Nice Big Thick Tick

DionysusToast

Legendary member
All

It has come to my attention that not all ticks are made equal...

Actually, thing is, I once feared the big tick. Now I find myself looking for something bigger but without sacrificing thickness. Still, I don't want a tick that doesn't move up & down much either. I want a wiggly tick.

On the surface, the ES looks like the perfect instrument. $12.50 a tick, very little slippage, it moves a decent amount too. Still - if you were scalping out ticks here & there, the commissions are a little on the hefty side. In fact, if you were scalping out a point at a time, the commissions would be 8% of your target.

Treasuries have bigger ticks $15.625 and $31.25 and commissions are almost half of commissions on the ES. Wonderful BUT the things barely move.

Is there a middle ground here? Something thick with a small commission, a decent $ per tick and that actually moves more than a few ticks an hour?

DT

All

Actually, thing is, I once feared the big tick. Now I find myself looking for something bigger but without sacrificing thickness. Still, I don't want a tick that doesn't move up & down much either. I want a wiggly tick.

On the surface, the ES looks like the perfect instrument. $12.50 a tick, very little slippage, it moves a decent amount too. Still - if you were scalping out ticks here & there, the commissions are a little on the hefty side. In fact, if you were scalping out a point at a time, the commissions would be 8% of your target.

Treasuries have bigger ticks $15.625 and $31.25 and commissions are almost half of commissions on the ES. Wonderful BUT the things barely move.

Is there a middle ground here? Something thick with a small commission, a decent $ per tick and that actually moves more than a few ticks an hour?

DT

Bund and eurostoxx, similar tick size, less commission.

Eurostoxx is 4 Euros per r/t on IB with a paltry 8 Euros per tick

Not sure about the Bund - same for FGBL- although both are fairly thick. The Eurostoxx is certainly too thick to play for 8 Euros per tick with a 4 Euro target - for me anyway.

Eurostoxx is 4 Euros per r/t on IB with a paltry 8 Euros per tick

Not sure about the Bund - same for FGBL- although both are fairly thick. The Eurostoxx is certainly too thick to play for 8 Euros per tick with a 4 Euro target - for me anyway.

It's 10 euros a tick and about 2 in commissions if you look around.

All

DT

Bund.
Size matters.

It's 10 euros a tick and about 2 in commissions if you look around.

(y):smart::smart:

Duh - I got 8 because to test the comissions & tick size, I placed trades in the markets.

Note to self 10 - 2 = 8.

Still, 10 Euros is about the same as the ES in terms of tick size. I guess the treasuries do take some beating in that respect then...

hat's all such things cost, alright. BUT, there ARE places that 'prey' on, shall we say, 'financially compromised' people. Places like Rent-a-Center. Miss one payment and that 'no interest' thing is out the window. (y)

Do any of your posts make sense??

Peter