VantagePoint/Market Technologies software?

This is a discussion on VantagePoint/Market Technologies software? within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by pboyles Patong, I'd be happy to try your VP system if you can post it EUD/AUD @ ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 29, 2008, 4:07am   #16
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
Patong,

I'd be happy to try your VP system if you can post it
EUD/AUD @ 1.9650 Stop now 1.9691 end of week close 1.9394

Closed EUD/USD 380 pips profit.

EUD/AUD Short @ 1.9394 stop 1.9700, will re-enter on Monday, pending other indicators confirmations. Looks good though.

Still Long the GPB/USD from 24/11/08 @ 1.5170 Stop now 1.5340 , closed for the 1.5377, needs to break 1.5500

AUD/CAD looks promising but would like to see a break of 8200. presently at first level resistance .8135.

pboyles , my entry stategy has been already posted somewhere here. Consist of for rules

1. Neural = 1 for long 0 short.

2. predicted differences must be above the zero on a preferred 45 drgree angle and vice vers for a short

3 pre high and low must be above/below the actual s, pending on long or short.

4. want to see a crossover and it MUST cross. Actual/ Predicted on the chart.

I do have other methods, but this seem to work well and is basic.

Also I read that another person on this forum was informed to wait for Instrument being traded to get near the predicted high/low before entry. Even though I have done this myself the Staff at VP have always advised against this..
patong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:10am   #17
Joined Oct 2006
Patong

Which crossover are you using, short, medium or long term?
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 3:50am   #18
Joined Jul 2008
Pboyes,

Using the medium.

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:48pm   #19
Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by patong View Post
Pboyes,

Using the medium.

Cheers.
Patong,

Entries are simple enough, could probably backtest them in excel, what about stops and take profits though, obviously thats a big part of any system.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:51am   #20
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Patong,

Entries are simple enough, could probably backtest them in excel, what about stops and take profits though, obviously thats a big part of any system.
It all depends on your account size and risk factor. Also very important; is there any major news releases due. No system can predict a news item.

On a long entry of the daily chart I will use the predicted low as a stop and predicted high as a stop on the short. They generally tend to be around the 80 pip mark, need to give it room to breath so you can catch the trend without be stop hunted etc. If that seems to big a stoploss I will change position size or timeframe to something acceptable. Everyone is different. If you try to use VP on Indices you need to use the short term crossover I have found the best.

Exits. If i am happy with my profit I will exit at that point, volitility has alot to do with it. You have to use a number of technics , candles, support , resistance. Trailing stops, Volitility.

I think the problem is the way VP is marketed and people think its the whole package where in fact its only a very useful tool. Some people don,t even like it as a tool. It can be a monster in the wrong hands.

If my four rules are not met I just pass it by and wait. You can get into trouble trying to create something from nothing.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:16pm   #21
TME
Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpreadBetter View Post
What do you guys make of this: Market Technologies Intermarket Analysis Software
Anyone tried it before? Does it work at least 1% of what they are saying? Is it a scam? Anyone any experience?
Yes, I use it all the time. Actually, I wouldn't be without it now. The use of neural network predicted moving averages and high/lows, based on intermarket data, works very well in the short term I find, and gives you more confidence.

It is not a 'scam'. Scams are rare in market analysis software anyway, as you can easily verify the statistics the company provides yourself in most cases. Just a very useful tool, though expensive.
TME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:09pm   #22
Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TME View Post
Yes, I use it all the time. Actually, I wouldn't be without it now. The use of neural network predicted moving averages and high/lows, based on intermarket data, works very well in the short term I find, and gives you more confidence.

It is not a 'scam'. Scams are rare in market analysis software anyway, as you can easily verify the statistics the company provides yourself in most cases. Just a very useful tool, though expensive.

A great many people have found VP to be of no use at all. Look on forexfactory, forexpeacearmy and elsewhere on this site and you'll see that most people are critical of it. Personally I tried it for a year and a half and found it to be worse than useless, others like Patong think its great. If you are expecting it to give you 80% winning trades out of the box you'll be sorely disappointed, although that is what the sales people will promise you.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:28pm   #23
TME
Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
A great many people have found VP to be of no use at all. Look on forexfactory, forexpeacearmy and elsewhere on this site and you'll see that most people are critical of it. Personally I tried it for a year and a half and found it to be worse than useless, others like Patong think its great. If you are expecting it to give you 80% winning trades out of the box you'll be sorely disappointed, although that is what the sales people will promise you.
I think it depends very much on how you use it (and it can be used in a great many ways). For Forex trading I combine it with daily pivots, and find that it helps a lot in giving a good feel for overall daily trend. I haven't yet tried using it for longer trades, so don't know how well it would perform. As far as I can tell (I have been using it for a few months now), its strengths lie in shorter term forecasting. All I can say is that it has certainly made a great difference to my trading.

I don't believe that VP claims 80% winning trades, just that their neural index classifies short term (2 day) simple moving averages with 80% accuracy. The neural index is not the quickest indicator, but is useful at keeping you out of incipient trends that could easily reverse.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:14pm   #24

3 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Yep, It seems the world is polarized - people either ~hate~ VantagePoint, or, they ~love~ it!

My experience has been that the "blue line-black line crossovers" the advertisements show indeed cannot be used 'blindly' - but have to be judged in context with what the other indicators in VP are telling you at the same time... and then the picture becomes much clearer.... there are crossovers, & then there are CROSSOVERS... Its not perfect, not failproof -- but once you learn to read things, the full suite of VP indicators does help discern "the good ones"

You might want to check out a thread on TraderPlanet.com where I've posted a Forex trading method using VP, along with forward test/live trades .... and it ~IS working for me, that's all I can say.

Trading GBP/USD using VantagePoint SW - TraderPlanet - Forums

In the webinar section on TraderPlanet there are also several videos posted from several different traders using VP.

[TraderPlanet is fairly new, kind of like FaceBook for traders, + Forums & Commentaries & some ebooks & other stuff]

They've also got a new 'contest' going on: www.traderplanet.com/contest

Cheers & Good Trading
Tango46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:23am   #25
TME
Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango46 View Post
Yep, It seems the world is polarized - people either ~hate~ VantagePoint, or, they ~love~ it!

My experience has been that the "blue line-black line crossovers" the advertisements show indeed cannot be used 'blindly' - but have to be judged in context with what the other indicators in VP are telling you at the same time... and then the picture becomes much clearer.... there are crossovers, & then there are CROSSOVERS... Its not perfect, not failproof -- but once you learn to read things, the full suite of VP indicators does help discern "the good ones"

You might want to check out a thread on TraderPlanet.com where I've posted a Forex trading method using VP, along with forward test/live trades .... and it ~IS working for me, that's all I can say.

Trading GBP/USD using VantagePoint SW - TraderPlanet - Forums

In the webinar section on TraderPlanet there are also several videos posted from several different traders using VP.

[TraderPlanet is fairly new, kind of like FaceBook for traders, + Forums & Commentaries & some ebooks & other stuff]

They've also got a new 'contest' going on: www.traderplanet.com/contest

Cheers & Good Trading
Thanks for drawing our attention to your threads on TraderPlanet, Tango46. I haven't looked at your GBPUSD example in detail yet, but your approach looks really useful. It's nice of you to share it.

I had something similar in mind, and am beginning to test out trading strategies using VP indicators with Ward systems' Neuroshell trader and ChaosHunter. Some quite interesting results so far but nothing worth posting. I need to refine my parameters, but watch this space.

In my view, what you say about the need to consider VP indicators in combination and how they interact is crucial.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:37am   #26

3 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Quote:
Thanks for drawing our attention to your threads on TraderPlanet, Tango46. I haven't looked at your GBPUSD example in detail yet, but your approach looks really useful. It's nice of you to share it.

I had something similar in mind, and am beginning to test out trading strategies using VP indicators with Ward systems' Neuroshell trader and ChaosHunter. Some quite interesting results so far but nothing worth posting. I need to refine my parameters, but watch this space.

In my view, what you say about the need to consider VP indicators in combination and how they interact is crucial.

TME: Thanks, Cool. I had a demo of Neuroshell installed also, but never did much with it. How are you using it?
Tango46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:38am   #27
TME
Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango46 View Post
TME: Thanks, Cool. I had a demo of Neuroshell installed also, but never did much with it. How are you using it?
Neuroshell is not that easy to use I find. The help menu and videos leave a lot to be desired. Their new Chaoshunter is simpler and can be integrated easily with either neuroshell, Excel or other programs. It produces formulas based on multiple regression models optimized either with genetic algorithms or 'particle swarm' (don't know too much about that option).

So far, on very simple models, it has given predictions with abou6 60-65% accuracy. This can probably be improved, but apparently Chaoshunter often produces predictions which are not that impressive, but tend to be robust. So it may be more reliable in the long run. I tested it out on GBPUSD using something rather similar to your rules (though not identical).

The 60% accuracy fits in with what I've seen with VP so far. May not sound that great, but still perfectly acceptable (to me at any rate) with something like a 2:1 risk/reward ratio, or using your multiple profit targets approach.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:55am   #28
Joined Jul 2008
Vp Sale

Quote:
Neuroshell is not that easy to use I find. The help menu and videos leave a lot to be desired. Their new Chaoshunter is simpler and can be integrated easily with either neuroshell, Excel or other programs. It produces formulas based on multiple regression models optimized either with genetic algorithms or 'particle swarm' (don't know too much about that option).

So far, on very simple models, it has given predictions with abou6 60-65% accuracy. This can probably be improved, but apparently Chaoshunter often produces predictions which are not that impressive, but tend to be robust. So it may be more reliable in the long run. I tested it out on GBPUSD using something rather similar to your rules (though not identical).

The 60% accuracy fits in with what I've seen with VP so far. May not sound that great, but still perfectly acceptable (to me at any rate) with something like a 2:1 risk/reward ratio, or using your multiple profit targets approach.
Its great you guys are making this work for you. I too have used VP in the past, however these days I don't use it that much.

Have my own system, yesterday 437 pips risk 50 pips 1 loss 25 pips

Today over 400 pips no loss yet.

Will join you guys when not trading.

Good work

Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:19am   #29
TME
Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patong View Post
Its great you guys are making this work for you. I too have used VP in the past, however these days I don't use it that much.

Have my own system, yesterday 437 pips risk 50 pips 1 loss 25 pips

Today over 400 pips no loss yet.

Will join you guys when not trading.

Good work

Cheers
Congratulations on your system. Sounds interesting - if you'd care to enlarge, I'd love to hear more about it.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:31am   #30
Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Congratulations on your system. Sounds interesting - if you'd care to enlarge, I'd love to hear more about it.
You will here alot about it in the future.

VP is an expensive hobby these days. I don,t believe in predicting the market, i like the market to show me direction. Thats the big difference.

cheers