Learning profitable automated trading

This is a discussion on Learning profitable automated trading within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by gooseman funnily enough I have met one of the board members of LTCM on a couple of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:19am   #301
Joined Mar 2007
Re: Learning profitable automated trading

oildaytrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
funnily enough I have met one of the board members of LTCM on a couple of occasions.

What ere they doing?They were taking positions without stops , like members of the 95% club.Just one of their positions had to go belly up, for LTCM to go bust.These were geniuses in other fields,BUT REAL IDIOTS of trading.

Did they really know how to trade?
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:30am   #302
Joined Feb 2008

as ever nobhead, exiting a position in the instruments they traded were not as easy as entering a guaranteed stop loss with a spreadbetter on EURUSD at £1 pp. especially when the street knows you're hurting.

their basis was just model driven RV trading-what killed them was leverage.
gooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:37am   #303
Joined Mar 2007

Quote:
as ever nobhead, exiting a position in the instruments they traded were not as easy as entering a guaranteed stop loss with a spreadbetter on EURUSD at £1 pp. especially when the street knows you're hurting.

their basis was just model driven RV trading-what killed them was leverage.
Ordinary traders don't have leverage on futures?Poor money management is more appropriate.

Why are people comparing apples and oranges ?

What happens when two knobs meet?They have a cockfight.
oildaytrader is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:39am   #304
Joined Feb 2008

are you on a wind-up?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:42am   #305

Joined Sep 2005

Quote:
funnily enough I have met one of the board members of LTCM on a couple of occasions.
Have you ever met Mr Merriwether? I hear he's starting up another fund.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:02pm   #306
Joined Feb 2008

no not him. doesn't surprise me tho
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:42pm   #307
Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildaytrader View Post
Ordinary traders don't have leverage on futures?Poor money management is more appropriate.

Why are people comparing apples and oranges ?

What happens when two knobs meet?They have a cockfight.
ODT. Either a) you are a random sentence generating robot or b) a total ****wit. My money is on b).

(by the way, the guys at LTCM may all be idiots, but they are thousands of times richer than you, and actually have lives)
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:44pm   #308
Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Have you ever met Mr Merriwether? I hear he's starting up another fund.
Is this true? He only recently closed his last loss-making fund.. who would invest with him now?

He's a smart cookie, he's made a fortune for himself over the years. Shame he only ever lost money for his clients.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:09pm   #309
Joined Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanreversion View Post
Is this true? He only recently closed his last loss-making fund.. who would invest with him now?

He's a smart cookie, he's made a fortune for himself over the years. Shame he only ever lost money for his clients.
It is who you know and he knows a lot of people on Wall street.The saying "Nobody ever made money for somebody else" has worked for centuries.

The whole hedge fund industry is designed to screw pensions.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:26pm   #310
Joined Jan 2009

ODT

Do you have any idea how full of sh1t you are. Why do you think people want to listen to the drivel you spout. You claim to be hard at work on some new system, alongside running 40 other systems, yet you are constantly posting all day long on t2w. You're so totally full of sh1t, you're beyoned pathetic. I doubt you even trade.