Worldspreads upgraded!

yeh if you trade once a week a pip doesn't matter , but if you trade a dozen times a day it's an issue.

top trader said:
i give 10 out of 10 as far as trading in indices is concern but much wider spread in others puts me off a bit.
e.g brent crude has spread of 8 while others do for 5 pips. even wider spread in individual shares in ft 100 shares. For example over 10 points in astra, cmc do it for 1 or 2.(even finspread do tighter spread than this).... another one ,say ,is bp...2.1p vs. 0.5p with cmc.

when are you, marvin, going to take action on this?

thanks
Well I don't think Marvin is working at WS anymore, he has moved on to another job in Hong Kong.

Last edited:
henry766 said:
i agree with you top trader , this and the short hours for the fx 1pip spread puts me off ( trade stocks through cmc at mo)
During these short hours on FX, is when the most of the action take place. I find it rather interesting.

Last edited:
laptop1 said:
Everyone knows I have had my problems with WS and its all documented on the old world WS thread. but I must say they have improved. Their 1 pip spread on the Dow Futures is like trading the real market, but without paying commission, its fast, :-0 but I am only trading small testing methods live with real money, but they don't now that.

I can recommend trading the Dow Futures with them. I don't know what the other markets are like, but the Dow is fast and instant
Good to hear that you are confirming some of the things, that I have been mentioning on this thread. Are you swing trading Laptop?

gle 101, if i remember rightly worldspreads fx stops1 pip spreads at 4pm , there's a lot of action left , i'd say almost to 9 pm when U.S. starts to close, obviousley some days are busier than others but in essence this is true ???correct me if i'm wrong!!!

henry766 said:
yeh if you trade once a week a pip doesn't matter , but if you trade a dozen times a day it's an issue.

If a pip *really* matters then you wouldnt be using a spreadbet firm, you'd trade the underlying instead.

Especially all the DAX/FTSE traders, since WS quote full points, when the underlying is in half tick increments

henry766 said:
gle 101, if i remember rightly worldspreads fx stops1 pip spreads at 4pm , there's a lot of action left , i'd say almost to 9 pm when U.S. starts to close, obviousley some days are busier than others but in essence this is true ???correct me if i'm wrong!!!
Most of the important news releases come during the day, at least when it comes to the majors, take today as an example. I guess it also depends on ones trading style.

Last edited:
gle101 said:
Good to hear that you are confirming some of the things, that I have been mentioning on this thread. Are you swing trading Laptop?
Since the 5,12,06. I have placed over 60 trades, so you could call it short term swing trades. I could be in a trade from 5mins to 3 hours. I only trade the Dow with WS, the fills and the speed are a big improvement on how they used to be. I must say, it have shocked me how fast the fills and how the fast the prices change, they are in line with the underling market on the YM tick for tick.

laptop1 said:
Since the 5,12,06. I have placed over 60 trades, so you could call it short term swing trades. I could be in a trade from 5mins to 3 hours. I only trade the Dow with WS, the fills and the speed are a big improvement on how they used to be. I must say, it have shocked me how fast the fills and how the fast the prices change, they are in line with the underling market on the YM tick for tick.
Thanks Laptop. Good to hear that your trading is working fine.

" If a pip *really* matters then you wouldnt be using a spreadbet firm, you'd trade the underlying instead.

Especially all the DAX/FTSE traders, since WS quote full points, when the underlying is in half tick increments "

An excellent piece of advice Arbitrageur if you trade at £10 a point and above,but what if you don't ?
What if you are a new trader or a trader struggling to make it ?

Lets do some basic maths to reinforce the point ( sorry about the pun ) I am trying to make :-

Let's assume a 10 point gain / target ( I trade ftse / dax futures )

You pay 1 point spread = 10% advantage to the Spread boys.

They sometimes " skew " the price 1 point ( e.g move the spread above the underlying at buy time and underneath at sell time )
This can in actual fact amount to more than 1 point.

So another point there so 2 points to overcome = 20% advantage to the Spread boys.

They shave a point off you at closing bet time, so 3 points = 30 % advantage to the spread boys.

This is an impossible edge to overcome for a lot of traders.Most forms of gambling games have an edge a lot less than this.No wonder most traders lose.

I realise that for the educated there is nothing new in this but for those that don't think a point here or there doesen't matter you are just kidding yourself.

laptop1 said:

Hi Laptop - good to hear things are going well.

gle101 said:
During these short hours on FX, is when the most of the action take place. I find it rather interesting.

I am and i have but i will keep an eye on you traders!

MarvinS said:
I am and i have but i will keep an eye on you traders!
Yes Marvin do that, I for one do appreciate your involvement. After so many years on the other side, you do have some valuable insights to share.

Arbitrageur explained what I was getting at about the importance of 1pt spreads. There's plenty on T2W boards about the problems you may encounter scalping with WS.

" Thanks for your reply Atilla.In fairness the 1 point spread is brilliant and market leading "

This is what was in my reply to Atilla a couple of posts ago,we are all in agreement 1 point
spreads are important.My post is specific to price shaving on closure.You say there is plenty
on scalping with W/S on these boards,perhaps you could enlighten me, a search with " shaving " and " ws " brings up nothing relevant.Do I take it that you have not experienced this happening to you then Phil ?

WS (allegedly!) has a policy of either banning or making life difficult for customers who scalp on short time frames, which I assumed is what you are doing.

gle101 said:
Yes Marvin do that, I for one do appreciate your involvement. After so many years on the other side, you do have some valuable insights to share.

Oh does that mean you want to know the truth the whole truth about spread betting? Valuable Insight, the hairs on the back of my neck are sticking up!

MarvinS said:
Oh does that mean you want to know the truth the whole truth about spread betting? Valuable Insight, the hairs on the back of my neck are sticking up!
Oh yes do tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, I love scary stories!