College Fund Challenge

This is a discussion on College Fund Challenge within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Masquerade Just to get this straight: you're claiming a profit of $747, yet have an open loss ...

View Poll Results: How close to my goal of $2,000,000 do you think I will get?
You think I will blow the account and my $100 will be lost. 79 58.52%
You think I will somewhat earn a profit $200-$1,500. 17 12.59%
You think I will get a pretty good return but not close to $2,000,000. 27 20.00%
You think I will get way more then $2,000,000. 12 8.89%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:09pm   #529
Joined Sep 2010
Re: College Fund Challenge

tkbieber started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
Just to get this straight: you're claiming a profit of $747, yet have an open loss of $525. So if you flattened everything you'd really be +$222?

Just going to watch something but back to read all of your post.
Yes, it would be about +21.36% for the trading thus far. I don't care about the balance but the equity is more important.
tkbieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:10pm   #530

Joined Apr 2004

I think that on reflection trading through the holidays might have been better avoided.
Vaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: wackypete2
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:07pm   #531
Joined Dec 2011

Dont worry...when the volume picks up in january s180group fund will be back on track...I believe your system in the S180group fund needs volume to be profitable. Do you think that you should look into shutting down your system on those days with high impacting news? I would think that changing sentiment do to news would skew the reliability of the S180group fund profit.
bushmanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:31am   #532
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaco View Post
I think that on reflection trading through the holidays might have been better avoided.
Last year this system plowed through December and January. I have seen tight spots throughout the year so I really don't think Christmas has anything to do with it. I did get three 40-pip wins as well. Yes, for my system to work there needs to be traders out there and the three or so days this past week there just were no traders until yesterday.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:44pm   #533

Joined Jul 2008

You could backtest it easily, just plonk your data in excel.

Is there any logic to cutting losers "after a month", I can't think of anything convincing, and would think there would be a much better solution.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:45pm   #534
Joined Sep 2010

tkbieber started this thread Ok, I got the third out of four 15-pip trades back from the loss last week.

I'm still needing two 40-pip trades and one more 15-pip trade and that will get me back from the losses.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:32pm   #535
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotch View Post
You could backtest it easily, just plonk your data in excel.

Humm, I'd have to figure out the best way to do that.

Is there any logic to cutting losers "after a month", I can't think of anything convincing, and would think there would be a much better solution.
The logic would be that at the end of a month I'm up over 15%, take my profits and run. The open trades could be potential looses which would take away from my profits down the road. And now that would leave new opportunities for new good set-ups. If you notice on the Duration tab that the majority of the trades closed in under four days and most of the remaining close in under eight days leaving just a few good trades closing in 8-16 days.

Example: Lets say the EURUSD made a buy just before the market began to fall. Also, let's say I just reached 18% after 30 days and cut off all trades including the what-would-be looser. Now the EURUSD is only making sells as it is in a nice bearish trend.

By the way, I've seen where even a trade that becomes a loser and loses 5%, while the market is going against the trade, several good trades happen. I've seen up to 10 good trades. Basically while losing 5% it can get 2-3% back.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:35pm   #536

Joined Apr 2004

Where did these 15 pip winners come from, I thought it was 40, breakeven or -250. Is this a manual adjustment you have made because of the increase in stakes to compensate for the recent losers?
Vaco is offline   Reply With Quote