Losing it all! (loosing)

This is a discussion on Losing it all! (loosing) within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; So then you admit your risk parameters were sh*t i.e. relied on your ability to deal with your emotions and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:46pm   #29

Joined Apr 2010
Re: Losing it all! (loosing)

So then you admit your risk parameters were sh*t i.e. relied on your ability to deal with your emotions and you have now developed your psychological make up to make your risk parameters effective. How then, is my post #20 statement a platitude?

I swear the people on this site could argue with a shadow over it's shade of black.

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: new_trader
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:52pm   #30

Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scose-no-doubt View Post
So then you admit your risk parameters were sh*t i.e. relied on your ability to deal with your emotions and you have now developed your psychological make up to make your risk parameters effective. How then, is my post #20 statement a platitude?

I swear the people on this site could argue with a shadow over it's shade of black.
What I meant was it's easy just to utter them. Most people read a trading book and rattle off platitudes they've just read, but, as someone once said, in an abnormal situation normal people behave abnormally.

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |

Last edited by new_trader; Jan 23, 2012 at 3:57pm.
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: scose-no-doubt
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:59pm   #31

Joined Apr 2010

I agree. The main reason I stopped trading is my inability to accept losers. Whether that's to do with me being unwilling to accept I was wrong or whether I was trading too high a stake and unable to let go of the money I'm still unsure. When I've built up a big enough pot to have a go I'll find out.

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:00pm   #32

Joined Dec 2009

I would guess the thing about system trading is that you aren't really 'in touch' with the market in the same way a discretionary trader is.

Surely this means that it takes longer to figure out that things aren't going right.

With discretionary trading, the feedback is immediate.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:01pm   #33

Joined Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
1) I traded a mechanical system to start with and that required a number of account top ups until I finally gave up and realised that mechanical trading is bullsh!t.
Ummm correction: your mechanical trading is bull****.

I've been using mechanical systems for years, and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:09pm   #34

Joined Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
You want to place yourself in a group of successful people, this is understandable.

Of course, some people have tried, failed, dusted themselves off and become successful.

Many, many more traders have tried, failed and eventually given up, run out of money or run out of spousal patience.

Which group you will eventually be in remains to be seen. It is largely irrelevant whether any individual trader has blown up and consequently made it.

You blow up through excessive risk, which you may or may not have been aware of.

It's not a particularly smart thing to do. People that do it claim to have learnt their lesson. Usually the lesson is - "don't go all in". It's all down to risk appetite & greed.

I'll admit to being a plodder when it comes to trading. I do not aspire to becoming the next George Soros.
of course it was excessive risk. i have 100% tolerance to risk. it does not bother me..which is obviously a very bad trait to have.

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:10pm   #35

Joined Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by scose-no-doubt View Post
I agree. The main reason I stopped trading is my inability to accept losers. Whether that's to do with me being unwilling to accept I was wrong or whether I was trading too high a stake and unable to let go of the money I'm still unsure. When I've built up a big enough pot to have a go I'll find out.
you dont even trade lol, yet you spout out bs like your the messiah.

i may say alot of outrageous things on here, but i do actually have a couple of feathers in my cap.

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote