my journal

This is a discussion on my journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by travis Yeah, you don't look so good either. You've been staring at your monitor for too long. ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:39pm   #652

Joined Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Yeah, you don't look so good either. You've been staring at your monitor for too long. I've been slouching at the movie theater for a few weeks now, and my back hurts.

--------------------
All your base are belong to Blix
--------------------
UK Equities Thread - http://www.trade2win.com/boards/uk-s...orgasbord.html
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:20pm   #653

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread MY ANXIETY IS BOTH GOOD AND BAD
Pessimism leads to anxiety, anxiety leads to hard work to avoid possible negative outcomes. But anxiety also leads to self-destruction to a degree. To the degree that you hurt the outcome by turning a potential negative out come into a certainly negative outcome, simply by acting upon your expectations.

In this case, I am obsessing, as always, about the guy who's supposed to send me my ebay item. He's not even late, and I am upset because he still hasn't sent me the email with the shipping code.

It happened with the previous guy as well: I harassed him for two weeks because he was indeed late, but those two weeks were hell for me as well.

I do just the same with trading. I harass my trades.

Today I was worrying all day long about the job opportunity that might not be good enough so that I wanted to turn it down even before meeting the guy.

As soon as I see something not working out with a girlfriend, I start harassing them with questions about the health of our relationship. So they get annoyed or tired, I get more worried, and eventually we break up.

Anxiety is good to the extent that it keeps you alert and preventing problems. It's not good when it keeps you so alert that you are causing the problems, by not being patient. These people could get annoyed and send the package late because I make them feel rushed. The employer will not hire you if they see you nervous, and if you don't show up they won't show you what they have to offer you. Your trading will definitely go bad if you are anxious about it.

Whenever objects are involved anxiety tends to be good, because it enables you to control what surrounds you better. Whenever you're interacting with other people, your anxiety may be good as well, but it may also do, in some situations (relationships, ebay orders) even more damage than good.

Trading is an exception, because you are not interacting with people, but only with price, and yet you're hurting your trading by being anxious. My trading goes well when I trade and forget about it, or when the system takes care of everything. If I have the ability to interact, then I'm screwed. But then let's not forget that I built such good systems only because of I am anxious, perfectionist, and basically not serene and easygoing. Being easygoing is the opposite of being anxious: it can be good but it can also be bad. You're not going to build a good automated system if you're easygoing. You won't even get down to doing it. To do that, you need to be obsessive, anxious, and so on, and then you will incur the opposite problem, because when you could use some relax, you can't because you still keep at it, even when it just ruins everything.

Also. If I could treat ebay like trading, it would be better. Yes, I spent hundreds of dollars on this computer. What if I don't receive it? So what. Bad trade: just a loss, an ebay trade. But I shouldn't let myself turn it into a loss by harassing the guy I am trading with. Let him send the package whenever he wants, and start harassing him only if you can see that he's decided not to send it.

Once again, this ebay purchase is just a trade. I have to let it evolve. If at the end it didn't turn out profitable, I could even lose 700 dollars, like I do with my discretionary trading. It was worth trying. It was just a trade. No point in harassing this guy because I am feeling anxious about my trade with him. He might even decide not to send the package because I make him hate me.

WILL TRADER TRAVIS EVER SOLVE ENOUGH OF HIS PROBLEMS TO BE PROFITABLE?

Last edited by travis; Nov 12, 2009 at 7:37pm.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:54pm   #654

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread OH YES!

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

I got a text message with the shipping code! Thank god I hadn't sent him death threats yet!

Watch "Dumb & Dumber"

Last edited by travis; Nov 12, 2009 at 9:13pm.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:10pm   #655

Joined Dec 2008
travis, you have it completely wrong about anxiety mate.

anxiety does not keep you 'alert', a little fear can have this effect (as long as its not debilitating due to an excess of adrenaline in the system)...anxiety has no beneficial effects.

constant anxiety is a product of emotional or behavioural issues that can usually be addressed well with temporary medication and therapy (usually CBT). no big deal really.

i hope you don't take offence to my post and the fact that i've written on your thread as opposed to PMing you. you are very open in your journal, so i didn't think a post like this would be out of place.

this is only meant in the most sincere way...and i am speaking from experience regarding this subject.

--------------------
--------------------
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:12pm   #656

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread Yeah, I know: you don't look so good yourself, at least at the time your picture was taken. You see, my anxiety is indeed too much, but I don't like the idea of taking medications. I don't like the idea of taking something if i don't know what it is.

Watch "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:21pm   #657

Joined Dec 2008
yeah, i understand what you're saying, but your response to medication in itself could be anxiety motivated!

you see, just reading your journal, it doesn't seem like you have too bad a life, you're working, you have family...you just seem troubled with anxiety problems.

why spend time trying to figure out how to trade when you're constantly going to be tripped up due to a potential anxiety issue? there's just no logic there.

deal with the anxiety first...then get back into trading.

give it a pop for 6 months, see what happens?

anyway, i don't feel comfortable typing this sort of stuff, feel like i've over-stepped some kind of mark...this is a trading forum after all! hope you're not offended. just don't like thinking of people having a difficult time of it.

--------------------
--------------------
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:24pm   #658

Joined Mar 2003
travis started this thread Don't worry. You're not disrespecting me. I am not offended. I'd be offended if you wrote something like "ur gay" or "you're weird". That's something that really really bothers me. All reasoning is welcome.

Regarding my anxiety, tell me some quick solutions. Let's not talk in general. If you have some quick advice go ahead and shoot. Don't tell me about taking pills.

Watch "Taxi Driver"
Closed Thread