If you can make money why don't you....?

MP -- now, just how much is them pounds today ??

Hi Guys

A couple of quick questions for you if anyone can help.
I am just starting to look into part-time trading and will be reading everthing recommended on this site before I begin, however a couple of things immediately spring to mind.

Firstly, I presume many of you on this site make money by trading on various markets, so, if you can make say £2000 a year why can't you just increase your stakes and make £20k or £200k a year using the same methods?

as has been so nicely stated by so many, the economies of scale dont always work out mathematically, and successful winning bets of extravagant size oftimes gets ones brokers nose in a snit ! (nose in a snit -- interesting visual !)

having stated that, how much you bet would depend on brokers agreements as here in the states, at least, trading over $100K at a time requires previous agreement and contractual forms between the parties.
what i find easier is to "spread" the equity around a bit, and im not very good at watching more than two trades at once (one could say that im uber - concentrated and therefore have no ability to do a macro exam, while others might simply find me stupid and "multi - trade disabled" --- i leave that to the viewer for the opinion ) I therefore will have others doing differing trades.

famous (or infamous) for not using stop losses, to watch a minor error (such as i didnt get out of a trade before the normal reversal time) done with 40 lots or more would hasten my hearts ability to no longer pump blood to the many places that demand it in a days sitting, and that would irritate me tremendously, as i might then be in the unmarked grave next to you !

Secondly, everything I have read regarding "trading systems" for sale have advised me to stay away from them. They appear to be scams with the only person making any money being the person selling the system.
However I dont think this is neccesarily correct.
As I have said, I presume lots of people on this site are making money by trading.
These people must be following some system, whether it is one they have been taught or one they have developed for themselves. If they have a system that works surely they would be justified in selling their succesful way of making money and presumably this is what some of these expensive trading systems are doing?

there are probably more than a few decent systems out there, some free and some, in the TRUE spirit of capitalism, EXHORBITANT, although price usually means a nice interface, but not much improvement in its trading ability.

given the state of the art AT THIS TIME, most decent systems are varietals of each other, and while not necessarily "clones" do tend to do pretty much the same thing, up to the ability of the programmer or coder.

decent systems will return "decent" results decently !

I hope someone can answer these questions as I am seriously beggining to doubt whether a private trader can make money without inside information.

Thank you.

now i aint no vendor -- heck, aint no advisor or mod or even legendary (except in my own mind), but if you rush over to "trader_dante's" thread, start at the beginning and read HIS "system", youll find one of the safest and highest returning newbie systems available ----- id give you mine, but no one, including myself, has been able to figure out how it works !

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/26

enjoy and trade well

mp

My God! mp160 do u ever sleep as I understand you are based U.S and I see posts from you all through the night. whats the secret to staying up all night as I see I missed a couple of opportunities on the euro that came about night.

My God! mp160 do u ever sleep as I understand you are based U.S and I see posts from you all through the night. whats the secret to staying up all night as I see I missed a couple of opportunities on the euro that came about night.

I expect its those darn Mcgiver sisters keeping him up alll night! Whattsa guy to do ? The Euro can wait !!! Unless MP can multi task .. :)

Theres gold in them there hill's, but i'm buggered if I'm breaking my back !

Hi Guys

I am just starting to look into part-time trading and will be reading everthing recommended on this site before I begin, however a couple of things immediately spring to mind.

Firstly, I presume many of you on this site make money by trading on various markets, so, if you can make say £2000 a year why can't you just increase your stakes and make £20k or £200k a year using the same methods?

Secondly, everything I have read regarding "trading systems" for sale have advised me to stay away from them. They appear to be scams with the only person making any money being the person selling the system.
As I have said, I presume lots of people on this site are making money by trading.
These people must be following some system, whether it is one they have been taught or one they have developed for themselves. If they have a system that works surely they would be justified in selling their succesful way of making money and presumably this is what some of these expensive trading systems are doing?

I hope someone can answer these questions as I am seriously beggining to doubt whether a private trader can make money without inside information.

Thank you.

You want to back a better bet ?

The guys who always make money in goldmining are the ones who sell the picks & shovels.

This is whats desired

gold-bar-coins-etc.jpg

Sell these tools to them there fools ? Its an honest biz with no guarentees !

dv0784.JPG

This is what they typically end up like miners & traders alike !

2269952967_dd4fd17a9f.jpg

**** A special prize for the most original answer of "whats going through that traders/miners mind ?"

(Cue thick welsh accent)...

"I'll tell you what happened, right, I wrote summit on the bloody messageboard, see, and when i came back, like, it'd vanished I tell you boyo, vanished!... no reason like, i dunno what 'appened man! 'Ave you seen it man? It was like, oohhh, looked like words, right, but in a row"

"So you see, ever since I got this bloody hat stuck on my head I've been unable to get a haircut!"

Attachments

• miner.png
    miner.png
    420 KB · Views: 188
Hi Guys

Thank you.

The answer is simple. Those who know, make money trading. Those who don't know (but think they do) sell trading systems, indicators etc..They probably even trade the very systems they sell because they think they are profitable. :LOL:

Do you see?

re:

2269952967_dd4fd17a9f.jpg

**** A special prize for the most original answer of "whats going through that traders/miners mind ?"[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for the elusive purple, gold nuggets, and all I get is I'm starting to look like one of the Village People.

And a bad case of chest hair thats overflowing from my shirt.

========================================================

i take 3 milli liters of "greed", which keeps me up for hours -- i also have an IV drip for those late hours !

but youve found my secret --- im not really a great trader, but i stay up 24 hours a day, trading for one pip a minute !

LOL

mp

I expect its those darn Mcgiver sisters keeping him up alll night! Whattsa guy to do ? The Euro can wait !!! Unless MP can multi task .. :)
===========================================
the euro remains, the McGivers must be enjoyed, as a raw oyster, fresh and berift of any coverings or sauces, and not left around to become a prune !

mp

youve hit the nail on the head there my man..

although the stake is higher. the "STAKES" are higher (psychologically)

Ah, without a doubt, if someone has ONE good model there's no way it would make sense to market it. However, what if you had a few dozen and were not trading all of them? I don't know of any business that would not jump at the chance to generate revenue from its excess inventory so long as doing so did not harm their existing operations.

jj
OK jj, perhaps integrity was not an appropriate term. Let’s see if I can’t better phrase it this time so as to avoid another reported/pulled post. LOL.

Would you not consider it reasonable that any company that acted as you state would be considered by those who would potentially care, to be a 2nd rate outfit? To further develop your metaphor, ‘excess inventory’ is effectively 2nd rate trading systems that may, or may not, have a positive expectancy, but are not the stellar performers the company itself would use. Do you agree that some would consider that assessment of your intent to be a reasonable one?

So if any company were to market ‘seconds’ in the trading arena and got a name for operating in that way, do you not think quality investors would perhaps think twice before involving themselves with either the lower quality systems being sold and even more likely, assume any managed funds operated by the company or companies within the group, were likely to offer their investors the minimum pickings from endeavours with their own funds, while keeping the stonking earnings for themselves?

Genuine question. I see room for both Woolworths and Harrods on this planet – but as a large investor, if I were looking for someone to manage my wealth (I’m not – so no PMs please anyone), I know which I would approach first.

Interesting theory Bramble but you can see plenty of examples which refute it.

The most obvious one is software on the internet. A lot of good companies offer a limited but often very functional version of their software for free. It works. It probably meets the needs of 80% of potential users and it doesn't damage the company's reputation. Better still the 20% who need more can evaluate the base product and choose to pay for the other products if they want.

In this model the payment is the promotion of the company name. Others offer low cost product, again with their normal quality, but without the same feature set as their higher priced product.

So they are not seconds in the rag trade sense. They are products in Mathemagician's sense that work, provide a service by being there, and don't damage the company's reputation or revenues.

Interesting theory Bramble but you can see plenty of examples which refute it.

The most obvious one is software on the internet. A lot of good companies offer a limited but often very functional version of their software for free. It works. It probably meets the needs of 80% of potential users and it doesn't damage the company's reputation. Better still the 20% who need more can evaluate the base product and choose to pay for the other products if they want.

In this model the payment is the promotion of the company name. Others offer low cost product, again with their normal quality, but without the same feature set as their higher priced product.

So they are not seconds in the rag trade sense. They are products in Mathemagician's sense that work, provide a service by being there, and don't damage the company's reputation or revenues.
You inadvertently confirm my point while trying to do quite the opposite.

Limited but functional software is quite acceptable to the 80% that don’t realise what they really want, or more importantly, what they really need. But the 20% you hopefully suggest that choose to pay for ‘other products’ will rarely go to what they perceive as the shyster who supplied the largely uninformed masses – they will go to Quality.

They do quite genuinely ‘damage’ the company’s revenues by buying product and service from a company which they can trust.

LOL Bramble. Good to see you've let it go.

And so wrong once again.
John, if you carry on stalking me, people will begin to wonder if you have a guilty conscience.

Surely your two teenage daughters wouldn't act this way?

You need to not blow your account in the process though, trading isn't about making a million ticks occasionally, its about making a few ticks everyday with SIZE:smart:

Hear Hear! A true student of the, in my opinion, extremely FLAWED prop firm ethos.