Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

This is a discussion on Just HOW do you make money in the markets? within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by DionysusToast In fact, I'd say that leaving the internet well alone may be the best thing you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:23pm   #9

Joined Nov 2004
Re: Just HOW do you make money in the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
In fact, I'd say that leaving the internet well alone may be the best thing you can do in your search, either that or stop trying.
That is the best advice I've ever seen on a trading forum.
zupcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: D70
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:06pm   #10
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Mr Charts.

I hit your thread link and read about your 3 trades with the charts that showed where you entered and exited for your gains. Now, don't take this the wrong way, but looking at the charts you provided, especially the 2nd and 3rd charts, it looks like you left a lot of money on the table. I know it's next to impossible to pick the absolute top (or bottom) of a price trend, but looking at the charts it seems like you didn't get in until the last 10-20% of the trend. Is that how it always goes for you and your trading style? Is it because you are focused on trading 1 minute bars and not looking at the bigger trend for the day or half-day? Again, not trying to disparage your trades-which, after all did give you a profit-just trying to get a grasp on what I can realistically expect to get out of a trend.

Thoughts?
Just a quick comment on this - you should try to get your head around risk to reward ratios rather than just straight forward % gains and how this ties in with money management ......eg if you are risking only very small amounts you can use leverage to increase the overall size of the trade .....so maximising actual gains....

Also, start a journal / write everything down - what you method is, what your rules for entry, exit, stop loss, why you are entering any particular trade, before and after charts and review of the trade after exit

Sounds like a lot of effort, but it really is critically important.....plenty of material on here on both of the above points...
Prawnsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:13pm   #11

Joined Jun 2008

Quote:
My estimate is that there is are 4 people on this site that are actually making money from trading.

Therefore - asking that question on this site will not get you the answer you need.

In fact, I'd say that leaving the internet well alone may be the best thing you can do in your search, either that or stop trying.
I too would agree that your final sentence is likely to be excellent advice.

However, your assertion that there are 4 profitable traders on this site is wrong. I have met more that 4 people from this site who are profitable traders.
SteamRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:52pm   #12

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamRoller View Post
I too would agree that your final sentence is likely to be excellent advice.

However, your assertion that there are 4 profitable traders on this site is wrong. I have met more that 4 people from this site who are profitable traders.
8 posts on this forum & you have MET 4 people from here who have proved they are profitable ?

You do realise this isn't a dating site for trader groupies don't you ?

Reminds me of as chick I nailed the night I borrowed my mates Ferrari...
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:23pm   #13
Joined Nov 2001

I don't think that you should worry about the financial credentials of those who post on here. If you do that you'll need the patience of Job and unfailing belief in the honesty of everyone. Who needs it, anyway? What are needed are ideas that you, yourself, can work on.

I've worked on plenty of the ideas put forward on p-bars. IBs, patterns of all kinds. All of them are missing something and need adaptation to whatever you have in your mind to do but, nevertheless, they are ideas with certain merit and may well not have been spotted on your own.

I don't think that trading can be done without the internet, these days, anyway, unless one is a dinosaur and they are, even, before my time.

Last edited by Splitlink; Jan 3, 2010 at 5:28pm.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Paul71
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:37pm   #14

Joined Jun 2008

Quote:
8 posts on this forum & you have MET 4 people from here who have proved they are profitable ?
If knowledge, experience and ability in trading was linked to the number of posts someone had made on this site, then you'd be making another good point, however it isn't, and you're not!
SteamRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:40pm   #15

Joined Nov 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
I don't think that trading can be done without the internet, these days, anyway, unless one is a dinosaur.
The comment didnt concern execution, it was made with respect to trading related information.
zupcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:46pm   #16
Joined May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupcon View Post
The comment didnt concern execution, it was made with respect to trading related information.
still inaccurate in my view. Not only in trading; in any field if you are seeking a knowledge internet is great (mostly free) source. To advise someone not to utilise this source is a little bit strange.
searchlight is offline   Reply With Quote