Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

interesting one guys, dow about 140s lower than where it was yesterday when dax was here ! which one is wrong !

As for the huge swings on S?B companies they just do it to take out stops , criminal !

thanks for posting,

think ftse options expire between 10:am and 10:15am that may explain some of the volume

great, thanks for the reply .... that does indeed look like the likely explanation given uncrossing should start at 10:15 and today is expiration day!.... I have 2 books on my desk for the past 3 weeks : Options Made Easy and Options for the Beginner and Beyond.... time to start reading: at a minimum, need to enter expiration dates in my trading diary

much appreciate the steer, constantly learning and mostly improving at this game

Dax hourly just closed above my average, well above implies good strength here , first close above since before the fed.

great, thanks for the reply .... that does indeed look like the likely explanation given uncrossing should start at 10:15 and today is expiration day!.... I have 2 books on my desk for the past 3 weeks : Options Made Easy and Options for the Beginner and Beyond.... time to start reading: at a minimum, need to enter expiration dates in my trading diary

much appreciate the steer, constantly learning and mostly improving at this game

anytime, happy to help.

the options industry has some excellent free courses on their website

The Options Industry Council (OIC)

Avoid These Option Mistakes at All Costs - YouTube

Looks good, just watch out for the witch's

Attachments

• DOW.JPG
    DOW.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 106
Hey SD im thinking of buying some, dow surely its too low compared to other mkts hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ok lifted some 70's lets see

Talbs we have been here before ftse implies huge strength before dow shows its hand, traders short us indices need liquidity to cover, also we have had options expire which means they can rattle the market all over the place.

works on the bearish side also, great weakness in ftse worse than dow usually predicts a sharp dow sell-off,

ftse is much stronger than dow and sp500sept at 6230 (last) might just be triple/quad witching issues

Talbs we have been here before ftse implies huge strength before dow shows its hand, traders short us indices need liquidity to cover, also we have had options expire which means they can rattle the market all over the place.

works on the bearish side also, great weakness in ftse worse than dow usually predicts a sharp dow sell-off,

ftse is much stronger than dow and sp500sept at 6230 (last) might just be triple/quad witching issues

Yers normally this set up works well, lets hope so as ive manged to buy todays high pretty much :whistling

15028 is 50% retrace of the move from fED to yesterdays low so could cap gains if we get there.

Last edited:

Another thing to remember is if the market goes against you - just double down. But I guess you knew that one already. :LOL:

If we are all now Hagopian converts (and I have found the 'Holy C' as wernluck puts it. According to the Dow 1 minute chart we can expect a drop of at least 40 points below 14,828.

Please tell me if I have this wrong.

Attachments

• WSHog.png
    WSHog.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
I think we could see a nice up day for the dow, the reason: I think Bernanke's comments have been overblown by the market. He made it clear he would taper QE very slowly but they would review it and do whatever is necessary to keep stability. That basically means if the economy slips up they will turn the taps back on.

anytime, happy to help.

the options industry has some excellent free courses on their website

The Options Industry Council (OIC)

Avoid These Option Mistakes at All Costs - YouTube

again help much appreciated: will trawl their resources

I have had some pretty bad forum experiences in the past on other sites so tended to stay away form them (trolls and the emotionally damaged not to mention the intellectually challenged :D) my initial experiences with T2W are much more positive, seems to be used by folks who combine both competence and control..kind of CSFs in this business !

Another thing to remember is if the market goes against you - just double down. But I guess you knew that one already. :LOL:

indeed, nice nod to the alias.....my moniker is there as a prescient reminder of the folly of averaging down (unless yer Warren Buffet with pockets the size of Idaho)

I think we could see a nice up day for the dow, the reason: I think Bernanke's comments have been overblown by the market. He made it clear he would taper QE very slowly but they would review it and do whatever is necessary to keep stability. That basically means if the economy slips up they will turn the taps back on.

I have been mulling this over , while I am no advocate of inherent market efficiencies, I also find newsflow trading overblown by the media. Sure the bots are trained to scrape key web sites and news sources and buy/sell based on keywords. In this case, is the sell-off not partly a systemic reaction to implied interest rate increases (look at the yield changes on medium and long term paper). If a lot of this rally has been financed by cheap money then leveraged positions start to become expensive: better to exit quick, take profit and rebalance.
By extension, shouldn't this favour stocks on a longer term and therefore any intermediate sell-offs are buying opporunities as sellers are likely to be either forced weak hands, highly leveraged or profit takers

Macros are improving (slowly) and there are plenty of companies with solid fundamentals and strong balance sheets: I am honing my wishlist of names with good yields, strong EPS records and low borrowing