20 pips a day keeps stress away

Hi Ged,

I've been day trading Cable for some time. My trades are based on support, resistance, trend lines, Fibonacci levels, pivot points and I use moving averages and compare recent lows and highs to see if there is any trend. Also I know about few patterns and candle formations. Most of the time I use 15min and 1h charts.

All this analysis is interesting and profitable, but at the same time if I overdo it - it's stressful and tiring. That's why I looked at the system (to use it takes 10 minutes without any extensive analysis) and its recent success rate. It doesn't look promising.

At the moment I don't use any other system. I used Claudia's system last year. That was easy money, but after some time failed and that was it.

Still not giving up the search for a stress free profitable system.

PS It's good to be aware of fundamentals. Cable may continue sideways till the elections. May look at some other pairs - like Euro (it seems like there is no end to Euro's fall). Also I've been thinking of larger time frames - 1h, 4h and higher.

Hi Bedsit,

Are you trading futures or Spreadbetting.

Cheers

Ged

No worries and apologies if i offended - it was not the intention I assure u - made my point .....

Look forward to your journal !!!!!!!!

ps - Ged, as a note - I trade sniper as well as london open - both cable based

Which do you find best. The london open or the sniper.

I can guess the London open is a breakout strategy but whats the
sniper system based on.

Cheers

Ged

Hi,

I use both as I believe in diversification, eg if one performs bad then the other will kinda make up for it - hopefully. Sniper is based on one hour and to begin with you find yourself being around the screen quite a lot but after a bit, well, in my case I spend about 30 mins a day screen time. Their is a review of both of these systems at Systems For Traders - thats where I came across both of them.

Any q's just ask and I will try and help.

W

I haven't traded Cable for some time. Tried the system today - and easy +30.
Still some down potential - may go for one more short.

Hi bedsit.

Hope you are well - Which system London Forex Open or Sniper Forex ?

I had no signal on either of them and thats what they reported in the Trading rooms at www.systemsfortraders.com so I am a little confused on your trade today - especially as I missed out on 30 pips :(

W

Hi bedsit.

Hope you are well - Which system London Forex Open or Sniper Forex ?

W

Hi W

Thanx - I'm ok. Didn't trade Cable because of the elections. Just used simple break out of 12:00-14:15 range. I noticed a down trend and liked the set up (good not to follow it blindly). Afterwards I entered one more short (it was not difficult to see the price direction today). So far as other systems are concerned - I don't use them. I follow the price action - lower lows, lower highs etc.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't trade break today. IMO good to be selective, and todays range from 12:00 till 14:08 has been more than 90 pips. Although the trend is down it looks too extended to my liking.
Anyway good to do a bit of analysis and give it a miss if not happy about it.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't trade break today.

It was a good decision. Eventually broke down, but if I entered the trade I would have been stopped (unless I put more than 40 pips stop). One of those things.

IMO Good to follow your feelings. If not happy better to miss profit than to suffer a loss. About today's price action - I don't know. If I go for a mental stop, I may hope and let it run wild. Through my experience it's much better to have an idea where to put the stop and where is the potential target before entering a trade. Today I was not sure, so didn't trade that break.

Hi

I had a look at this today and put in a buy order at 14591 with 20 SL looking for 20 points. Now I am very new to this so was only on 50p per point.

After my order opened the market dropped to 14569 and then shot back up again and at the time of writing the market was at 14627 which would have been beyond my exit point.

This is the 2nd time today I have been caught by a couple of points of my SL and lost trades that then went on to win.

I only have a couple of hundred pounds in my bank and I know that my money management is wrong so maybe this is restricting where I put my SL.

What can I do in order to help myself? I don't think my bank is big enough to handle decent sized trades. Is leverage the way to go? Who should I use instead of IG? Are there other people who would let me use smaller than 50p per point stakes?

Cheers
Colin

Hi

I had a look at this today and put in a buy order at 14591 with 20 SL looking for 20 points. Now I am very new to this so was only on 50p per point.

After my order opened the market dropped to 14569 and then shot back up again and at the time of writing the market was at 14627 which would have been beyond my exit point.

This is the 2nd time today I have been caught by a couple of points of my SL and lost trades that then went on to win.

I only have a couple of hundred pounds in my bank and I know that my money management is wrong so maybe this is restricting where I put my SL.

What can I do in order to help myself? I don't think my bank is big enough to handle decent sized trades. Is leverage the way to go? Who should I use instead of IG? Are there other people who would let me use smaller than 50p per point stakes?

Cheers
Colin

Try Alpari uk
You can trade 10p a point with them. good for trying out strategies

Thanks... I will do just that

I normally trade sport and stick rigidly to my %age risks. I have not been doing that in forex because of the minimums imposed and me being poor :)

Today - difficult day (Friday). Again I wouldn't go for this break (there are US reports at 14:55 and 15:00. May have a look at it after 15:00

Thanks... I will do just that

I normally trade sport and stick rigidly to my %age risks. I have not been doing that in forex because of the minimums imposed and me being poor :)

Hi Purepest.
Try with smallest possible amounts - like 10p per pip. That way biggest loss (if there is no slippage) could be £5 if you put a 50 pip stop (for GBPUSD anything less than 20 pips is bound to be stopped more often than not even if you are right eventually). After winning consistently for at least 3 months go for higher stakes.

PS There are some companies that offer that sort of sizes for new traders (only at the beginning, afterwards minimum stake changes to usually £1 per pip)

I had a problem with my non trading laptop (I use for t2w) - hence late reply.
I was not sure which way is going to break, so I avoided trading (it was an up trend but the range was too big - round 90pips). Anyway the system was ok with the break up today and so far could have been at least 35 pips.

Where would you put your SL normally?

I didn't trade it but I thought the system was to place a buy order at the top+1 and a sell order at the bottom-1. I haven't read all the thread so may have missed some tweaks.

I usually put 20 pips stop for this system only ( 20 pip stop is quite a small stop for GBPUSD). The idea behind it is if it breaks out of the range shouldn't pull back too much (otherwise it's a false break). At the same time I put 20 pips target (or if there is near by some round number like 14500 I'll go for it, or if it's a strong momentum I'd try to use it as long as pos)
TBH I haven't used it too much lately. Some time ago was much better success rate. Anyway that's the case with more or less all the systems. Sometimes they are OK, sometims they fail miserably. Depends on market behaviour (trading, ranging, choppy etc.)

That's why I think you shouldn't follow any system blindly. It's always good to assess the current market conditions and see if you can apply it.

Price action is extremely choppy and range from 12:00 so far has been almost 90 pips. I'll give it a miss.

PS Missed profit there - doesn't matter. I didn't like the price action.

Last edited: