Simple Inside Bars

This is a discussion on Simple Inside Bars within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by golfer27 Gd Luck mate. i opened an acct at etx too, first trade took a daily pin ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:53pm   #145
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer27 View Post
Gd Luck mate. i opened an acct at etx too, first trade took a daily pin on gbp/chf the other day, put a 30 pip stop loss, got stopped out, and yep, trade did exactly what i thought and missed out on a nice profit. Such is life, just wondered if tight stops might be a prob.
If i'd adhered to my normal stop, beyond the bar, it wud have been a gd un.
But at 50p a pip, stops are a problem, at least on the daily.
Edit: just seen your on 1hr 15min, so not so crucial.
I'm getting the trend direction right, now, on a satisfactory basis so close stops have not been such a problem for me. This morning, though, on FT, I got stopped on a short trade and missed a good morning because of it. So, maybe, stops might be better further away.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:15am   #146
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.
 
timsk's Avatar
Joined Mar 2002
Hi foredog,
Good to see your thread revived! Can I put in a request for a chart to accompany the description of the trades you take please? A picture paints . . .

Tim.
__________________
I'm New To T2W - Where Do I Start? - a must read for anyone new to T2W
I'm New To TRADING – Where Do I Start? - a must read for anyone new to TRADING
The Trading Plan Template - a must read for anyone without a proper TRADING PLAN
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:25am   #147
 
foredog's Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
foredog started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer27 View Post
Gd Luck mate. i opened an acct at etx too, first trade took a daily pin on gbp/chf the other day, put a 30 pip stop loss, got stopped out, and yep, trade did exactly what i thought and missed out on a nice profit. Such is life, just wondered if tight stops might be a prob.
If i'd adhered to my normal stop, beyond the bar, it wud have been a gd un.
But at 50p a pip, stops are a problem, at least on the daily.
Edit: just seen your on 1hr 15min, so not so crucial.
Know what you mean, but it's l about percentages.

The 20 pips stop works most of the time, sometimes you get stopped out at the very top of a pullback, but the thing is with the winers you can stack on better size

If you're rising £100 for example 50point stop means £2pp, 20 pt stop means £5pp. So let say i get stopped out for 2 of them with 50 or 20 stop so i've lost £200. a 3rd retraces 30 point so i'm stopped out by the 20 but not the 50, this one gives me 50pts profit so now i'm down £300 with 20 and only £100 with the 50.

The next two are 80 point winners, so with the 20stop I make £800, with the 50 point stop I make £320.

20 stop total £500 50 stop £220

With this method you're looking for some of the winners to be BIG winners so when they go for 100+ pips you want to have the best size on them, so taking a few hits will happen along the way.

Wont work for everyone though.

Another example is the account, So far i've had 1 stop out, 1 break even and one winner but because i had the small stop the winners delivered a 70% profit (imagine it was a bigger account, obviously i traded the smallest i could because of the account balance!)
__________________
IF IN DOUBT GET THE **** OUT!

No need for a course http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...tml#post707344

Simple cable system http://simpledibs.blogspot.com/ http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...side-bars.html

Last edited by foredog; Oct 3, 2009 at 10:28am. Reason: add example
foredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trendie
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:26am   #148
 
foredog's Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
foredog started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi foredog,
Good to see your thread revived! Can I put in a request for a chart to accompany the description of the trades you take please? A picture paints . . .

Tim.
I'll see what I can do Tim.
__________________
IF IN DOUBT GET THE **** OUT!

No need for a course http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...tml#post707344

Simple cable system http://simpledibs.blogspot.com/ http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...side-bars.html
foredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:21am   #149
 
trendie's Avatar
Joined Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by foredog View Post
Hi Split

You're dead right that IB's can be hit or miss, but the secret is the size of the winners, a bit of trading and a bit of backtesting has indicated that this will only win 50% ish but the winners usually average 50+ where as the stops are 20.

The trick seems to be bagging a few 100+ winners and they're basically you're profit and the other winners pay for the losers.

I will be trading 1hour IB's

As a side note I compared the 1hr to 15mn using this method since 14th September, (as thats as far as IG went on 15m) not a great study but it'll do.

15 min 58 trades 366 pips profit

1hr 17 trades 648 pips profit.

This is just cable and others may be different. All had 20 pip stop.

Just wish i'd been around to take all those trades!!!
hi foredog,

interesting stats: are they based on every single trade, or only those between 6am and 10pm or something?
also, are you using the additional filter of only taking longs if IB is above midnights price, and only takng shorts if bar is below midnights price?
I have DIBS TriggerLines1.1, and I cant replicate the 17 trades. (maybe I am using the wrong exit rule)

the most useful component is the small-stop, and thus the better returns when a runner occurs, rather than the wider stop, more wins, but ultimately lower return.

that aspect is one component that tends not to be discussed, since people are too engaged in entries and exits.
good thread.

EDIT: have uploaded the alerter I used. Is this it?
Attached Files
File Type: mq4 DIBS_TriggerLines1.1.mq4 (8.3 KB, 84 views)
__________________
# If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail - Abraham Maslow
# There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that dont. -Anon
# Ed Seykotas Whipsaw Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiE1V...Wlxk8&index=10
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:23am   #150
 
montmorencyt2w's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by foredog View Post
I'll see what I can do Tim.
Personally I've never found IBs to work for me, although I know others seem to, especially TD for example. I'm probably just bad at picking out the good ones. It would therefore definitely be good to see some charts of recent working examples.


Thanks.
__________________
Regards,
Mike
--
Still learning my trade.

Just because it worked, it doesn't mean that it works.
Think of losing trades as your training fees.
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:02pm   #151
 
elitejets's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
Hi Foredog ...
I'm subscribed
elitejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:15pm   #152
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post
hi foredog,

interesting stats: are they based on every single trade, or only those between 6am and 10pm or something?
also, are you using the additional filter of only taking longs if IB is above midnights price, and only takng shorts if bar is below midnights price?
I have DIBS TriggerLines1.1, and I cant replicate the 17 trades. (maybe I am using the wrong exit rule)

the most useful component is the small-stop, and thus the better returns when a runner occurs, rather than the wider stop, more wins, but ultimately lower return.

that aspect is one component that tends not to be discussed, since people are too engaged in entries and exits.
good thread.

EDIT: have uploaded the alerter I used. Is this it?
By small stop, do you mean that the stop is close to the end of the IB? I think that that is risky, as a lot of the IBs I have studied make false moves.

I have been studying these bars afresh, after a long time, and have come up with a plan for me to try next week. For me, the IB is a trigger to enter the trade but I need other factors that, I believe, indicate trend direction. They can be averages or, if the averages are flat, SR lines.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tenbobtrader
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pin bars...and let this be the last of it. trader_dante General Trading Chat 27 Apr 5, 2009 5:14pm
Good book with simple trading strategies inside peter450 General Trading Chat 10 Feb 14, 2009 11:53am
Inside Bars nkruger Technical Analysis 12 Jun 24, 2008 2:30pm
Inside Track Chicken Curry The Foyer 2 Feb 17, 2006 11:18am
Looking inside a bar. 1 min vs. 15 min bars ... brooksrimes Trading Systems 0 Aug 30, 2005 10:40pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)