Are you a profitable trader?

A lot of BS goes on in this & other forums.Anonymously , Are you a profitable trader?

• Yes for sure - just look at my Ferrari!

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • My low profit levels keep me at/near to the bread line

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I break even

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No - but i pretend that i am a profitable trader on the bulletin boards

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I struggle to break even

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • No - at this rate, soon I'll be relying on handouts and soup kitchens

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

JTrader

A lot of B***S*** goes on in this & other bulletin board forums. This poll is anonymous, so -

Are you an unprofitable trader?
Do you break-even?
Do you make a loss or break-even, but make out to others that you are a profitable trader? eg. perhaps you add a 0 or 00 onto everything ;) .

Last edited:
A lot of B***S*** goes on in this & other bulletin board forums. This poll is anonymous, so -

Are you an unprofitable trader?
Do you break-even?
Do you make a loss or break-even, but make out to others that you are a profitable trader?

Footsie trading has beaten me twice, already and I'm on my third trip. It's early days, yet.

My total for June was 198 points

Last Tuesday I was -28 points on July and resigned to losing more but Wednesday and Thursday I made 134 points and this morning is going well.

Frankly, I view my balance with surprise and will not know how good I am until several more months have passed, although I am sure that my score is peanuts for a lot of traders. However, my score may give hope to others who are a bit disappointed right now.

Make a living out of it? :) :) A bit precarious, I think, but something for the extra pleasures-- yes, provided you spend it at once! Mrs Split makes sure of that!

Oh, I trade with the despised Fins, by the way. They are, probably, all much the same.

Split

...most excellent stuff, only two and a bit trading days to go and thats another positive month...well done Split:)

JT, interesting poll, plenty of Ferrari owners to come I suspect

BTW did you find out what QED was all about from the fib thread:?::confused:

just a paying hobby, jt ;)

my wife's "active investing" and my "trading" have kept us in cars and house extensions over the years - I take care of the wheels and windows :devilish:

good trading

jon

...most excellent stuff, only two and a bit trading days to go and thats another positive month...well done Split:)

:D No, I'm still wondering :eek: . I remember a program on TV called QED :idea: , but not sure what it stood for!.......will have to google it :arrowr: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D.
Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" (literally, "which was to be demonstrated"). The use of this phrase therefore announces the completion of a proof of a previously asserted claim. The phrase is a translation into Latin of the original Greek ὅπερ ἔδει δει̂ξαι. (hoper edei deixai) which was used by many early mathematicians including Euclid[1] and Archimedes. These mathematicians, in particular Euclid, are credited with founding axiomatic mathematics with its emphasis on establishing truths by logical deduction (rather than experimentation or assertion); their use of this phrase symbolizes this emphasis, as well as marking this important step in the development of mathematical philosophy. In modern times, it has become so symbolic of irrefutable logic that "Q.E.D." is occasionally used in non-mathematical contexts as well to intensify assertions; in this context it has little connection with rigorous deduction, however, and is more tongue-in-cheek.

I'm still none the wiser :confused: ;) :!:

Last edited:

quod erat demonstrandum - Which was to be proved. :cool:

quod erat demonstrandum - Which was to be proved. :cool:

Ah, now i get it ;) at first i thought it might have been an insult, this doesn't appear to be the case though, NO DRAMA :D . I'm a bit thick!:D

Last edited:
I am quite open about my performance. At the moment, what holds me back is my discipline. I get bored, impatient etc and then I give IG Index my money. :rolleyes:

On a good day, when I am well-behaved, I can make a reasonable (for a beginner) amount of money eg 20 points a day.

i have recently changed my trading style....or better, i have been forced to change my trading style thanks to my little 4 year old. Also, discipline is an issue.

so, about 2 strategies....daytrading (which i am starting to think that was a bit more like scalping) and swingtrading. the swing trades are only beginning.

daytrading. i do ok, good winners here, and the losers there. pip positive.

swing....early days so tough to extrapolate yet, but
when discipline is enforced, and i get my timing right, and im not time constrained, i can get a good 100-150 pips out of a trade. still 2 weeks into this new trading style, 1st week due to discipline issues, cocked up 1 trade good for +200, and didnt enter 3 trades due to being asleep (average 70 pip per trade missed). second week, 2 swing trades 140pips each, 2 day trades +50 (with discipline) and -30 without discipline. so this new style is encouraging.

literally, i just manage to get break even... hmm... maybe with little profit.. hmm..
i made some money.. then i lost it..
but still.. i dont think i really lost my money..
because everytime i lose my money.. i'll do my research.. i'll ask mself.. what was the mistake.. so.. its like.. the more mistake i made.. the more stuff i know about forex.. then the less mistake i'll make in the future..
so its like.. i pay to learn from the mistake.. experience is the best teacher.. ;)

*just a positive thinking to prevent me from doing crazy stuff when i lost my money*

I've lost money since the start but am now sort of on my way back to breaking even.

If I'm disciplined and follow my plan I can make a few pips each week. Nothing spectacular but at least in the positive.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Yes I am. However I dont set the world on fire though!

From 2002 to 2006 all I did (very successfully) was to scalp woth spread betting companies who had slow feeds and did lots of binaries. In 2006 I made 44k from a starting capital of 10k.

From January this year I gave that up as it just did my head in (stirring in computer screen non-stop 10 hours a day) and I wasnt enjoying the same luck as in 2006. I tried adopting a more professional approach. I bought bundles of books on Candlesticks, Indicators, forex strategies etc....Of course first few months were very rocky but it has stabalised from May.

My strategies make 30-40% a year. Thats would be good if I had at least 200k capital or worked for a hedge fund.

Unfortunately I dont work for hedge fund and my capital is about 10k!!

My strategies make 30-40% a year. Thats would be good if I had at least 200k capital or worked for a hedge fund.

Unfortunately I dont work for hedge fund and my capital is about 10k!!

If your strategy doesn't make you enough to live on just yet and you lack the capital, you can still hold a day job and continue trading:
- Trade the DAX and CAC in the morning before you go to work
- Trade the US markets in the evening after you get back
- Trade EOD
- All of the above

JTrader, doesn't your poll have a category missing?

"No, and I don't feel it it necessary to pretend I am".

After all, the few ferrari owners need an awful lot of losing traders to support their lifestyles.

I personally have blown several accounts over 10 years, and have paper-traded for the last 2 years, and am not at all sure I have it worked out yet. However I won't be putting any more real dough on the line until I have. I suspect I'm not alone, and I trust the ferrari owners appreciate my valuable contributions over the years. ;)

JTrader, doesn't your poll have a category missing?

"No, and I don't feel it it necessary to pretend I am".

After all, the few ferrari owners need an awful lot of losing traders to support their lifestyles.

I personally have blown several accounts over 10 years, and have paper-traded for the last 2 years, and am not at all sure I have it worked out yet. However I won't be putting any more real dough on the line until I have. I suspect I'm not alone, and I trust the ferrari owners appreciate my valuable contributions over the years. ;)

I could have put in several more categories in hindsight.........

One good one i thought of since is - "No, soon I'll be relying on handouts and soup kitchens"

One good one i thought of since is - "No, soon I'll be relying on handouts and soup kitchens"

Indeed. Trading can be highly addictive, and suspect that it must be the cause of many broken marriages, bankruptcies and misery for a lot of people who never quite 'get it' (the elusive attainment of consistent profitability), but feel they are on the verge of doing so (until the pots run out).

i can edit your poll. tell me which other options you want.

j

i can edit your poll. tell me which other options you want.

j

Alrighty! Thanks jacinto

Lets go with -
1.Yes, for sure - just look at my Ferrari!
2. My low profit levels keep me at/near to the bread line
3. I break even
4. I struggle to break even.
5. No - at this rate, soon I'll be relying on handouts and soup kitchens
6. No - I don't make a profit, but i pretend that i do on the bulletin boards

Have a maximum of 2 selections per voter - i.e. so they could vote 4 &6, 4 & 5, or 5 & 6..........

Last edited:
i can only add options or modify existing options. the votes in the poll i cannot touch. please advise to which to modify, and which to add.

j

well proposed numbers -
1. is already present - Yes, for sure - just look at my Ferrari!
3. is already present - I break even
6. is already present/is a slight rewording - No - I don't make a profit, but i pretend that i do on the bulletin boards

Add -
4. I struggle to break even.
5. No - at this rate, soon I'll be relying on handouts and soup kitchens

2. My low profit levels keep me at/near to the bread line - is a modification of -
No - It's bread-line living for me! i.e. they are not consistent. sometimes they make a profit/loss/breakeven. Overall they make small not very significant profits, that barely pay for the basics.

Last edited: