Windows7 bugging me to 'activate' my software

Adamus

Experienced member
I bought a new PC a couple of weeks ago with Windows7. The techie guy where I bought it told me that activating WIndows7 means that Windows grabs serial numbers off the hardware like the motherboard and uses it to identify the PC it's installed on in order to register itself as non-pirated at Microsoft.

Apparently this means you then can't replace or upgrade your motherboard because Windows will then think it's being pirated and cause problems.

So I haven't activated it but Windows is now bugging me constantly to activate the operating system and it even has the cheek to have a little message on the wallpaper above the system tray saying this is a pirated copy!

I guess the corporate smegmasters at Microsoft have got all angles covered, but is there a way at least to turn off the constant system tray pop-ups?

Microsoft has figured out how to spend twice as much money in trying to keep their products from being pirated as they would have lost from the piracy itself...but of course you pay for it when buying their $$$$ pricey, full of bugs, software that sucks. Witness Vista.

Just my rant!

Peter

I think in the past windows versions you could swap motherboard 3 times before the key didn't work anymore. It should be the same with Windows 7, it's worth checking up anyhow!

Markus

1) Activate the damm thing
OR
2) You may wish to Google "Remove WAT" (WAT = Windows Activation Technology") should you wish for a permanant solution.

I bought a new PC a couple of weeks ago with Windows7. The techie guy where I bought it told me that activating WIndows7 means that Windows grabs serial numbers off the hardware like the motherboard and uses it to identify the PC it's installed on in order to register itself as non-pirated at Microsoft.

Apparently this means you then can't replace or upgrade your motherboard because Windows will then think it's being pirated and cause problems.

So I haven't activated it but Windows is now bugging me constantly to activate the operating system and it even has the cheek to have a little message on the wallpaper above the system tray saying this is a pirated copy!

I guess the corporate smegmasters at Microsoft have got all angles covered, but is there a way at least to turn off the constant system tray pop-ups?

Depends which type of Win 7 is installed. Full retail copy allows you to transfer it to a different computer. OEM version, usually installed to retail PCs, is married to that PC for life & not transferable. It's therefore cheaper. Activation notes details of quite a few components, many of which you can change without problem. Eg hard drive, extra memory. However, the processor and motherboard are not changeable under the activation scheme (unless they fail with a reasonable excuse - eg they failed inside warranty; in which case you have to speak convincingly to Microsoft - though your PC seller should sort it out in retail theory land).

Problem is, if you don't activate and let Bill Gates think you have a properly licenced copy then you can't download updates etc, which makes you vulnerable.

Some helpful info here http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-windows-7-licensing/1514
Even more useful here http://www.sevenforums.com/

Last edited:
my solution - one machine online, one machine off line, one can talk to the other, but the net can't talk to the designated off one, which is easy enough to do without hardware cascading or all that crap by just removing the subnet mask thus no vulnerability frozen in a predetermined state of my liking

I could of course buy a second OS but I bought it once that's my dealings with microsoft done in my opinion, so I cracked it for the second time round.

Ridiculous these monopolies, if I sold someone a hat but then said 'ah but it only gets worn on your head, woe bedide you if you put it on someone elses head"....well...I'd expect the slap ; a transaction is a transaction!

There is a loophole in their logic. Virtual technology abstracts the hardware layer. I can copy a virtual machine onto several computers without win7 knowing any better

I would also call the person you received the computer from and pick his brain. I have *never* experienced an OS doing that to me. But, that does not mean it isn't possible. Anything is possible with these machines. The second step should be calling Microsoft Support, which will be a very trying experience in it of itself for you. (If the person you received it from swears that it's a legit copy.)

Thanks for the info.

I am now about to put linux on the machine though, so problem solved.

I just wonder how much I actually paid Microsoft when I bought the machine.

LINUX is a good alternative. I am fairly certain most of the trading programs should work with little to no problem on them. In anything, but sure to become a member at the LINUX boards of the OS you're using. They'll prove to be extremely helpful if you have any questions.

I've always wanted to try LINUX myself, actually...

I would also call the person you received the computer from and pick his brain. I have *never* experienced an OS doing that to me. But, that does not mean it isn't possible. Anything is possible with these machines. The second step should be calling Microsoft Support, which will be a very trying experience in it of itself for you. (If the person you received it from swears that it's a legit copy.)
Heaven forbid you ever get to do that. They certainly won't solve your problem, unless you sign up for more patches or upgrades.
:LOL:

I found it a real struggle to work msn outlook express for email. It would receive ok but would not send. I got an error message 554. I have to send using hotmail.

Microsoft is a monopoly and gets your money without having to do too much. Therefore their products are low quality. So use something else instead. Ditch Outlook and download Thunderbird. The help and the docs are much better.

Microsoft is a monopoly and gets your money without having to do too much. Therefore their products are low quality. So use something else instead. Ditch Outlook and download Thunderbird. The help and the docs are much better.

Thanks

If you got an OEM version of Windows, then your copy is tied to the machine. If not, you just have to enter the SN again and activate. In my experience, the OEM also works if you swap your MB. Just call MS tech support and dictate some number, and they will give you some numbers to punch in, and everything works as it should.

It is possible that you got a pirated version of Windows from your tech.

Yes. I have found the best approach, if you want to use Windows, is just to let Windows do what it wants to do. Just grin and bear it. Think of Bill Gates burning in hell, if he hasn't managed to save himself with his philanthropy yet.