Joey's MP Journal

This is a discussion on Joey's MP Journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by fbutera101 Hi Joey. I just wanted to say that I'm new to T2W. I've come here to ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:09am   #31
Joined Mar 2005
Joey25 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbutera101 View Post
Hi Joey. I just wanted to say that I'm new to T2W. I've come here to look for some chatter with others who are profile trading and I found your journal. I've been a profile trader for quite a few years now and I look forward to chatting more and following your trading journal.

Best of luck to you.

Frank
Thanks for making contact Frank. Any feedback more than welcome!

The specific pattern I'm struggling with is: you get a breakout from balance on the 30-minute chart and then a pullback, with a long set of single prints between the breakout point and the pullback point. There doesn't seem to be an easy place to put a stop, in that if the market can overcome the pullback point it tends to fill in the single prints quite easily.

What do you think? A vol stop perhaps? Just accept the trade has failed if the single prints start to get "gobbled up"?

I was left on the sidelines with my high volume trades yesterday which was very frustrating.

Cheers,
Joey

P.S I'm an experienced options trader and that's how I make my living, so this stuff is pretty new to me!

Last edited by Joey25; Jul 10, 2008 at 10:15am.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:34am   #32
Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathcoole_exile View Post
Joey, was this a limit order ?

judging by the time of your post you didn't get triggered ?

I had a similar order in, but a stop sell order :-)

went to bed, found out i'd made 4.5 points in a 20+ move......ah well......... :-(

if i'd been able to stay awake (i'd like to believe) that I may have kept a portion of the trade open and gone with the runner.

but it's interesting observing the role of weekly S1 in all this - I'm sure MP shows the same thing, but S1 was the exact point that Monday's price dropped to like a stone, it was the approximate point of the bounce on Tuesday, then the precise close yesterday

garry
Hi Garry,

I've been following your notes and the Point Of Control seems to often correspond to a classical pivot point.

Sadly, yes limit orders for both entries, missed the high of the day by 2 ticks.

Suffering a bit from paralysis from analysis at the moment and my methods make me look like a chimp if there's no retracement!

I like your stuff and I'm thinking of switching to Tradestation. Did the software manage the entire trade through to completion for you?

Cheers,
Joey
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:46am   #33

Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey25 View Post
Hi Garry,

I've been following your notes and the Point Of Control seems to often correspond to a classical pivot point.

Sadly, yes limit orders for both entries, missed the high of the day by 2 ticks.

Suffering a bit from paralysis from analysis at the moment and my methods make me look like a chimp if there's no retracement!

I like your stuff and I'm thinking of switching to Tradestation. Did the software manage the entire trade through to completion for you?

Cheers,
Joey
to be honest i usually use the infinity price matrix/ladder for my trades, i find it much more user friendly, but i prefer TS charts ....

karl6666: 'Why doesnt anybody like you R_E, is it because you shout?'
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:52am   #34

Joined Jun 2007
My Trading Network

I wouldn't recommend this to a newbie as it's important to understand how PPs are calculated and important to learn by hand.
but since you obviously do know what you're doing: check out this site, they cut out all the hard work and provide daily updates on POC, PPs etc

Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:56am   #35

Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Point Of Control seems to often correspond to a classical pivot point.
yep, Mondays POC corresponded almost with the daily R1
Tuesday's with PP & yesterdays with S1

now that would be very significant if only POC remained a relative constant ...

Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:28am   #36
Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathcoole_exile View Post
yep, Mondays POC corresponded almost with the daily R1
Tuesday's with PP & yesterdays with S1

now that would be very significant if only POC remained a relative constant ...
Possibly merge the last 5-days profiles? The trouble is I'm stumped on what to do with the overnight session TPOs.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:36pm   #37
Joined Mar 2005
EPU8 Value Area for use 10th July

Joey25 started this thread Value Area High = 1278.75

Point of Control = 1273.25

Value Area Low = 1262.00
Attached Files
File Type: xls 9th July.xls (49.5 KB, 132 views)
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:53pm   #38
Joined Mar 2005
Potential setup for Archive: "New Beginning"

Joey25 started this thread I probably won't trade until at least 9.05am Chicago time today, probably later, because Bernanke is speaking.

Therefore I want to archive this setup in case the trade occurs in the meantime.

The trade is: Sell at 1267.25, with a stop at 1271.00 and a target trailing stop,

I like this because I believe this is what Steidlmayer refers to as a "New Beginning".
It is where price breaks out of balance, usually from the mean, and a long low volume area occurs before development occurs again.
Attached Thumbnails
proposed-trade-1.jpg  
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:02pm   #39
Joined Mar 2005
Today's "Big Picture" Trade

Joey25 started this thread There is an intersection between yesterday's Point of Control and the big trendline again today.

The trade is: Sell at 1272.50, with a stop at 1276.25, target trailing stop.
Attached Thumbnails
proposed2.jpg  
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:08pm   #40
Joined Mar 2005
Potential Scalp

Joey25 started this thread Sell at 1257.25
Stop at 1260.00
Tgt at 1254.75

I'm viewing the overnight highs as a failed auction into yesterday's single prints. Also, the entry level is near the top of a 7.30am data spike and is in the region of the 24hr Pivot Point (HLC/3). Protective stop is above the overnight high.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:10pm   #41

Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Sell at 1257.25
Stop at 1260.00
Tgt at 1254.75

I'm viewing the overnight highs as a failed auction into yesterday's single prints. Also, the entry level is near the top of a 7.30am data spike and is in the region of the 24hr Pivot Point (HLC/3). Protective stop is above the overnight high.
ha ! you're going to be selling just where I am buying - i always wondered who took the other side of my trades - it's YOU !!!

Old Jul 10, 2008, 7:44pm   #42
Joined Mar 2005
July 10th Trade 1

Joey25 started this thread Sell at 1257.25
Stop at 1260.00
Exit at 1255.75
Gross p/l = +1.50

Have now moved onto proposal 1 mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:03pm   #43
Joined Mar 2005
Potential scalp

Joey25 started this thread I've put this order in:

Sell at 1254.50
Stop at 1257.25
Tgt at 1252.00

It's the top of the 13.00pm spike bar on today's chart.

The best I could come up with for the stop is above the 4th July Low, which seems to be a bit of a pivot.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:19pm   #44
Joined Mar 2005
10th July Trade 2 / End of Day

Joey25 started this thread Sold at 1254.50
Stop at 1257.25
Exit at 1254.00 (market order before close)
Gross p/l = +0.50

Total for the day = +1.50 +0.50 = +2.00
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:40am   #45

5 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Why don't you try dropping the pattern down a bit and looking for smaller break points? If you don't get that, and you don't get your pullback, then you just deal with it. You can't have them all ya know.

Also, you are taking such small winner it makes me wonder if you are truly benefiting from using the profile at all. Seems like you're sitting and waiting all day for tiny scalps. You're taking advantage of noise and not the directional edge the profile gives you.

Just my two cents.

Frank

Quote:
Thanks for making contact Frank. Any feedback more than welcome!

The specific pattern I'm struggling with is: you get a breakout from balance on the 30-minute chart and then a pullback, with a long set of single prints between the breakout point and the pullback point. There doesn't seem to be an easy place to put a stop, in that if the market can overcome the pullback point it tends to fill in the single prints quite easily.

What do you think? A vol stop perhaps? Just accept the trade has failed if the single prints start to get "gobbled up"?

I was left on the sidelines with my high volume trades yesterday which was very frustrating.

Cheers,
Joey

P.S I'm an experienced options trader and that's how I make my living, so this stuff is pretty new to me!
fbutera101 is offline Coach/Trainer  
Closed Thread