Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

how many on here think the markets are manipulated?

its a proven fact. there is a group called "the presidents working group on markets" might have might be called "the presidents working group on financial markets"

ZIRP, zero interest rate policy is manipulation.

Unfortunately not, I only intended to hold these positions for about an hour or so and figured I wouldn't need it :LOL:

What do you mean?

the saying goes "run your profits and cut your losses"

not "cut your profits and run your losses"

you're looking for 5280 to break even?

what was your plan and what was your stoploss level?

if you are miles past your stoploss level then you are just living in hope and relying on luck rather than your method. Anything could happen, but what is your method telling you atm. Try forgetting you have a losing trade overhanging and do a cold analysis of where we are atm in accordance with your method.

jon

5285-ish will break even. I've definitely let this position stay open longer then I normally would trying to avoid a small loss. It has worked against me (to put it mildly!)

Oh well, I've closed it now. If nothing else it's been a learning experience about how I'm doing this.

the saying goes "run your profits and cut your losses"

not "cut your profits and run your losses"

Ah I see, in that case I cut my losses :cheesy:

5285-ish will break even. I've definitely let this position stay open longer then I normally would trying to avoid a small loss. It has worked against me (to put it mildly!)

Oh well, I've closed it now. If nothing else it's been a learning experience about how I'm doing this.

Ah I see, in that case I cut my losses :cheesy:

e-dash

I'm sure this is not news to you, but THE most important thing is to control your losses - after all it's the only thing you do have control over.

Many's the time price will go back to where you wanted just at the point where you have taken a loss, but many's the time it will just keep on going and leave you thanking your lucky stars that you're rid of it.

If you find it difficult to take a loss then try a stop range - kill half when it goes into the range and the rest when (if) it goes through it.

sorry for the homily

jon

e-dash

I'm sure this is not news to you, but THE most important thing is to control your losses - after all it's the only thing you do have control over.

Many's the time price will go back to where you wanted just at the point where you have taken a loss, but many's the time it will just keep on going and leave you thanking your lucky stars that you're rid of it.

If you find it difficult to take a loss then try a stop range - kill half when it goes into the range and the rest when (if) it goes through it.

sorry for the homily

jon

You're right, it's a lesson I'm having to learn the hard way though :D I think a mixture of luck and naivety has kept me afloat so far, but it's clear that I've got a lot to learn.

You're right, it's a lesson I'm having to learn the hard way though :D I think a mixture of luck and naivety has kept me afloat so far, but it's clear that I've got a lot to learn.

!'m just making, now, 34 points on this run down. What I needn't have told you is that I lost nearly 20 points on two earlier trades trying to do what I tell all comers not to do---try to spot the top. It's a mug's game, although it looks so easy. It's ok for a punt ie. a few points with a stop, but don't make a profession out of it.

My advice is to get all the averages that you use into a turn and go with that. If you have not tried it, try it. Putting it another way. Never sell/buy when the averages are going up/down.

Guys honest opinion. Time to cut my loses? I highly doubt the FTSE will drop below 5300 today, let alone get within range of what I need to break even on this trade.

normally based on your time frame you should cut your losses...where you stop should be pre determined as part of the trade plan before you enter the trade

so you dont need to ask even yourself whether and where to exit

now for its worth if you are able to hold in to next week or so then in my humble and uneducated opinion the market will go much lower next two weeks and establish a new low ...it could be Dec lows on Dow and ES wiping out all gains so far this year.....and then will set a rally...

but it may go higher today / Tuesday...

so if it fits your timeframe and money management then you may hold on....this trade actually may turn profitable

but take a decision based on your situation, personality, probability, analysis etc.
I am not advising, suggesting or recommending any thing. Just putting my thoughts on one of the probabilities.

normally based on your time frame you should cut your losses...where you stop should be pre determined as part of the trade plan before you enter the trade

now for its worth if you are able to hold in to next week or so then in my humble and uneducated opinion the market will go much lower next two weeks and establish a new low ...it could be Dec lows on Dow and ES wiping out all gains so far this year.....and then will set a rally...

so if it fits your timeframe and money management then you may hold on....this trade actually may turn profitable

but take a decision based on your situation, personality, probability, analysis etc.
I am not advising, suggesting or recommending any thing. Just putting my thoughts on one of the probabilities.

nice to know your opinion samirs...

Samirs what sort of levels are you expecting for ftse100 ?

you really need to focus on money management....if you allow a position to run so much offside then your position size and comfort level should be wide enough.

if you randomly keep taking losses then will be easily chopped around and get in to a spiral before you know.

one answer is be patient and only take high probability trades.....focus on high quality trades

easier said than done