Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

This is a discussion on Just HOW do you make money in the markets? within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by oildaytrader The comment should have been "unless you have a method/system , proven and tested on real ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:15pm   #61
Joined Nov 2009
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildaytrader View Post
The comment should have been "unless you have a method/system , proven and tested on real accounts OVER MANY YEARS ON MANY INSTRUMENTS , a method with a far superior edge"

O D T
One question though.. if you have a proven system tested over years etc why would you need to borrow money ?.. Sure borrowing £10k on your credit card to get started is one thing..but that should really be it.. wouldnt leverage up my house or anything like that.. the mrs would probably kill me..i mean really murder me!
dealer911 is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:23pm   #62
 
temporarilylight's Avatar
Joined Jun 2002
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

and if the market is always changing, wouldn't it be way too risky to really leverage up anyway?? What if today is the day that the market 'changes' and your system that he been great for the last 4 months is now useless and your trading it with highe size?
temporarilylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:26pm   #63
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer911 View Post
One question though.. if you have a proven system tested over years etc why would you need to borrow money ?.. Sure borrowing £10k on your credit card to get started is one thing..but that should really be it.. wouldnt leverage up my house or anything like that.. the mrs would probably kill me..i mean really murder me!
If you have 10 k to trade with a system making 60% a year,you have annual income potential of 6k.

In addition there 800k of equity sitting on the shelter,50k available on Overdraft, 50k available on credit cards, 100 k on wife's jewellery.
Just remortgage and get 300k and start earning 180 k instead of a miserable 6k.
Compound it daily and increase earnings to 1m yearly and repay the 300k over 2 years, and buy the wife rolexes and cartiers and a chelsea flat.
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:28pm   #64
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarilylight View Post
and if the market is always changing, wouldn't it be way too risky to really leverage up anyway?? What if today is the day that the market 'changes' and your system that he been great for the last 4 months is now useless and your trading it with highe size?
I only use dynamic systems to cater for changing market conditions.
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:38pm   #65
Joined Nov 2009
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildaytrader View Post
If you have 10 k to trade with a system making 60% a year,you have annual income potential of 6k.

In addition there 800k of equity sitting on the shelter,50k available on Overdraft, 50k available on credit cards, 100 k on wife's jewellery.
Just remortgage and get 300k and start earning 180 k instead of a miserable 6k.
Compound it daily and increase earnings to 1m yearly and repay the 300k over 2 years, and buy the wife rolexes and cartiers and a chelsea flat.
If you borrow £10 - leverage it 10x you have £100 k to play with- if your sytem returns 60% you make £60k... unless you mean you have a system that generates 6% and the rest is pure leverage.. either way i know that if my house and whole net worth was at risk in my trading account it would cause me some proper stress!..doesnt mean I am right just means my risk tolorence is far lower than ODT's and my wife will have to wait for the rolex.
dealer911 is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:45pm   #66
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer911 View Post
If you borrow £10 - leverage it 10x you have £100 k to play with- if your sytem returns 60% you make £60k... unless you mean you have a system that generates 6% and the rest is pure leverage..
you will find it impossible to get 60% without leverage.All calculations are after leverage.

Higher reward = higher risk, 6 % =600 pips a year on sound money management,6000 pip on 10 k with 10* leverage is great on good money management.
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:55pm   #67
Joined Oct 2009
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Forget trading, the easiest way to get a small fortune is to own an airline.



Start off with a large fortune, then buy an airline.
thos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:51pm   #68
 
9 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

....or along the same lines, the easiest way to make a million from the markets is to start with two million.

However, there certainly are plenty making consistent money & making a living from the markets.

But, some one who's spent thousands of hours and dollars, putting in the required effort to develop a working system and can now reap the benefits from the system, why would that person now splash the system on the www for every body to see for free? One would have to be mad. Different if it were a face to face master/apprentice relationship, but on the web for the world to steal, no way.

So some one's focusing on making a living from a system that was costly to develop, and some one else wants to have a look not only at the system but also at confidential account statements! The very same statements declared for income tax purposes and all!

May as well ask for the keys to the house while you're at it.

Please note that this post is not aimed at anyone. Learing to trade is not easy, not quick, not cheap and takes alot of pain. Asking questions is fine, but the hard work is not dispensible.

CR
chart rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Mr. Charts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:15pm   #69
Joined Jan 2009
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Hmmm. Richard Dennis proved to a limited extent that trading can be taught. His 'Turtles' made money from following his rule based system, with no intuition or smarts required.
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:27pm   #70
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
My estimate is that there is are 4 people on this site that are actually making money from trading.

Therefore - asking that question on this site will not get you the answer you need.

In fact, I'd say that leaving the internet well alone may be the best thing you can do in your search, either that or stop trying.

Good points.

Who in your opinion is actually make money solely from trading?How can you tell who is and isn't making money from trading?What about the 200,000 mermaids on this forum?
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:44pm   #71
Joined Aug 2003
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
My estimate is that there is are 4 people on this site that are actually making money from trading.

Therefore - asking that question on this site will not get you the answer you need.

In fact, I'd say that leaving the internet well alone may be the best thing you can do in your search, either that or stop trying.
Obviously this chap above speaks from personal experience a losing one.
birds of a feather flock together.
I know a lot of traders who frequent this site and are successful.
gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:30pm   #72
 
zupcon's Avatar
Joined Nov 2004
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma View Post
Obviously this chap above speaks from personal experience a losing one. birds of a feather flock together.
I know a lot of traders who frequent this site and are successful.
There are probably at least 5 or 6 decent contributors out of the 185,000 registered members.

Lets say I'm wrong by a factor of 1000 and there actually 5000 profitable traders out of the 185,000 registered members, you have to admit thats still a pretty small minority. So even assuming I'm a factor of 1000 out (and we ALL know that I'm not), the majority of advice handed out will be from losing traders. That should be a sobering thought for anyone deluded enough to believe they'll find anything of value on ANY trading forum.

The vast majority of members posting at T2W are completely clueless. The majority display the typical employee mentality of asking for step by step guidance. From my personal experience, I'm inclined to agree that trading forums do more harm than good.

Forum's are great for LULZ, but not much else
zupcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:53pm   #73
Joined Aug 2003
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupcon View Post
There are probably at least 5 or 6 decent contributors out of the 185,000 registered members.

Lets say I'm wrong by a factor of 1000 and there actually 5000 profitable traders out of the 185,000 registered members, you have to admit thats still a pretty small minority. So even assuming I'm a factor of 1000 out (and we ALL know that I'm not), the majority of advice handed out will be from losing traders. That should be a sobering thought for anyone deluded enough to believe they'll find anything of value on ANY trading forum.

The vast majority of members posting at T2W are completely clueless. The majority display the typical employee mentality of asking for step by step guidance. From my personal experience, I'm inclined to agree that trading forums do more harm than good.

Forum's are great for LULZ, but not much else

Do you consider yourself a decent contributor with your 1100 odd posts?
gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:08pm   #74
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupcon View Post

Forum's are great for LULZ, but not much else
There are some good knowledgeable people around, and there is bits of very useful information out there, though 99 % of the information my be useless, its the 1% that is priceless.You just gotta be good at finding it.

I know at least 4 posters who are profitable, but I only know only a very small percentage of members,maybe 2 % of the members.
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: gamma
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:12pm   #75
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma View Post
Do you consider yourself a decent contributor with your 1100 odd posts?
About a couple of years ago ,he was advising against automation on metrader 4 .I have fully automated on metatrader4 and am happy.Its not the best but it is LIVEABLE with
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Thread: How To Make Money Trading The Markets. Mr. Charts Stocks 707 Apr 28, 2011 6:27pm
Make Pocket Money From the Markets? LostPigeonCoo General Trading Chat 36 Feb 23, 2010 3:54pm
Article: Why Canít Johnny and Jane Make Money in the Markets? T2W Bot Educational Resources 28 Nov 2, 2009 8:09am
How not to make money trading the markets Hotch Trading Journals 56 Oct 7, 2009 3:57pm
How do market makers make money in futures markets femi73 Futures & Options 4 May 14, 2007 12:25pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)