Trading: directional or non directional?

This is a discussion on Trading: directional or non directional? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I make this thread because, with a forum in which majority are losers, i think it'd be interesting to highlight ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:58pm   #1
Joined May 2010
Trading: directional or non directional?

I make this thread because, with a forum in which majority are losers, i think it'd be interesting to highlight that directional trading may be a cause, or not. Directional trading to me is using discretion...like buying support etc , non directional stuff like arbitrage and spreads.

what way do you trade? do you have any opinions on the other ?
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:08pm   #2
Joined Sep 2009
Re: Trading: directional or non directional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartsy View Post
I make this thread because, with a forum in which majority are losers, i think it'd be interesting to highlight that directional trading may be a cause, or not. Directional trading to me is using discretion...like buying support etc , non directional stuff like arbitrage and spreads.

what way do you trade? do you have any opinions on the other ?
Directional, buying support etc as you said. So far so good this year +35%, but all could change...!
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:09pm   #3

Joined Oct 2008

directional with hedging. 40% for june.

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:10pm   #4
Joined Dec 2008

I think all types of trading require the same basic traits (discipline, resilience to losses, etc) in order to be successful, regardless of whether you're picking direction or doing arb.
JRP2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:28pm   #5
Joined Jan 2009

What's the hypothesis here, that directional trading is bad?
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:32pm   #6

Joined May 2008

''Directional trading to me is using discretion...''

What a strange statement to make. Directional trading can be done using a mechanical system therefore by definition there will be no discretion involved.

R

Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:32pm   #7

Joined Jan 2007

It is a rare trade that is completely non directional.

Now you can say "but the view wasn't taken on the direction of the market" - and yet I could give counter examples to both the logical possibilities there.

For example, you can take a non directional view by shorting a stock, typically.

Or you can take a directional view by buying straddles or calendar spreads. In fact with the latter, in certain circumstances, you've just changed your non directional view on a commodity to a directional view on interest rates...

Anyhow, just think of price as one axis, think of trading as multidimensional... a field... then everything is directional
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote