Women aren't stupid, are they....

ChartMan

Legendary member
There was a man who had worked all of his life and had saved all of his money. He was a real miser when it came to his money. He loved money more than just about anything, and just before he died, he said to his wife.......
"Now listen, when I die I want you to take all my money and place it in the coffin with me. Because I wanna take my money with me when I go. So he got his wife to promise him with all her heart that when he died, she would put all the money in the coffin with him.......
Well one day he died.
He was stretched out in the coffin, the wife was sitting there in black next to her closest friend. When they finished the ceremony,
just before the undertakers got ready to close the coffin, the wife said "Wait just a minute!" She had a shoebox with her. She came over with the box and placed it in the coffin. Then the undertakers locked it down and rolled it away. Her friend said, "I hope you weren't crazy enough to put all that money in there with your stingy old man.?"
She said, "Yes, I promised. I'm a good Christian, I can't lie.
I promised him that I was going to put that money in the coffin with him."
"You mean to tell me you put every cent of his money in there?"
I sure did," said the wife. "I got it all together, put it into my account and I wrote him a cheque."

Actually,
from my experience... there are fewer women trading, but on average they think more - from my customers the ones who generate original ideas etc it's definitely the women who shine. (A number of men are darn good too, it's just that the females make up maybe 10% of customers but between them produce 50% of the good ideas). I also find this in my workplace to a lesser degree. For the final coffin nail, when it comes to the ability to turn a used Kleenex into a multi billion dollar conglomerate I have no doubt at all that my wife will beat me to the finish line, she gets money from me I thought well hidden for a start!
Frankly, although it pains me to admit it, I suspect women will at least own the world, if not actually officially ruling it!
Dave

Male pride and ego is a major drawback when it comes to trading, making women generally easier to teach than men. Whether in the end they make the better trader I don't know, but generally I think it's easier for them.

The one big advantage women have over men is ... intuition. We just 'know' when it's not right, and that is very difficult to explain to a man, because it's not something they can usually experience or understand. Women traders will know precisely what I mean.

Nature gave women intuition, and it's our little advantage over you boys. :cheesy:

Men and women traders

I've thought a lot about this.

My take is that a good trader is a good trader irrespective of gender. So perhaps what we're talking about here is how men and women LEARN this business. There seem to be quite significantr differences.

Women seem to be much more risk conscious than men. So they manage their capital better. In practical terms they probably learn more quickly to stick to their stoplosses and keep within defined boundaries wrt the amount they risk per trade. OTOH, men seem to take a long time to understand about cutting their losses when the market moves against them, and seem to be willing to use stake money out of proportion to their capital. Given that the ability to accept and control ones losses is the first thing for a beginner to master, it will probably be the case at this stage that the women are learning more quickly.

The next bit concerns entries. I think women struggle more with this than men. The tendency, born of an oversupply of caution, is to hesitate too much and then give up too much profit as the market moves beyond the intended entry point. Men, being more inclined to take risks, seem more at ease with getting in when the opportunity presents itself. They may struggle sometimes with entries that are too quick, but seem to get over this one fairly quickly.

At this point in the learning game the differences between men and women seem more even. The men having to learn to focus on their stoploss discipline, and the women on their entries. Once these are straightened out, its probably all about learning to run one's trades. I'm not at all clear whether there's a gender difference here - i suspect not. A lot of what i get from people at this level (and i'm one of them) is that they go thro' a lengthy period of winning and losing - thus they are able to trade effectively, but not consistently. The net result is one's capital account remains about the same.

I'm not sure what comes next - not been there yet. I suspect the issues are more about position sizing, capital management etc.

Skimbleshanks said:
The one big advantage women have over men is ... intuition. We just 'know' when it's not right, and that is very difficult to explain to a man, because it's not something they can usually experience or understand. Women traders will know precisely what I mean.

Nature gave women intuition, and it's our little advantage over you boys. :cheesy:

Most intuitive comment to me by a woman was when I was working on a garage roof......lady of the house said "don't come down the ladder, I have taken it away".........

Can't speak about women in general - only the one I married.

She totally ignores my carefully crafted ta, buys when she fancies it, holds on through dips, sells (mostly) when the going gets rough and would describe herself as an investor, not a trader.

For every one of her buys and sells I have been in and out of the market a hundred times - but then I'm a trader aren't I !!! - sending brokers to ever sunnier climes.

The infuriating thing is that over 25 years she has out-performed me with ease, but I reckon I've had more fun (and more sleepless nights).

In February she breezed in and said she fancied Kingfisher, commandeered the computer and bought some. I had been reading the ta runes and come to the same conclusion. Since then she has held fast, I have been in and out of KGF (note the investor vs trader terminology) over half a dozen times, but she's STILL showing a better profit than me!! Of course, that's because I haven't mastered trading yet (after 25 years - come on!) - riding the swings has got to be more profitable hasn't it - please!

Jon

lol Dolton - she was probably thinking that you'd make one almighty splat if you fell ... and so to save herself the job of scraping you up, she felt obliged to point out the missing ladder :cheesy:

No, no, no. She told me she took the ladder away so that burglars couldn't get in.