Dr. Toad's Journey to Bankruptcy or Financial Freedom

This is a discussion on Dr. Toad's Journey to Bankruptcy or Financial Freedom within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Kaeso Hi Dr T i was following this thread a while back but then stopped visiting the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:27pm   #151
Joined Jul 2015
Dr. Toad started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Hi Dr T

i was following this thread a while back but then stopped visiting the forum for a while.

how is your trading going? and where are you along the journey?

I remember you were coming up with many details about possible systems and potentially using automating software?
I have been testing and occasionally implementing automated systems. Haven't found anything that works all that well yet though so I am starting to look at things I have previously neglected.

Currently I am in the process of paper trading a short term (no overnight exposure) short only system. Backtests indicated somewhere around a 1.5% weekly return on average. If my paper trading results are on the order of 1% on average after about a month more testing I will bring it live on limited capital.

I am also in the process of developing a long only system with a short term timeframe but with the possibility of longer hold times. Basic idea is to limit the system to only S&P 500 stocks that pay dividends of 3% annually or greater. Enter with a fairly small target gain --> system will have no stop loss.

When I get into trades with longer hold times and large drawdowns, I will still be collecting the dividends. Being S&P 500 stocks the probability of a trade going all the way to 0 is very small.

I am just developing this now, but I suspect backtests will show some hold times exceeding a year. If I find that I only have a few of these at one time I may go ahead and bring it live. If I have all my capital tied up in these at the same time, then probably not.
Dr. Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:06am   #152
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toad View Post
I have been testing and occasionally implementing automated systems. Haven't found anything that works all that well yet.....
You are very thorough with your posts/journal thanks for all that effort its very impressive in itself! I've been having a skim back through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toad View Post
.. .The first target I am setting for myself is to have one month with a positive return. I believe I will ...bring my account back close to break even ....
did you achieve this or more yet? had many positive months or longer periods?

it took me about 9 months to have a positive month, and about 4yrs to have a positive 12months !
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote