren't traders which are ********s out there!

Maybe you should update your profile mate :)

I read there 1-2 years experience ;)

So I unfortunately may have had more chances to meet good and bad ones :whistling

Please tell me, that you at least are 10 years "in the mill" (y)

Maybe you should update your profile mate :)

I read there 1-2 years experience ;)

So I unfortunately may have had more chances to meet good and bad ones :whistling

Please tell me, that you at least are 10 years "in the mill" (y)

Trading experience is 1-2 years, but met a couple score quants and traders (experience in trading world=/=experience trading), but fine, they are all retards.

Trading experience is 1-2 years, but met a couple score quants and traders (experience in trading world=/=experience trading), but fine, they are all retards.

You are right about the experience. No, not all :) If the ones you met were good, feel happy. I'm fine with it. Cheers Carlos

I read some time in a universe, that a lot of quants are autistic or have Aspergers syndrome.

I knew a man quite well a few years ago with Aspergers and he was extremely good at cryptic crosswords, chess and card games. He could finish most crosswords I stuck under his nose, before I had drank my brew and had a smoke, he pretty much filled them in as he read them. I never beat him at chess once.

When walking down the road, he would talk into his chest and wave his hands about.

I do think alot of people are in the wrong job. Like Mauzj, should definately have been a poll writer, I have no idea if he is a tard or not though.

I recently read this book, very good actually, free to a good home if anyone wants it and has a decent book they can swap for it (books about trading are probably not decent books).

Plenty of aspies in IT but I can't imagine there's that many who are quants, they'd get eaten alive most likely.

Quants don't trade, and they should not anyway.

One point you forgot is that most quant dind't care about the markets as you do. They just care about math, and the models they set up.

The pay as a quant is much more than at teaching the same old math course every year. This is the only reason you see them in this field.

When you mention quants having track records and making/loosing money, I'm not sure we are all talking about the same Quants.

Quants don't trade, and they should not anyway.

One point you forgot is that most quant dind't care about the markets as you do. They just care about math, and the models they set up.

The pay as a quant is much more than at teaching the same old math course every year. This is the only reason you see them in this field.

When you mention quants having track records and making/loosing money, I'm not sure we are all talking about the same Quants.

Wise MAN :)

doesn't Taleb have an interesting anecdote on Quants? Load of bank employees at a conference they all go out for dinner, quants get in a right mess trying to figure out who owes what when the bill arrives. The nerds couldn't do simple maths without getting all 'Fibonnaci' over it.

That one's almost as old as the one about the killer in the back seat.

I am a QUANT I do not consider myself a retard - No, not me not one bit.

My best mate Henry, he is also my teddy - he said I was a retard and it made me cry.

My Mum thinks I am a QUANT RETARD too, but what the hell does she know anyway?

I am a QUANT I do not consider myself a retard - No, not me not one bit.

My best mate Henry, he is also my teddy - he said I was a retard and it made me cry.

My Mum thinks I am a QUANT RETARD too, but what the hell does she know anyway?

My regards to your Mum :LOL:

Just a joke :)