Darkpools.

This is a discussion on Darkpools. within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; I just googled ‘Dark pool’ and did a quick read. This is an old practise and far from sinister as ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 19, 2007, 11:26pm   #17
Joined Jun 2006
I just googled ‘Dark pool’ and did a quick read.

This is an old practise and far from sinister as may have been implied. When I was in stockbroking the practise was known as making an ‘agency-cross’, or a ‘matched bargain’ ie you had a buyer and seller of stock XYZ and matched them (don’t know if the broker kept the spread, though).

As mentioned in the google article, this is cheaper than trading through the exchanges. However, the lack of transparency could be a double-edged sword; while anonymity may be advantageous, if something is amiss there has to be a case for public disclosure.

NT,

I haven’t checked the price Glazer paid for his stakes but I suspect it would have been at a premium. Given his history, I doubt McManus and Magnier would have settled for less – I’m sure there was a Russian oligarch or two waiting to step in should he have failed.

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 7:15am   #18
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by options View Post
Ta Split.

I know you are well up on the shares scene. .
I've got a lot of experience. Take that how you like

But I am willing to post my numerous mistakes for others not to follow

Split

Last edited by Splitlink; May 20, 2007 at 7:46am.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:32am   #19

Joined Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander View Post
You may find this article in MarketWatch interesting.

Alex
Thanks Alex.

Very interesting article.

"Adapt or die!" Said the Coackroach to the Dinosaur.

Beware of false signals bearing gifts.

"I have seen the enemy...and it is me."

Follow the path of least resistance.
options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:05am   #20
Joined Feb 2007
Paul71 started this thread Thanks for the input guys. I guess darkpools are not the sinnister and underhand shadow of the markets that i first thought they were. Then again, if there was anything untoward in the nature of darkpools i'm sure they would not be advertised all over the internet? Food for thought though, at least.

Thanks.
Paul71 is offline   Reply With Quote