Are you proud to be a British citizen?

This is a discussion on Are you proud to be a British citizen? within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Generally speaking, as a 21st century British citizen, are you proud of GB, and proud to be a GB citizen ...

View Poll Results: Are you proud to be British?
Proud to be British 24 60.00%
Neutral 13 32.50%
Being British is something I'd prefer to keep quiet, if possible 2 5.00%
Embarrased to be British 3 7.50%
Ashamed to be British 2 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:31am   #1
Joined Dec 2002
Question Are you proud of being a British Citizen?

Generally speaking, as a 21st century British citizen, are you proud of GB, and proud to be a GB citizen - in terms of what to you GB offers, and what to you GB represents?

Last edited by JTrader; Mar 29, 2007 at 12:30pm.
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:18am   #2
Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrader
Generally speaking, as a 21st century British citizen, are you proud of GB, and proud to be a GB citizen - in terms of what to you GB offers, and what to you GB represents?
Absolutely.............................
Having travelled the world over, and being of ethinic origin and an immigrant into UK. I was welcommed by the Brits, have suffered very little racism. I think looking at the Indians and the way they prosper in the UK, shows that UK is the place where talent will be recognised.

I think UK is a very fair nation ( I mean the people) NOT the politician.
and YES proud to be British

I wish we will be more independant from the blooody yanks
I hate Yanks, really do( the govt - not the people)
Marwan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: the blades
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:43am   #3
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Yes, I am. We're not perfect but who is?

Split
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:56am   #4
Joined Jul 2006
What is there to be proud of exactly ?
yacarob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:09am   #5

Joined Jan 2004
a very interesting question - one that has been raging here in the office (curretn contract) for a couple of days.

I have voted neutral.

My standpoint is I did nothing to "earn or deserve" being british. I am british by birth. (even though I am ethnically indian)

(did anybody fill in a form, or pass an exam to be born in the UK, as opposed to be born into a poor family in Somalia?)

I am british by LUCK. How can you be proud of a random event?

EDIT: one of the guys here is proud to be from Yorkshire. same logic. random event!
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:15am   #6
Joined Jul 2006
Yes, I tend to agree.

Pride comes with achievement.

Being born British is not an achievement.

Hence there is no pride in being British.

Mind you I am sometimes embarrassed and even ashamed when people like Blair start wars and kill people indiscriminately.

On balance I am neutral.
yacarob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:23am   #7

Joined May 2003
Quote:
..............are you proud of GB,?..........................
I think the key is in the first part of the question. Yes, I am proud of GB. I moan about "the state of the nation" quite a lot and I'm rather less proud than I used to be - but that's probably a symptom of advancing years

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:52am   #8
Joined Dec 2002
JTrader started this thread Having thought about it, I've selected options 2-5.

I've selected neutral because i cannot be proud of an event that i had no control of - being born in the UK, or being born in a particular county.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed by GB's role in war.

I am embarrassed and ashamed at the British government generally.

I cannot claim to be proud of being English. The main opportunities for active leisure seem to be binge drinking, dogging , shopping, the gym (which i enjoy, but it is a bit sterile and indoorsy, and makes me feel a bit like a rat in a cage running around its wheel, but the gym is a good meeting place) & getting stuck in traffic jams.

I cannot claim to be proud of the (particularly) English (maybe Western) materialistic philosophy that most people I know seem to adopt.
I dislike the notion of buying into a system whereby this seems to be highly valued - working every hour god sends to afford a modest house full of top gadgets, but living in an urban area (like around 80% of the population) where there is not a lot to do during leisure time, or space to do it in.

But although there is an element of embarrassment and shame, there really shouldn't be, as there is no reason why any of this should reflect on me as an individual.

Perhaps embarrassment and shame, and any small desire to keep my nationality quiet only come into the equation, if i meet people from a "nicer" (IMO) country...

I believe there are far worse places to live than England, and also some considerably better places.

My pros & cons of GB -

I like the climate, but would prefer it to be slightly cooler all year round.

I dislike the fact that i live in a vastly over-priced country, in terms of the quality of life that money can bring.

I dislike the fact that i live in an over populated country, where the roads are jam packed.

The GB landscape is fairly mundane IMO, in comparison to "better" countries like Canada, NZ, France, Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Sweden.
As a result, generally, opportunities for high quality outdoor leisure activities are limited IMO, especially in England.

I would be fairly proud to be Scottish, and perhaps Welsh also, if I lived in a nice rural and peaceful part of Scotland (abd maybe Wales), as I believe the layout of these countries (especially Scotland) is more condusive to my interests and values.

I can't really criticise England for the quality of its -
shopping malls, pubs, nightclubs, mainstream sport & leisure facilities, cinemas, theatres, art galleries, architectural history, CCTV surveillance systems.

Generally, I like & perhaps feel most comfortable with British people, and the British sense of humour.

Naturally there are several quieter regions in England that I like - such as Cumbria, Northhumberland, County Durham, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Norfolk.
I generally dislike densely urbanised/populated regions.

Britain is super for urbanites, who adore the cafe culture, shops, theatres etc. but not so great for nature & outdoor lovers. Scotland is nice for outdoors people, as is Wales, & rural parts of England such as Cumbria.

Britain has no wilderness'. Although there is countryside, this is mainly farmland - even up in the hills. Therefore you're not really free to do whatever you want in the countryside.

Britain has some super woodland, although not much of it is left.

Britain has a good mixture of wild-life. I like the fact that there are no highly venomous creatures. A few wolves, lynx & bears would make the countryside more exciting though!

Nice beaches exist in all four corners of Great Britain.

Britain has some super golf-courses, especially Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland, albeit golf is an elitist sport, vastly over-priced.

Last edited by JTrader; Mar 29, 2007 at 8:12am.
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:02am   #9

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie

EDIT: one of the guys here is proud to be from Yorkshire. same logic. random event!
I'm proud to be British and more proud to be from Yorkshire (but that goes without saying ).

Seriously, I think most people get far too hung up with what's wrong with their country, rather than what's right. Ask Split - he's so proud he moved to Spain (only joking Split!)

UTB
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:02am   #10

Joined Jun 2005
For those who do not have anything good to say about the UK, why do you stay?
0007 is online now   Reply With Quote