Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

This is a discussion on Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4 within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; It is kind of hard to be positive about the future of an MT4 spreadbet platform (or the continued use ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:30pm   #2150
Joined Aug 2010
Re: Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

It is kind of hard to be positive about the future of an MT4 spreadbet platform (or the continued use of MT4 at all). MT5 is a USA only product and unless the rest of the planet decides to follow US rules on hedging etc it will always be. This sort of means MT4 is getting end of life really.
Mata Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:08pm   #2151
Joined Nov 2010

Average ping for me is 55ms, live in Yorkshire and only have 2mb broadband at the moment (Virgin account piggybacking off some old BT lines)
geewcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:12pm   #2152

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
just my tuppeny on MT4.

I had a look at it and........

The programming language looks like Greek to me
The origin is Moscow, so if there is a legal dispute - forget it
There is no adequate primer on the MQL programming language - might be one in Russian but I don't think I have enough time left on this planet to master both
If I was going to have a serious go at programming then I would choose NinjaTrader with its C# language. Loads of books around on C# too. And written in English ( well American English, which is similiar, sort of )

Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:26pm   #2153
Joined Apr 2011

Quote:
If I was going to have a serious go at programming then I would choose NinjaTrader with its C# language. Loads of books around on C# too. And written in English ( well American English, which is similiar, sort of )
"There is no adequate primer on the MQL programming language" ???

Try:
http://docs.mql4.com/

The MQL programming language is a basic language and does the job. C# is a much more sophisticated language.

Your choice is simple, if you use MT4 use MQL, if you use NinjaTrader use C#. Your selection based on language is irrelevant.
Baby Clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:39pm   #2154
Joined Aug 2010

Quote:
C# is a very 'pretty' language to work with. Like many others (including MQL) its derived from c so once you know how to use one c derived language you can pick up others quite quickly. The problem isnt the syntax, its the framework. for example:

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
}

is an example of a loop in c#. Its also exactly the same as mql. The syntax for both languages is almost identical. The frameworks behind them though are worlds apart.
Mata Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:55pm   #2155

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Clanger View Post
"There is no adequate primer on the MQL programming language" ???

Try:
http://docs.mql4.com/

The MQL programming language is a basic language and does the job. C# is a much more sophisticated language.

Your choice is simple, if you use MT4 use MQL, if you use NinjaTrader use C#. Your selection based on language is irrelevant.
adequate ? - I don't think it is nearly adequate and yes I did find it but that's about all there is.

Therefore the selection of language is relevent - to me anyway

The downside of NT is the cost of intraday + data feed

An SB company might carry that cost too, like tax

Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:15pm   #2156
Joined Apr 2011

Quote:
adequate ? - I don't think it is nearly adequate and yes I did find it but that's about all there is.

Therefore the selection of language is relevent - to me anyway

The downside of NT is the cost of intraday + data feed

An SB company might carry that cost too, like tax
But if you can't afford the NT data feed then you have no choice, decision made. I would love to use NT, the back testing system is excellent, but can't justify the cost of the feed so I use MT4.

I'm writing my own indicators for MT4 including DLL imports written in C and Pascal only using what I've found on the Internet, so the knowledge is out there.

And as Mata Nui mentioned earlier, both languages are very similar anyway.
Baby Clanger is offline   Reply With Quote