An interview with HowardCohodas

Question 2: How would you deal with the problem of oildaytrader?

This question is much tougher than the first one. My first question was easily constructed as chronological anecdotes. That was relatively easy compared to organizing this material.

I'm in this deep, so I'll give this one a go as well.

HowardCohodas said:
Prologue
I find it important to maintain a functional family environment in a forum. Even though this is a family by voluntary association (unlike one's birth family), it is a family none the less. Every family has a culture. That culture can sometimes become toxic because of a few disruptive members. The association continues as long as the benefits outweigh the costs. Personally, I remain here on that basis. Not dealing with the disruptive members, however, risks family disintegration.

Treating people fairly is frequently implemented by treating everyone identically. This is harmful, not the least because it dehumanizes everyone. Weak managers tend to like it because it requires less thinking. And our legal systems punishes those that do not follow it. I resent this approach deeply. Everyone wants to be treated as an individual; appreciated for their talents and tolerated for their foibles. This is true of a family by birth and a family of voluntary association. The disruptive must be dealt with or it harms the family. Doing so in an individualized manner, with care, compassion and civility is my goal. I remain a work in progress here.

In a forum that is sponsor supported, whether provided for the owner's profit or as a break-even service, there is a certain responsibility incumbent on the managers to deal with members that risk its survival. Passing judgement on others and firing someone are the two aspects of life that cause me the most discomfort. Having to fire someone has caused me many sleepless nights before and after the fact. Before resorting to firing someone, I try to make them productive, less disruptive and more team orientated. Many times it has cost me considerable money not only because of lack of productivity, but because of the disruptive impact on the other members of the staff. I have been able to counsel some into becoming productive and a team player. With most I have failed. I still try, because that is my nature.

To the question
Adding some humor to the dialogs is mostly a harmless thing and adds color to discussions that are sometimes gray by their nature. The right level of off-topic posts in a thread is hard to determine. Most of us know it when they see it. Zero tolerance is harmful to the enjoyment of life and has caused many a tragedy when implemented in the public arena.

I'm of a generation that finds discomfort in vulgarity and sexually explicit humor in mixed company. The younger generation seems more tolerant of these things. Were I in charge, I would tolerate much less of it than is displayed in our forum.

I will punt on passing judgement on a particular individual. Were I to have the responsibility of creating the environment for a productive and useful forum, I would not be able to punt. I hope I would do it well.

I can't wait to see more of this fascinating Q&A that offers insight into the "lovely dark squidgy fibourous [sic]" mind of HC.

As to ODT, if I may be forgiven by the two original participants (arab & HC), as well as by Cato the Elder... Ceterum censeo ODT delenda est :).

Odt, ωστόσο, πιστεύω ότι πρέπει να καταστραφούν

i like howard, he's done nothing wrong against forum rules as yet.

Well apart from the excessively long signature, and the links in his signature, and the 1001 other infractions I cant be arsed to mention.

:LOL:

I know you need vendors to generate lulz but please... dont insult our intelligence.

Well apart from the excessively long signature, and the links in his signature, and the 1001 other infractions I cant be arsed to mention.

:LOL:

I know you need vendors to generate lulz but please... dont insult our intelligence.

the links are all t2w, that's ok. it's not classed as "pimping" anything (yet!)

howard reduced the size of the sig when asked previously to do so. it's now ok, and around forum average for the fuller sig :)

the links are all t2w, that's ok. it's not classed as "pimping" anything (yet!)

howard reduced the size of the sig when asked previously to do so. it's now ok, and around forum average for the fuller sig :)

Ummm....

Just out of interest, could you point me to an example of someone with a longer sig ?

As the majority of the thousands of members have a sig of of zero length, there must be sigs of gigantic proportion if howards is classed as average :LOL: On reflection, some of those sigs must be the length of Tolstoy's war and peace !

IIRC an ex member who used to post in purple had a sig that took less lines than howards, but the sig was deleted as it was deemed excessive under the rules at the time. Presumably a more lenient regime is now in existance.

Ummm....

Just out of interest, could you point me to an example of someone with a longer sig ?

As the majority of the thousands of members have a sig of of zero length, there must be sigs of gigantic proportion if howards is classed as average :LOL: On reflection, some of those sigs must be the length of Tolstoy's war and peace !

IIRC an ex member who used to post in purple had a sig that took less lines than howards, but the sig was deleted as it was deemed excessive under the rules at the time. Presumably a more lenient regime is now in existance.

sigs are not searchable, so not at this moment can i provide a link to a longer one, but they are there. i will look later.

oh come on, socco's was far longer. if i recall correctly soc refused to edit it down, so had it done for him. while on the other hand howard edited his in half when requested to do so, without issue! :D

there could be a record of the old sig somewhere. if so, i'll post and we'll compare ;)

I don't like Howard Cohones. Not one bit.

You biatchez bin warned.

Cohones, attend to yo bidness. It strizzle, but don't be frontin' wit me, you ain't no trader G. You a punk.

Fool see me comin, fool betta step off wit a quickness, lest ah flex mah pimp hand up on yo punk a$$.

Word is bond.

Where's the rest of the A team?

Howard seems like a nice enough guy, but i can't read his posts because he makes it too much of a chore to read and is full of endless waffle.

Where's the rest of the A team?

Howard seems like a nice enough guy, but i can't read his posts because he makes it too much of a chore to read and is full of endless waffle.

I'll be straight with you. I am not who I appear to be.

I am actually Howard's balls. Every now and then I knock him out and take over his account. The waffle and verbosity are my fault. Do not blame Howard for the actions of his errant scrotal clangers.

I'll be straight with you. I am not who I appear to be.

I am actually Howard's balls. Every now and then I knock him out and take over his account. The waffle and verbosity are my fault. Do not blame Howard for the actions of his errant scrotal clangers.

He must have Scrot Rot.