Why would you sell cable on Brown resigning?

arabianights

Legendary member
On that amusing little show there - surely Brown resigning would be a brilliant thing for this country and cable bullish?

Now talk of Rio Tinto / Chinalco deal collapsing the catalyst. Position unwind related to that. Bit of head scratching going on but that's more plausible than the Brown story.

if people thought 'ozzy' osbourne [and his 'sink or swim' polices] was going to be chancellor i could see why sell they'd gb ;)

in the uk you can be chancellor with no competence or qualifications [except being elected and the PM liking you.]

they should all sit relevant exams before becoming ministers.

in the uk you can be chancellor with no competence or qualifications [except being elected and the PM liking you.]

ive often pondered this, like serisouly what the **** does alistar darling know?

Now talk of Rio Tinto / Chinalco deal collapsing the catalyst. Position unwind related to that. Bit of head scratching going on but that's more plausible than the Brown story.

Yeah it seemed bizarre to me that only cable was doing it.

Thingis surely the large US house that are supposed to have done it can behave a bit more subtley than that for five yards, or is liquidity really that bad?

As always a confluence of factors mate. And as to how subtly the banks excecute, that really depends on a whole list of variables. In some cases it can actually be in their interests to make a bit of noise while they're doing it (i.e. if they're working a fix order for example)

Sounds like the same rigorous rules governing who can become a main board director of a UK bank....

In my view this would make absolutely no difference to how competently they perform. I have come across numerous highly qualified senior managers in business and public services who were hopeless. The most successful people I know have a natural flair for what they do and often not even a GCSE to their name.

Paul

The most successful people I know have a natural flair for what they do and often not even a GCSE to their name.

Paul

not sure i would want my brain surgeon, airline pilot, air traffic controller etc to have no qualifications or training but to claim to have a flair for it?

training works. even if in only weeding out those who have no ability.

not sure i would want my brain surgeon, airline pilot, air traffic controller etc to have no qualifications or training but to claim to have a flair for it?

This was in reference to government where there is not a set recipe for how to do things and not the professions where there clearly is. I am curious to know how would you train someone to run the Country and what attributes have those who have been good leaders in government had ?

Paul

This was in reference to government where there is not a set recipe for how to do things and not the professions where there clearly is. I am curious to know how would you train someone to run the Country and what attributes have those who have been good leaders in government had ?
If I can add my 2p-th here Paul, I’d take the best that industry and commerce had to offer and offer them the job. There’s very little (any?) difference between effective management of a large company and that of a country. It’s just a question of scale.

Paul

what do they do?

they design law. they design policy. they deal with staff . they take evidence. deal with contracts
these tasks can be broken down into steps.

so the least they can be trained in is in models of administration, models of good governance, man management,contracts and risk management, planning etc and have enough hinterland in those subjects to know if they are being taken for a ride or not.

i don't think they run the country. they set conditions. or remove them.

i agree that training in itself as seen in the turtle trading etc is not a fail safe . people can still not apply the training even if they have completed it successfully.

i would have more confidence in a trained person than a non trained person.