Time-Frame diversification

This is a discussion on Time-Frame diversification within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Most of T2W traders seem to be day-traders. Nothing wrong in that. Except that you have to drag your sorry ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:28am   #1

Joined Jan 2004
Time-Frame diversification

Most of T2W traders seem to be day-traders.
Nothing wrong in that.
Except that you have to drag your sorry ass over to the computer each and every day.

How long before you decided to use a larger TF and trade over multi-days, and take some of the daily pressure off yourself?

Day-trading is fine. But surely having a longer-term view as well helps to ride out equity blips, and helps to take pressure off if you dont have the day to trade.

What proportion of your account is for day-trading, and what proportion for larget TFs?

At what point did you use longer TFs as part of your overall strategy?
How many still have day-trading as their only strategy?
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:35am   #2

Joined May 2003
Re: Time-Frame diversification

i dare say this will be of precious little use in answering, but:

my main account is 100% daily TF
my play account is 100% day-trading
my play account is about 10% of my main account
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:47am   #3

Joined Jan 2003

Ditto Barjon's answer re his 1st part (I don't have a play a/c.) A lot of mis-information in the Thread Starter's post - above, ie some of the statements/assumptions are wrong/misleading/not always true. Horses for courses.

G/L

Last edited by bbmac; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:07am.
bbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:51am   #4
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post
Most of T2W traders seem to be day-traders.
Nothing wrong in that.
Except that you have to drag your sorry ass over to the computer each and every day.

How long before you decided to use a larger TF and trade over multi-days, and take some of the daily pressure off yourself?

Day-trading is fine. But surely having a longer-term view as well helps to ride out equity blips, and helps to take pressure off if you dont have the day to trade.

What proportion of your account is for day-trading, and what proportion for larget TFs?

At what point did you use longer TFs as part of your overall strategy?
How many still have day-trading as their only strategy?
when 1 trade a week can pay my bills........?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:43pm   #5
Joined Apr 2006

I don't like longer duration trades mainly because my method requires a statistically valid sample size for the purpose of monitoring.

However, I do diversify based on time-frame in as much I run the same system based on analysis based on 5,15,30 min time-frames. I tend to find periods where maybe the 5 min variant works significantly better than the 15 and 30 min variants, and then everything swaps, and maybe the 30 min variant does well for 6 months or so. Personally I don't think its possible to trade "simple" TA based systems without diversification
the hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:22pm   #6

Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by the hare View Post
I don't like longer duration trades mainly because my method requires a statistically valid sample size for the purpose of monitoring.

However, I do diversify based on time-frame in as much I run the same system based on analysis based on 5,15,30 min time-frames. I tend to find periods where maybe the 5 min variant works significantly better than the 15 and 30 min variants, and then everything swaps, and maybe the 30 min variant does well for 6 months or so. Personally I don't think its possible to trade "simple" TA based systems without diversification
I disagree, my basket of methods are probably the simplest of anyone on this forum. To be more specific, my charts don't have anything overlayed. I do just fine using what would be considered TA, however simple it may be, without diversification
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:43pm   #7
Joined Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
I disagree, my basket of methods are probably the simplest of anyone on this forum....
Presumably you selecting a single method from the "basket" based on experience
the hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:14pm   #8
Joined Sep 2008

My strategies involve ONLY day trading, whether it's ES, forex, or US equities. Occasionally and ONLY in forex will I keep a trade open overnight if I opened it during the Asian session...rarely though. Even though I am at the computer everyday my trades are executed in a calm rational manner. I find that my temperament is best suited for short quick trades so that I am not at market risk for long periods of time. Honestly, I cannot sleep with open trades. That comes from years of getting battered in long term stock trades. I am stress-free (well, almost!) and comfortable with my trading style.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:16pm   #9
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

lets face it every TF has both its attractions and also challenges........

I think lower TF's get a lot of bad press from people who just dont understand the markets well enough to realise that "higher timeframes are more reliable" is such a cliche

N
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:39pm   #10

Joined Jul 2008
I really can't speak of any market other than spot fx, I do follow them but don't trade them. I realise those "pure" markets provide opportunities on all time frames. Spot fx however is unique in that it serves various functions. I don't need to go into details as I expect everyone knows what I am referring to. Small time frames surface activity which doesn't conform to archetypal speculation which increases risk. The bigger timeframe clearly define where money is moving and thus is far easier to trade.
You say it's a cliché, I say it's sensible business.
forker is offline   Reply With Quote