Who to follow on Twitter?

Big_P

I recently had the idea to put a Twitter feed next to my charts, so that while I'm trading, I can see some latest news, announcements, economic data, analysis etc etc.

I don't intend to use the information to influence my trading decisions (I already have a plan for that), but I'm looking for a feed that gives me an overall flavour of the markets.

For example, somebody might tweet that bitcoin is going crazy. Now this makes zero difference to my trading as I only trade one market and it's not crypto-currencies. But it's still nice to know what is going on in the wider world and what others are talking about.

Twitter have 'TweetDeck' which would be perfect for this. It streams the tweets in one neat column without needing to refresh.

Does anyone have a similar set-up?

Maybe this thread could be used to compile a list of the most useful handles?

Let's see it this takes off....

Big_P

I recently had the idea to put a Twitter feed next to my charts, so that while I'm trading, I can see some latest news, announcements, economic data, analysis etc etc.

I don't intend to use the information to influence my trading decisions (I already have a plan for that), but I'm looking for a feed that gives me an overall flavour of the markets.

For example, somebody might tweet that bitcoin is going crazy. Now this makes zero difference to my trading as I only trade one market and it's not crypto-currencies. But it's still nice to know what is going on in the wider world and what others are talking about.

Twitter have 'TweetDeck' which would be perfect for this. It streams the tweets in one neat column without needing to refresh.

Big_P

My research (for something else) shows that people generally do not twit negative emotions, so you'll end up only on the long end of the tweets + all the pump and dumpers, in the end this will be just one more useless distraction...

My research (for something else) shows that people generally do not twit negative emotions, so you'll end up only on the long end of the tweets + all the pump and dumpers, in the end this will be just one more useless distraction...

That's a very valid point Quantt.

But there must be some handles that just tweet economic data, or factual info? My idea was to replicate a squawk box, but in Tweetdeck form....

Your head will be heavy on Twitter. It's a bad idea. Trade in silence with a clear head.

I don't disagree with you Queen.

When trading, it's best to focus and just follow your plan and ignore all other noise.

However, my idea was to read the Twitter feed in the long periods waiting for a setup.... I hadn't planned to use Twitter as a basis of my trades, just to learn something in the downtime.

This could be a seperate discussion actually. What do others do when the market isn't showing setups? There's business news channels, websites, T2W....

What do people like to do? Surely you don't all eyeball charts for 8 hours a day?

This could be a seperate discussion actually. What do others do when the market isn't showing setups? There's business news channels, websites, T2W....

What do people like to do? Surely you don't all eyeball charts for 8 hours a day?

Actually, I don't trade at all (I have robots doing it for me), so I do enjoy my day job, spent time here, also have hobbies like fishing and hokey and testing trading ideas, reading books... Also I do exercise and take naps at lunch... 24 hours in a day is not enough for me... so many things to do and so little time... never be bored, my friend :)

A good news feed is better than the garbage these Twitter guys spew daily. Far too much noise.

No one at all. News feed only combined with an events calendar. The rest is noise to distract you.

Big_P

I trade long term setups (daily charts only) so I don't actively follow trading updates on Twitter.

I do follow Forexcrunch and DailyFX though, they give regular updates on the major currency pairs which I like to see from time to time (to see if I'm winning :cheesy:).

I have a friend who scalps currencies only using twitter feeds :LOL::LOL: I can try and see if he follows anyone useful.

I also found a guy on Instagram that posts trades everyday on Twitter (stocks only) and he seems to be pretty good so far. I think his handle is @stocklockalerts.

No one at all. News feed only combined with an events calendar. The rest is noise to distract you.

I tried Twitter the other day just to see what kids are doing, overwhelmed by the amount of people tweeting on same topic. I presume it would be very hard to find a golden nugget on there somewhere.

I tried Twitter the other day just to see what kids are doing, overwhelmed by the amount of people tweeting on same topic. I presume it would be very hard to find a golden nugget on there somewhere.

Yeah that's the problem, just too many people tweeting/retweeting etc, you spend your time just endlessly scrolling through a sea of nothing.

Have binned it and recommend everyone does the same, including for social/political stuff:)

Yeah that's the problem, just too many people tweeting/retweeting etc, you spend your time just endlessly scrolling through a sea of nothing.

Have binned it and recommend everyone does the same, including for social/political stuff:)

Tries again, can't stand it. Don't know how people don't see it as anything but noise. If you want breaking news there are plenty of good feeds out there