Worldspreads upgraded!

Hi,

I hate to interject in a conversation which has gone on for so long but I would like to point out a small error:

It is possible to trade (the majors) at spreads ranging from 0 to 1 pip plus a commission of $10 to $30 per million per round turn using liquidity amalgamators like Currenex.

There are others available but Currenex is the only one I have used.

The way it works is that they amalgamate the quotes from a dozen or more liquidity providers (UBS, Citi, Barclays, JPM etc) and show the best bid and ask from all of the market makers with a number below to show the size that they are good for that quote in.

Because numerous participants are making their best prices and everyone has a slightly different weighting on their book it is perfectly common to see 0 pip spreads where the bid is from one bank and the ask from another.

The commission is a fraction of a pip and is paid to the clearing broker who provides the service.

I have not used it for a few years but when I did it was great and I frequently got choice prices (no spread).

As this was novel to us at the time we wrote a little script which analysed the data coming through their API to see if the prices would ever cross over so we could score a 1 point (or more) arb. In the 10 months we were checking it never happened but we noted choice prices on EUR/USD over 30% of the time and the net spread was rarely more than a pip (usually half a pip).

Our minimum trade size was 5m back then so it is not for the retail punter but the point is that, if you have access to a wide range of liquidity providers, hedging fx need not cost any more than 1 pip.

If we add to this the effect of having many clients trading at the same time and the self hedging effect this has it is relatively inexpensive to hedge the residual overhang assuming that a flat VaR is desired.

On this basis I am perfectly willing to believe that 1 pip spread betting on the majors is possible for a vendor with a good set of hedging algorithms and access to enough liquidity.

Cheers,

NQR

NotQuiteRandom said:
Hi,

I hate to interject in a conversation which has gone on for so long but I would like to point out a small error:

It is possible to trade (the majors) at spreads ranging from 0 to 1 pip plus a commission of $10 to $30 per million per round turn using liquidity amalgamators like Currenex.

The way it works is that they amalgamate the quotes from a dozen or more liquidity providers (UBS, Citi, Barclays, JPM etc) and show the best bid and ask from all of the market makers with a number below to show the size that they are good for that quote in.

Because numerous participants are making their best prices and everyone has a slightly different weighting on their book it is perfectly common to see 0 pip spreads where the bid is from one bank and the ask from another.

The commission is a fraction of a pip and is paid to the clearing broker who provides the service.

I have not used it for a few years but when I did it was great and I frequently got choice prices (no spread).

As this was novel to us at the time we wrote a little script which analysed the data coming through their API to see if the prices would ever cross over so we could score a 1 point (or more) arb. In the 10 months we were checking it never happened but we noted choice prices on EUR/USD over 30% of the time and the net spread was rarely more than a pip (usually half a pip).

Our minimum trade size was 5m back then so it is not for the retail punter but the point is that, if you have access to a wide range of liquidity providers, hedging fx need not cost any more than 1 pip.

If we add to this the effect of having many clients trading at the same time and the self hedging effect this has it is relatively inexpensive to hedge the residual overhang assuming that a flat VaR is desired.

On this basis I am perfectly willing to believe that 1 pip spread betting on the majors is possible for a vendor with a good set of hedging algorithms and access to enough liquidity.

Cheers,

NQR
Thanks a lot for your interesting post. This is exactly my point, under certain conditions it might be possible to manage 1 point spread on the major currency pairs. At least it is not altogether impossible.

gle101

I'm surprised WS haven't asked you to join them. I am sure they would take you on as PR to replace Marvin when he goes to King Kong country

laptop1 said:
gle101

I'm surprised WS haven't asked you to join them. I am sure they would take you on as PR to replace Marvin when he goes to King Kong country
Hi Laptop,

Flattery won't get you anywhere, ha ha! No really, I am sure Worldspreads in good time will announce Marvin's successor. I guess there will be a lot of work waiting for him, especially in order to keep up with all the members on this thread.

laptop1 said:
gle101

King Kong Country - comments like this belong in the past. Enough said!

FTSE in mouth said:
This thread gets my vote for 'Most Schizophrenic Thread' on T2W :). It all goes so swimmingly for a few days and then goes ballistic. Keep up the good work all.

It is because traders get their heads down and trade on the WS platform. Trading brings out the worst and the best in most. I suppose it is getting use to a platform that is key! Bloomberg advert, "most traders loose money". Well is it the case anymore? Good luck with trading whoever you use!

NotQuiteRandom said:
Hi,

Cheers,

NQR

I totally agree access to enough liquidity will always enable good 2 way business! From a betting angle Betfair would not have survived without good 2 way exchange volumes. This only takes time and a dedicated system that can cope with these trades are essential. Remember what is being asked of WS is to provide a non static super fast live feed on a number of constantly changing prices, in fact thousands. In order to price all of these markets within a milli second of the actual underlying market within the spectrum of the financial trading day would be improbable. We are constantly trying to improve our exchange feeds whilst given traders the best posible entry and exit points. Liquidity is key!

10 Minute 2-mail...

Apologies, I was away for a few days & didn't realise the 10 minute remark caused such a debate. Anyway, here is a copy of the email:

Dear Paul,

We have taken your account off bet referral for the time being. You will
enjoy instant execution from now.

We flag all accounts for bet referral that place trades in currency
markets where the average bet duration is less than 10 minutes.

The short term nature of your trading pattern has placed you in this
category.

This is because the GBPUSD price feed we have is frequently up to 1
second out of date and allows for scalpers to trade inside the price. I
am not suggesting you are one of these scalpers, however, if you can
demonstrate that you are genuinely taking a view on the markets by
holding your positions for an average of 10 minutes or more, then we
will maintain your account on instant execution.

We will review your account regularly based on the above criteria only.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards
Larry Sack
Financial Controller

I understand that some may be able to take advantage from what they are saying, but 10 minutes is a long time....

stevespray said:
Morning Marvin - Any reason for Worldspreads refusing to open an account for me?

Steve.

Not my decision and i will get back to you on that.

MarvinS said:
I totally agree access to enough liquidity will always enable good 2 way business! From a betting angle Betfair would not have survived without good 2 way exchange volumes. This only takes time and a dedicated system that can cope with these trades are essential. Remember what is being asked of WS is to provide a non static super fast live feed on a number of constantly changing prices, in fact thousands. In order to price all of these markets within a milli second of the actual underlying market within the spectrum of the financial trading day would be improbable. We are constantly trying to improve our exchange feeds whilst given traders the best posible entry and exit points. Liquidity is key!

Marv

Bet fair makes its money by charging a commission on winners with no risk - you can not make money by being scalped because a 1 pip spread will not cut - hence the 10 min rule (but I admire your marketing pitch). The real question is why are your feeds so slow and where are you getting them from? If thats addressed you could give DMA to your 'arbers' and everyone would be happy.

qmpma1 said:
Apologies, I was away for a few days & didn't realise the 10 minute remark caused such a debate. Anyway, here is a copy of the email:

Dear Paul,

We have taken your account off bet referral for the time being. You will
enjoy instant execution from now.

We flag all accounts for bet referral that place trades in currency
markets where the average bet duration is less than 10 minutes.

The short term nature of your trading pattern has placed you in this
category.

This is because the GBPUSD price feed we have is frequently up to 1
second out of date and allows for scalpers to trade inside the price. I
am not suggesting you are one of these scalpers, however, if you can
demonstrate that you are genuinely taking a view on the markets by
holding your positions for an average of 10 minutes or more, then we
will maintain your account on instant execution.

We will review your account regularly based on the above criteria only.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards
Larry Sack
Financial Controller

I understand that some may be able to take advantage from what they are saying, but 10 minutes is a long time....

Financial controllers hey!

MarvinS said:
Financial controllers hey!

I thought larry Larry Stack was a compliance officer. well that's what it said on my letters when I had dealings with him, are you under staff Marvin at WS

It would be nice to see meaningful answers toPost #551 and #552

laptop1 said:
I thought larry Larry Stack was a compliance officer. well that's what it said on my letters when I had dealings with him, are you under staff Marvin at WS

It would be nice to see meaningful answers toPost #551 and #552

Before I answer you! Are you still trading with WS?

MarvinS said:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me!

I have just received a PM from Marvin saying, I have been taken off referral and put on instant execution :D

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

:D