Trading Without Charts?

This is a discussion on Trading Without Charts? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; queers...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:03pm   #61
Joined May 2008
queers
Technically Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: TAjammy
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:41am   #62
Joined Apr 2009
So, many are using chart to trade. or the other way?
MoreYummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:48am   #63
Joined Jan 2009
can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAjammy View Post
i was just suggesting a scalping technique
yes you can trade without charts,or scalp if thats what we will call it,and the only thing you can trade is the price,when its moving jump on,get off,when price tells you too.its not easy, there,s nothing as queer as folk
bangkokgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:26pm   #64
 
oiltanker's Avatar
Joined Mar 2007
by charts does that mean candle, bar, line?

there are other charts that don't have time on them. which is a different type of trading.
__________________
OT
oiltanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:06pm   #65
Joined Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technically Fundamental View Post
got the image off google... why are you being such a bell end lately?
perhaps because he`s not familiar with The Paramouncy Principle.
T2W Day Trading & Forex Community

Emotional self-control: keeping disruptive emotions and impulses under control.

shatztrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:24pm   #66
Joined Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyTzu View Post
why would you ever wanna trade without charts
"Because charts lie"

I for one don't use price charts in my approach and know a number of other traders employing different styles who also don't use price charts in any meaningful way.

Better to learn to think clearly, but then again each to their own.

Regards

John1
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tenbobtrader , trader_dante
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:56am   #67
Joined Nov 2008
"Because charts lie"


How so?
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:38pm   #68
Joined Feb 2002
Hi John1 - Charts don't lie, theyn tell the absolute truth - about the past. But the conclusions people draw from them on future price action can be unreliable and the blind faith they put in these, encouraged by system vendors, is dangerous.

By which I mean, faulty TA is no reason not to use charts, its an argument for better TA. Its very possible to trade successfully without charts but doing so because one's TA is poor is not guarantee of success at scalping etc.

Last edited by tomorton; Sep 5, 2009 at 1:40pm. Reason: Further thoughts
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:06am   #69
Joined Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Hi John1 - Charts don't lie, theyn tell the absolute truth - about the past. But the conclusions people draw from them on future price action can be unreliable and the blind faith they put in these, encouraged by system vendors, is dangerous.

By which I mean, faulty TA is no reason not to use charts, its an argument for better TA. Its very possible to trade successfully without charts but doing so because one's TA is poor is not guarantee of success at scalping etc.
My view ( one familar to other successful speculators that I know) is that the past has no relevance as in order to be successful the here and now is what matters, not the past. I thought it reasonable that readers would also realize this and understand my comment! No matter what behavior is reflected in the chart, nobody, except someone manipulating that market, can know with any semblance of certainty whether the next tick will be up or down and therefore a trend continuation or the begining of a reversal. And there is the basis of my comment!

Based on the previous paragraph, it shouldn't be to hard to deduce my observations on TA/Indicators as generally these are based on past ( of no relevance) charts/volume.

Once again I advocate clear objective thinking rather than subjective wishful thinking!

Good Trading!
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:56am   #70
Joined Feb 2002
Many thanks John1 - As a reader, I understand that you believe that past price action has no bearing on the future. Its just that I don't agree with it. It seems very clear to most people that support and resistance, the fundamental demonstrations of the behaviour of market participants - who DO have a memory of price and DO know at what price they entered / exited a given instrument, such that this IS likely to influence their future behaviour towards the instrument - and these being the unseen building blocks of most clear chart patterns - DO have an influence on future price behaviour.

I think your stricture that there needs to be a semblance of certainty is too harsh - whatever method is used to time / place an entry / exit, it can only be based on probability, and talk of certainty is a redf herring. Any tick can be a reversal, or mererly a congestion move preceding continuation, but, to my konowldege, there is no methodology, TA or otherwise that will eliminate this doubt.

I don't dispute that it is possible to trade successfully WITHOUT charts, and I said so very early in this thread. Its just that I cannot accept it is impossible to trade successfully WITH charts.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:01pm   #71
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.
 
Trader333's Avatar
Joined Jan 2003
In my view if you have an instrument trending in MTF then there is a high statistical probability that it will continue to trend. A likely reversal in all TF being observed on the next tick is extremely low and as such historical prices are of significance. To say that the price history is not relevant does not make sense to me and many traders I know use key support and resistance levels with price action to trade profitably on a consistent basis. To me the alternative is random price entry.


Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:24pm   #72
Joined Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr6196 View Post
I would agree, enough people make decisions based on past price action to warrant it as a factor in future price moves. And i think more importantly, price shows you where people bought and where they sold and you can see where they are vulnerable. A belief i have is that context is one of the most important factors in a move and i think when you see a significant high/low breached and you see the panic, that is confirmed. Maybe when people didn't have access to charts this wouldn't be so, but i think this is the way it is now.
Hi,
It would be unrealistic for me to say that chart reading/ Indicators cannot be profitable, but rather that I'm yet to know anyone personally, myself included, ( where I can verify ) who has made consistant major money using only traditional chart reading and /or Indicators in the 15 years I've been at this. It takes a far greater understanding of the particular markets' behavior, this I suggest gives the edge that makes the difference, even if the particular person were to scream "charts, PA, indicators or any number of other approaches as their reason for success.

One of the things I enjoy about the markets is that at some point we all get to take responsibility for our choices!

Mate, you've just got to love capitalism!

Trader333, how many times have you seen a break-out where many people jump on just in time to see the move reverse and rocket the other way. Everything, charts, indicators,PA, etc was saying hop aboard yet you got your butt handed to you? You can argue - tight stops - but there's a recipe to die a death of a thousand cuts with a reduction in the number of trades or increased risk, then again try wide stops, suddenly the RR starts to look like 2-1, 3-1 against or worse, another recipe for disaster, but at least you won't have to suffer the thousand cuts as it will be over quickly. Don't worry we've all been there myself included, the important question is " how long do you want to stay there", only you can decide.

To be perfectly clear here,I'm not offering anything more than my comments.

Ultimately the markets are a war zone, do whatever you need to win, increase you account balance, as long as it's done legally there are no comebacks. Somebody mentioned scalping in an earlier comment, having been a full time screen slave in the past I can't think of an approach that I would find more distasteful, but once again each to their own.

Good Trading
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:59pm   #73
Joined Jun 2008
Yeah i agree, my belief is that the technique isn't important. If someone has built up ideas of how the market works or has a system or as you say understands the behavior of the market that i think is more important than any "technique"/"method", or whatever you want to call it. It just so happens that my beliefs present TA as a good technique for me. But again i would say, TA is profitable, which is really meaningless looking at what i have said above.

I don't know anyone who is successful without using TA in some form (i'm not as experienced) but i don't see that as a reliable outlook for what does and doesn't work. I think for every person i know there are hundreds more people making double, using something i think is ridiculous such as astrology or whatever.
cr6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:39pm   #74
Joined Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr6196 View Post
Yeah i agree, my belief is that the technique isn't important. If someone has built up ideas of how the market works or has a system or as you say understands the behavior of the market that i think is more important than any "technique"/"method", or whatever you want to call it. It just so happens that my beliefs present TA as a good technique for me. But again i would say, TA is profitable, which is really meaningless looking at what i have said above.

I don't know anyone who is successful without using TA in some form (i'm not as experienced) but i don't see that as a reliable outlook for what does and doesn't work. I think for every person i know there are hundreds more people making double, using something i think is ridiculous such as astrology or whatever.
Hi,
You probably noticed my reference to "traditional charting/ TA", there was a reason. I have developed and run over the years various proprietry mathematical models to trade off that might loosely be termed a form of TA at a stretch of the imagination, although not derived from price charts or indicators as these have a major tendancy to fail at the most inconvenient times.

Good Trading
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 4:48pm   #75
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.
 
Trader333's Avatar
Joined Jan 2003
Quote:
how many times have you seen a break-out where many people jump on just in time to see the move reverse and rocket the other way
In my view this depends on which timeframe is being traded relative to the next one up and what the position size is relative to the volatility of the market being traded. I wasn't talking about breakouts but that trends rarely start the very next tick in all timeframes at once.

I don't disagree that charts are not needed but to say that they are useless is not how I see it. In view of you not using charts then how do you decided when and how to take a trade ?


Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr. Charts Trading Set up timsk Stocks 3 Sep 7, 2008 8:15pm
Anyone Trading on 4hr Charts ? Iqbal Forex 41 May 25, 2006 8:27am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)