College Fund Challenge

This is a discussion on College Fund Challenge within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by busfarehome What would you consider a good sharpe ratio? What do you aim for? 1.5 College Fund, ...

View Poll Results: How close to my goal of $2,000,000 do you think I will get?
You think I will blow the account and my $100 will be lost. 79 58.52%
You think I will somewhat earn a profit $200-$1,500. 17 12.59%
You think I will get a pretty good return but not close to $2,000,000. 27 20.00%
You think I will get way more then $2,000,000. 12 8.89%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:37am   #331
Joined Jul 2011
Re: College Fund Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by busfarehome View Post
What would you consider a good sharpe ratio? What do you aim for?

College Fund, the $2M Goal System | Myfxbook
He has a negative Sharpe ratio now! Hahahaha. And his other account has .05.
debrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:40am   #332
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseambitions View Post
Ok, you do talk a lot of sense, I'll give you that.

lol. 60% account risk. anyone figured out that hes compounding? So stupid. This will always end in tears.
brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:04am   #333
Joined Sep 2010

tkbieber started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
You mean like martingale?
I tried to find the definition as to what you mean by martingale and found this.

It is a method of gambling in which one doubles the stakes after each loss.

More details I found here.

It isn't gambling as much as calculated risk where the odds are with me. However, I will only increase the risk for just a few trades to regain the loss and then lower it again. And, while everything is considered "risky" the chance of having 2 bad trades in a row, well is next to nothing. Just my opinion, of course.
tkbieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:19am   #334
Joined Sep 2010

tkbieber started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettus View Post
lol. 60% account risk. anyone figured out that hes compounding? So stupid. This will always end in tears.
Who is in tears? It's all part of the system. Depends on when one gets in but as I've said, if it goes for several months and then gets hit with a bad trade, it's still up a large percent. In this account, 49.2%. No tears here.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:44am   #335
Joined Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbieber View Post
I tried to find the definition as to what you mean by martingale and found this.

It is a method of gambling in which one doubles the stakes after each loss.

More details I found here.

It isn't gambling as much as calculated risk where the odds are with me. However, I will only increase the risk for just a few trades to regain the loss and then lower it again. And, while everything is considered "risky" the chance of having 2 bad trades in a row, well is next to nothing. Just my opinion, of course.
According to your horrible Sharpe ratios, the odds are not in your favor. Also, making some basic assumptions, your chances of failure per trade can be thought of as independent. Hence, it makes no sense to do something only momentarily, because if it is advantageous to do it for that moment, it should be advantageous to do it forever. Basically, raising the risk for a few trades possibly to recover some of your losses is just something your weak psychology needs to adjust itself to the loss. Unfortunately, the catharsis is just delusion: all you've done is made things even worse by putting more risk into your horrible trading system.
debrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:51am   #336
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrox View Post
According to your horrible Sharpe ratios, the odds are not in your favor. Also, making some basic assumptions, your chances of failure per trade can be thought of as independent. Hence, it makes no sense to do something only momentarily, because if it is advantageous to do it for that moment, it should be advantageous to do it forever. Basically, raising the risk for a few trades possibly to recover some of your losses is just something your weak psychology needs to adjust itself to the loss. Unfortunately, the catharsis is just delusion: all you've done is made things even worse by putting more risk into your horrible trading system.
crazy...its not working so lets play roulette. Red will come in eventually if i keep betting on it, if i lose just keep doubling my bet. Why don't you just do this? It's a lot faster.
brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:47am   #337
Joined Sep 2010

tkbieber started this thread You guys crack me up.

Anyway. On to tonight's trade. Looks like I may get a trade in tonight. Now I'm off to bed.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:10pm   #338
mjj
Joined Mar 2005

One pip today...only 249 now required to recover from yesterday
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:15pm   #339
Joined Sep 2010

tkbieber started this thread Sure enough, I got a trade but just +2 pips.

On the road to recovery.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:24pm   #340

Joined Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbieber View Post
It isn't gambling as much as calculated risk where the odds are with me. However, I will only increase the risk for just a few trades to regain the loss and then lower it again.
Don't pull the "it's not gambling, it's calculated risk" crap on me. I've heard it all before. Your strategy is when you lose you go bigger on your next trades so you make the losses back fast. Is that a false statement or accurate?

Out of interest....why are you taking so few pips? You had a trade where you made 30 pips and made just over $9 and then you have other trades where you take 2 pips and make $40. Are you just rapidly averaging positions as they go against you and then when you see a little bit of profit getting out?
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote