Are indicators worthless?

This is a discussion on Are indicators worthless? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; I ditched stochastic's a long time ago. Recently, I pulled it up again to have another look at it, as ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:11am   #1

Joined Mar 2012
Are indicators worthless?

I ditched stochastic's a long time ago. Recently, I pulled it up again to have another look at it, as I thought that maybe I had missed something. I didn't. I'm thoroughly convinced that I could draw a random squiggly line across the bottom of a chart and have just as reliable buy/sell signals. I wonder, if I could find a way to test that?
jacknapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:01am   #2
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Are indicators worthless?

Most indicators are worthless because they lag prices. To make money trading you need either a forward looking indicator or in the worst case a coincident indicator. Keep this in mind and it will save you a lot of money. I am not aware of any forward looking indicator, naturally. The closest thing you can get to coincident indicators is price patterns. Google for "price action lab". That program can find many price patterns that have historical win rates you specify. Some will be flukes but some work very well. You can use a cross-validation test to separate the good from the bad. Stay away from indicators. I paid too much using them.
intradaybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:28am   #3
Joined Feb 2002

jack - I very much agree, the best indicator is your eye. You could indeed run a check on the value of indicators but it would be simpler to use a random horizontal line - buy above, sell below?

The only indicator I use at present is moving averages, but only to confirm my perception of trend direction from the price bars themselves. But I am looking at a way of aggregating the shares in an index that are in up / downtrends and giving buy / sell signals on the day to get an idea of market breadth and sentiment.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:23am   #4

Joined Jul 2008
All you need is price
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:45am   #5
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

All indicators are worthless....but some are less worthless than others .....
Trading Forex strengthmeters for over 14 years and happy to help ! What is a Forex Strengthmeter ? http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...rs-basics.html The FXCorrelator - All my Indicators & simple systems http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...ml#post2197030My Profile - http://www.trade2win.com/articles/19...er-profile-nvp
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:12pm   #6
Joined Feb 2012

They're worthless to me. That doesn't have any significance for anyone else of course.
The Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: wackypete2
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:18pm   #7
Joined Apr 2006

they have no predictive power, but they are far from worthless. Quite the opposite in fact.

There's a bit of a problem in that the way people are encouraged to use them is generally not favorable, quite the opposite in fact, but that in itself is almost an edge isn't it.
the hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: wackypete2