93% never post on this site

Based on what? Did you or do you know any of them personally or know anyone who does? Genuine question - not a barb.

Is that what you would do if you blew up?

I know of (not know personally) a couple who blew up, but certainly not the majority. I'm just guessing - it was an entirely different environment back them where anyone who didn't over leverage could make money through luck rather than skill...

If I blew up I'd probably slink off with my tail between my legs, but I'm not sure :)

As a newbie myself who finds information gleaned from this site to be invaluable in the path to (hopefully) consistency, could I suggest that, as an alternative to the 'rep' system, there were more 'T2W Advisors' as I think this 'badge' offers a certain degree of confidence in the what the poster is saying. I'm not sure how it could be achieved without probably upsetting a few egos but might work better than the current system. I'm lucky because I am learning to trade 24-5 which means I have enough time to trawl through and work out who is who in terms of advice I accept - for those who are learning but still holding down a job it can't be as easy....

I know of (not know personally) a couple who blew up, but certainly not the majority. I'm just guessing - it was an entirely different environment back them where anyone who didn't over leverage could make money through luck rather than skill...
Entirely different environment? It's only 6 years we're talking about...

If I blew up I'd probably slink off with my tail between my legs, but I'm not sure :)
I'd be surprised.

As a newbie myself who finds information gleaned from this site to be invaluable in the path to (hopefully) consistency, could I suggest that, as an alternative to the 'rep' system, there were more 'T2W Advisors' .
What, like Wasp you mean? LOL

LOL - but some his threads have done a huge amount for my understanding of trading....
Don't get me wrong, I’m one of the most deeply flawed individuals you could ever hope to meet (or to avoid), so I speak from personal experience. While the self-destructive personality can be fun to observe from a distance, they rarely just take themselves down.

He ended up adding to the problem, not solving it.

I'd be surprised.

If I blow up that's my job gone and, under almost all circumstances, any credibility as a trader lost too as under most conceivable situations it would be entirely my fault... basically the only way it wouldn't be is if I had a large position and the exchange went at the same time as an incident.

I can't imagine bragging about it :LOL:

"93% never post on this site"
Bloody good job too when you consider that 99% of posts made by the 7% are total garbage. Just think what this place would be like if those figures were reversed and 93% actually posted! The mind boggles; this place would be the internet equivalent of the world's largest landfill site. No, thank god so few members do contribute - if 'contribute' is the right word. Personally, I'm all in favour of trying to reduce the percentage of members who post from 7% down to about 3%!!!
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
All very tongue in cheek, obviously. But, on a serious note, I do think the site was much better when it was about a fifth of its current size. Small is beautiful etc.
Tim.

If I blow up that's my job gone and, under almost all circumstances, any credibility as a trader lost too as under most conceivable situations it would be entirely my fault... basically the only way it wouldn't be is if I had a large position and the exchange went at the same time as an incident.

I can't imagine bragging about it :LOL:
Bragging about it no, but letting it take you out of the game for good?

I'm not sure I'd recommend blowing up as a key learning experience, but then neither would I necessarily suggest it wouldn't make you a lot better and certainly a lot smarter than before.

I think the ability to come back against the odds is only laudable if you have a choice in the matter, otherwise, it's hardly worth mentioning.

Bragging about it no, but letting it take you out of the game for good?

Again, unless it was genuine unavoidable bad luck like my exchange example I would have to assume that I was doing something completely wrong so at the very least would have to think about it; also re entering prop without any money if you have blown up is going to be extraordinarily difficult.

Some random spread betting account is a different matter of course.

it was an entirely different environment back them where anyone who didn't over leverage could make money through luck rather than skill...

This just isn't true in my view. In 2003 it was post dotcom boom and if anything it was no different making consistent profits then than it is now. It certainly was not the case that you could make consistent profits based on luck as opposed to skill but I am curious to know in what way you think it is different now to then ?

Paul

Just to add my thoughts on the rep system. Personaly I think overall it has many pluses but does need adjusting.So often newbies join and within 50 posts they have a rep collection like my grandads war medals.Maybe the monitors should be given more power in that area. i do look at peoples reps and it can be misleading.Its natural to assume someone with a good rep knows what hes talking about and that he is a live full time trader. Maybe a different type of star for someone who many feel can offer good advice and opinions. why not let senior members and moderators vote or agree on such people.